Another New SS 8 Owner

SCompRacer

Another New SS 8 Owner
« on: 18 Nov 2013, 05:39 am »
Greetings to the denizens of the Salk forum!

I bought some used SoundScape 8's Jim had listed in the available now child board. Beautiful black limba veneer.  I was deciding whether to have them shipped or make the 10 hour round trip to pick them up. Jim helped make that decision by offering to refinish the plinth bases as he noticed some scuffs on them. That would take a couple-three days and I wanted them by the following weekend so the wife and I made the drive.

Jim was there with his wife and a couple of his crew. He gave us a tour of the shop and showed us the veneer vault. I've never seen so much valuable and beautiful wood in one place. The highlight of course was hearing a pair of SS 8’s as mine were packed ready to go. Along with the plinth refinish, Jim also made a xover update. Via email he had sent me a picture of spikes and asked if I was OK with the ones they came with.  My speakers were packed in new boxes. But these were used speakers. I was impressed with this level of customer service that went along with a high quality product of such beautiful workmanship. Jim said new owners get birth certificates with their speakers; I got an adoption cert! Found it with the paperwork in the speaker box. What a nice touch. I've been Salked!

We had some nasty weather and a fridge conk out so I didn't have a chance to spend much time with them Sunday. Previously I had a pair of InnerSound Eros MK III’s for about 7 years. I'm not missing them as I thought I might. Thank you Jim!

Rich

Rocket

Re: Another New SS 8 Owner
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2013, 09:25 am »
Hi,

I hope you really like the new speakers and I can only imagine how great they sound.

Regards

Rod

MikeC78

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm »
Very impressive setup, Rich!  Looks like you decluttered the listening area with those speaks.  :thumb:  I'm sure they sound nothing short of amazing, as they look drop dead sexy!   I'm glad you guys made it safe through that nasty weather.  Heard there was a tornado that touched down just south of you, in Coal City.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2013, 01:43 pm by MikeC78 »

AliG

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:11 pm »
wonderful looking speaker...  8) luckily I didn't see the ad when it first came up or else I would have try to beat you to it! :green:

MikeC78

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:42 pm »
Double Post.

Beatlebum

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2013, 02:19 pm »
Congrats to you on your purchase from a fellow SS8 owner and they look great in your room!

You mentioned that Jim updated your crossover. Do you know what update he performed? Just curious and congrats again.

Thanks,

Tim

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2013, 10:09 pm »
Beautiful speakers.   The SS8 are on my bucket list.

(Update your systems' page  ;)  .)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:56 am »
Congratulations & welcome to the Salk Family. Haven't had the chance to hear any of the Soundscapes as yet, but did take a longing look at those when they were posted. Hope you are re-discovering your music library.  :thumb:

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:45 am »
They look great. Can't wait to hear your listening impressions with your gear.  I heard this speaker once over the summer at an audio show and it was a highlight of the show for me.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2013, 01:26 pm »
Another beautiful pair of SS8s. Congrats! Get to listening and report back.

JonnyFive

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:25 pm »
Congrats on those SS8's, they look beautiful! :)  Also, I'm curious about this question as well.

You mentioned that Jim updated your crossover. Do you know what update he performed? Just curious and congrats again.

SCompRacer

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2013, 07:22 pm »

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for the kind words all! I was too tired to play them Saturday, Sunday I started changing the audio rack, I don't need a double wide now. Then the severe storms set in, tornado warnings. After the F5 touched down here in 1990 we go in the basement when them sirens go off. When we came back up we found our fridge at 65 degrees; the coils froze up so I had to take that apart and use hair dryers to defrost it. Could be be defrost heater issue. Anyway, just too much real life drama! I can't even listen to my new speakers...lol

In regards to xover update, Jim said he would post some info about it when he gets caught up. I feel bad, I should have waited until he said something about it. IIRC the midrange is crossed a little higher. He had said the differences are very subtle.

So more later, unfortunately I still have to work for a living. 

Ern Dog

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:31 am »
Hey Rich,
Any update about how your new ss8's are sounding?

SCompRacer

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2013, 05:44 pm »
Currently I am powering them with some loaned Wyred SX-1000 mono blocks. Very impressive, neutral like the Sanders but neither have been  bright or fatiguing with my recapped Krell KSL pre and KSL phono (jfet/transistor design). My goal is to stay all SS. Nothing against tubes, I've had partial/all tube systems. I just prefer to make all SS continue to work for me.

The Sanders ESL amp at left was sold with my speakers, but it had worked well too. I am working on getting another beast Class A Krell KSA-250 to try. Otherwise very happy with SQ but don't know these speakers as well as my last pair. I am still experimenting with placement and di-poling mids. I plan to do some room sweeps to compare with my last pair of speakers.

Beatlebum

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2013, 06:06 pm »
Hey Rich,

Jeff Rowland Design Group Continuum S2 integrated amplifier with built-in phono card is what I'm powering my SS8's with and it sounds excellent! Tons of headroom, deep tight bass, very nice midrange and beautiful treble extension :thumb:

Good luck in your search,

Tim

OgOgilby

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2013, 01:21 am »
Congrats on the SS8's Rich! Very nice setup  :thumb:

-Greg

Ern Dog

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2013, 05:01 am »
Sounds like your having some fun :)

I can't wait to get some SS8's. I'd drive them with my Coincident Dragon tube mono blocks (75 wpc).

SCompRacer

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2013, 05:29 am »
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. At first it wasn't fun, but that was my fault. I just placed them where my other speakers were and they didn't sound as good as they could have. I had to remember I spent years with the other speakers and need to try different things.

I had tried my Sanders amp on some Revel F52's in a treated room and it didn't work out so well. Bass was good but mids and highs seemed lean. That didn't happen on the SS8's. The Revels loved the Krell amp so it displaced some BAT mono blocks and remained there.  So far I have been happy with the two different amps I've tried on the SS8's. Working on freight quotes to get the beast amp here, or convince my friend to deliver them.  :o :)

SCompRacer

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:52 pm »
The wife's been ill so not much time of late. I have some work to do but I'm gaining. I am using Dayton OmniMic V2 for room measurements. The upper trace is one treatment on wall between speakers, and no treatment behind speakers. GIK Tri-Traps in corners.

I'll have the Krell amp to try in early January.

robcentola

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:22 pm »
I've had my eye on those WFS Mono's the last couple of months. Good to hear you're impressed.

It must sound incredible in that room.