Anyone Have a Better Idea?

ajzepp

Anyone Have a Better Idea?
« on: 27 Aug 2019, 10:15 am »
I've been wanting to get some diffusion for the rear of my theater room (and possible the ceiling) for a few months, and finally got around to it. Ideally, I wanted to get four well diffusors from Ethan at Real Traps. Ethan suggested three diffusors on the wall, and then had a great idea of a fourth on a stand in front of the French doors, so it would be easily put into place when listening, and moved to the side when not. I loved that idea. Unfortunately, my budget just doesn't allow for it, and I had to go with a less expensive (and likely less effective) product.

So I have gotten several Vicoustic DC2 panels placed in the rear (see photo below), and now it's time to tackle the French doors. I'll tell you my current thinking on this, and then if anyone has a better idea, I'd really love to hear it. I want to have two panels vertically, to align with the coverage area on the L and R of the doors. What I was thinking of doing was taking a thick piece of signage/foam core board, and adhering the two diffusor panels to it. Then I would have a hook/string/wire/etc that would attach above the door and allow the whole apparatus to hang in front of the French doors. That way, as with Ethan's idea, I could just remove it and set it aside when not in use.

Anyone have any other ideas? Do you think what I've suggested will work?

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Anyone Have a Better Idea?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:00 pm »
Like the design, but the Styrofoam needs to be painted (water based) in order for it to be effective (acoustically reflective). 

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:41 pm »
It's already treated (and tested) by the manufacturer. Works great. Just trying to figure out the doors.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:55 pm »
Barn door hanging hardware with bottom rollers (single ones on the outside corners to stay on the wall/baseboard).

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:57 pm »
Thank you, sir

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2019, 11:54 am »
Well, this worked out better than I expected. On a scale of 1-10 for stability, it's a solid 6. I'll replace the sign board with something more stable and longer down the road, but for the time being, this did the trick.

Hipper

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2019, 01:54 am »
Thanks Hipper, much appreciated

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:42 am »
I'm using these Vicoustic diffusers, too. Because I didn't mount them directly to the wall with glue (I put them onto open-backed wooden frames), they tended to "ring" when I pinged them with my finger. I put Dynamat (self-adhesive  sound absorbing material for cars) on the backs, which stopped that.

Whether that is an issue for you or not, I don't know. I don't even know if it was a real acoustics issue for me, ;) but I do know I'm happier having done it.

The Vicoustic diffusers are a great choice. If money were no object, I'd use their wooden ones -- much prettier, and I'm told more effective -- but the EPS works fine at a far lower price.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2019, 11:45 pm by Mike in NC »

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2019, 09:19 pm »
I'm using these Vicoustic diffusers, too. Because I didn't mount them directly to the wall with glue (I put them onto open-backed wooden frames), they tended to "ring" when I pinged them with my finger. I put Dynamat (self-adhesive  sound absorbing material for cars) & on the backs, which stopped that.

Whether that is an issue for you or not, I don't know. I don't even know if it was a real acoustics issue for me, ;) but I do know I'm happier having done it.

The Vicoustic diffusers are a great choice. If money were no object, I'd use their wooden ones -- much prettier, and I'm told more effective -- but the EPS works fine at a far lower price.

I agree about the wood ones. If I had money to burn I'd definitely go that route. I really wanted to treat the ceiling with diffusion, so these were more cost effective, and so far I love them. For whatever reason, it was much chepaer to purchase them from a European dealer and have them shipped half way across the world than to buy them from a US distibutor, so my USPS delivery guy took an interest when he had to unload three huge boxes lol.

But I think these look fantastic and so far after installing the first 12, a nice improvement.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2019, 04:19 am »
TooCool: Sorry, didn't even see your post before now. I agree on the command strips. I should buy stock in that company given how many of those I've purchased recently! They work incredibly well. The "heavy duty hooks" work really well, also. They allow me to hang my GIK panels on my door w/out damaging it.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2019, 07:27 am »
No problem ajzepp. I should buy shares too as I have put loads more panels on the wall with loads more command tape.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2019, 01:15 pm »
Got any new pics of the handy work? 👍

toocool4

« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2019, 01:52 pm »
No but when i get some time, i will take some.