minimalist setup for omegas

bakufu

minimalist setup for omegas
« on: 15 Nov 2022, 03:23 pm »
i set up my omegas in our renovated drawing studio.  roon via mac-mini, benchmark 3b dac, eico integrated amplifier.

Kray

Re: minimalist setup for omegas
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2022, 03:27 pm »
Love the simplicity

bakufu

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2022, 04:37 pm »
the eico is still the best amp i've come across for these speakers.

Kray

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2022, 05:22 pm »
the eico is still the best amp i've come across for these speakers.

I've had great success with 421a based tube amp on Omegas

bakufu

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:18 pm »
i have a question about how to integrate a pair of deep hemp subs.  i have a few choices:

1. run the speaker cables from the same 8 ohm taps the XRS's are using.
2. run the speaker cables from one of the other amplifier outputs, e.g. 4 ohms.
3. slave the speaker cables from the XRS's; i.e. amp -> XRS -> sub.

there's no pre-out on the eico, so that option isn't available.

option 1 is the most awkward, option 3 the most convenient.  but how will option 3 affect sound quality?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2023, 03:45 pm »
They are all the same to a powered subwoofer.
The wire size doesn't matter, it is just carrying a signal.
I often recommend from speakers to sub if that is the easiest.

Kray

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:16 pm »
I agree with opnly bafld

I have dual subs and use your option 3. Connect the sub to the speaker terminals.

bakufu

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:23 pm »
They are all the same to a powered subwoofer.
The wire size doesn't matter, it is just carrying a signal.
I often recommend from speakers to sub if that is the easiest.

perfect - thanks to both of you.

jandrews

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:47 pm »
I think #3 is much more preferable option in terms of cable management.  I don't see how it it's any different from coming out from the terminals on the amp as it's essentially the same node. But, I've been told it's better to come off the amp.

I will be attempting a set up like this soon...as soon as I have some new feet for my 2 Omega subs to go on the wood floor...or maybe 2 platforms.
(I'm thinking of getting the SVS Soundpath sorbethane feet to replace the spikes)

Some related questions I've been meaning to put to this group:  When setting up stereo subs , each sub is only getting the L or R channel information ...is that correct?  Also, is it advisable to keep the subs on the same plane as the loudspeakers and does inside or out yield better results...or does it not matter?

bakufu

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2023, 05:03 pm »
I think #3 is much more preferable option in terms of cable management.  I don't see how it it's any different from coming out from the terminals on the amp as it's essentially the same node. But, I've been told it's better to come off the amp.

I will be attempting a set up like this soon...as soon as I have some new feet for my 2 Omega subs to go on the wood floor...or maybe 2 platforms.
(I'm thinking of getting the SVS Soundpath sorbethane feet to replace the spikes)

Some related questions I've been meaning to put to this group:  When setting up stereo subs , each sub is only getting the L or R channel information ...is that correct?  Also, is it advisable to keep the subs on the same plane as the loudspeakers and does inside or out yield better results...or does it not matter?

louis recomended herbie gliders as an alternative, which i like very much.

good question!  i've tried all sorts of configurations:  inside, outside, behind, in front ... i think i prefer outside and behind, but it depends on your room i guess. 

let us know what you settle on.

bakufu

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2023, 08:44 pm »
integrated the subs - two 10" deep hemps.  they're dialed down to just a hair above "minimum" enough to provide a bass ground for small ensemble jazz and instrumental music.  (i rarely listen to rock or orchestral music during drawing sessions -- too distracting.)

the listening space may seem a bit cramped for so much speaker, so i've included a photo looking down on the main floor of the studio. 

Loki57

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2023, 08:54 pm »
Nice loft. Love all the color.

bakufu

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2023, 09:09 pm »
Nice loft. Love all the color.

thanks.  after some experimentation i've decided that the eico hf-81 EL34 based amp and borderpatrol tube dac are the best combination in my inventory of amps and dacs for the omegas.  it's hard to believe that the eico was a kit aimed at amateurs, it's that good.  and although the borderpatrol maxes out at 24/96 resolution it's an incredibly *musical* dac, just a perfect match for louis's minimalist speaker aesthetics.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2023, 11:46 pm »
Some say it is hard to make a bad EL84/6BQ5 amplifier.

jandrews

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2023, 12:11 am »
I’m also using that Border Patrol dac with my Omega Super 7’s … (or Fritz Carbon 7’s depending on mood) with a Sayes 2a3 SET.  Agreed it’s a magical unit.

Kray

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2023, 05:53 pm »
Beautiful home Bakufu!

Some of my best sounding songs are great recorded 16/44, and with a R2R style DAC it's a perfect match.

bakufu

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2023, 06:44 pm »
Beautiful home Bakufu!

Some of my best sounding songs are great recorded 16/44, and with a R2R style DAC it's a perfect match.

thank you!  my wife has infinite patience with my tendency to fill every room with audio gear!