Your favorite recording of Brandenburg Concerto ?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Your favorite recording of Brandenburg Concerto ?
« on: 21 May 2014, 06:14 pm »
I understand this is a very subjective question. However if you would be kind enough to submit your favorite(s) and why it would help to provide more insight. I currently have several recordings and like the Diego Fasolis  two CD packs of Nos1-4 and No 5&6.

my latest purchase Brandenburg Concerto of Scottish Ensemble, I found that I like the faster movements and more dramatic presentation compared to the more authentic Conservative Fasolis version.

Do you have any favorite Brandenburg Concerto recordings you can turn me on too?

Photon46

Re: Your favorite recording of Brandenburg Concerto ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2014, 07:42 pm »
www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=59096  I am endlessly impressed with Reinhard Goebel's ensemble, their technical skills never fail to astound me. Some may question elements of Goebel's interpretations, but they work well for my tastes. Be sure to read Gramaphon's review of the set that is included in the link. Like that reviewer, I also like Trevor Pinnock and the English Consort's performance of this repertoire as well.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2014, 08:08 pm »
Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Ensemble or Masaaki Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan. While historically informed performances, they have a fuller sound and are more easeful  than many of the other HIP recordings and lack their astringency and, often, metronomic qualities.

Vulcan00

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2014, 03:36 pm »
Well, this is my newest purchase of the Brandenburg Concerto:

First I must admit that I am not a Scholar of Classical music however after listening to this CD I find myself a bit puzzled as to my original Subject line "Your favorite recording of Brandenburg Concerto". This is great CD and a very moving , I would use words like clean, intimate, warmer, closer, to describe his recording. This is surely first rate in sound quality and performance . The confusing part is in some of the concerto it is not as dynamic, not as Big? sounding, in comparison to my other recordings. However I feel closer to the musicians in this recording.

I am really starting to get into this!

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I intend on checking out your suggestions.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2014, 04:26 pm »
I have an Archiv release of Trevor Pinnock conducting an ensemble with original instruments from the day.  Will give a listen tonite.  While looking thru the "B's", I also came across some Bach concertos conducted by Bernard Thomas on the Dominus Records label.  Comments in the liner notes are all incredible by the likes of IAR, TAS, Fanfare, High Performance Reviews, The New York Times, and more.  From the liner notes, "The recording was made with two spaced omni-directional Schoeps mikes in a 12th century hard stone church in France on a Studer tape recorder and cut on a Neuman A70e machine".  I'll be listening to this, too.  Had forgotten about it.

Vulcan00

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2014, 04:49 pm »
While looking thru the "B's", I also came across some Bach concertos conducted by Bernard Thomas on the Dominus Records label.  Comments in the liner notes are all incredible by the likes of IAR, TAS, Fanfare, High Performance Reviews, The New York Times, and more.  From the liner notes, "The recording was made with two spaced omni-directional Schoeps mikes in a 12th century hard stone church in France on a Studer tape recorder and cut on a Neuman A70e machine".  I'll be listening to this, too.  Had forgotten about it.

This is no longer available according to my searches. Interesting, is this a record?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2014, 06:58 pm »
Yes, a record.

Alan

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2014, 03:38 am »
I recently got this one

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-j-s-bach-six-brandenburg-concertos.aspx

Very nice, a rather relaxed, laid back performance. Especially nice if you can use the 24-192 or dsd.