An integrated amp for Salk HT3

revrob

An integrated amp for Salk HT3
« on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:32 pm »
Hello,

Need some advice. I am trying to move from separates to an integrated amp that would do justice to my HT3's. The most I am willing to spend is $4.5 used or new. I listen to mostly R&B, jazz, female and male solo acts. Currently I have a Spectron amplifier and a Audio Valve Eklipse preamp, both are for sale, to fund purchase. It could be a hybrid or solid state, no all tubes.

If that is not possible I may sell my speakers for something that can accommodate an integrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My rack is too full of equipment and is overpowering the room. Also my son is going to college soon so I will probably downsize even more in the coming months.

Thanks.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: An integrated amp for Salk HT3
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:44 pm »
HT3s are pretty thirsty speakers. What's your preferred listening level, and what's your room like?

groovybassist

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2013, 09:25 pm »
I use an Aaron No.1.a integrated and think it would fit the bill nicely. Plenty of juice and slightly warm. A bit over budget new (I think they're $5500 now), but you might be able to find one used. Built like a tank to boot.

Enjoy the Music reviewed it not too long ago.

revrob

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2013, 09:32 pm »
Thanks. I will check out Aaron No.1.a integrated. I keep saying it is time to sell the HT3's because of the amount of juice they require. I may list them in the next week or so but they are great speakers. Maybe find a pair speaker that don't require so much power for what I can sell the HT3's for. Any suggestions?

My room is 14 x 18. I already listed my listening preference in the OP.

groovybassist

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2013, 09:58 pm »
If I was shopping in the $3500-4000 range, I'd be looking at Amphion Argon3 or Trenner & Fried Art, assuming standmounts are of interest. No muss, no fuss - just good sound.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm »

My room is 14 x 18. I already listed my listening preference in the OP.

Noted. However, I wasn't so much inquiring about your musical preferences. I was more curious about your listening levels; i.e. preferred sound level.

revrob

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm »
It is not often that I listen to music very loud, maybe 85db to 90 max. Most of the time I listen at low to moderate levels. I guess I am moving towards downsize my entire system. Thanks.

sounddog

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2013, 01:39 am »
I'd suggest checking out an LSA hybrid integrated amp - 150 watts and solid construction.

revrob

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:19 am »
I actually owned a LSA Signature. It was the best amp / integrated that I have owned or listen to. Totally seductive. In fact I owned 2, the Standard before the Signature. The problem is that the HT3's ate them for lunch. On loud passages the amp would clip and turn off. So I sold them.

Probably time to move in a new direction or the HT2's.

Thanks.

funkmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:36 am »
Modwright has an integrated (KWI 200) that I have seriously considered using to drive my HT3s...  It has received some very high praise.
Here's a link: http://www.modwright.com/products/kwi-200.php.  I would probably get the optional DAC to have a one box solution, I think you can also get a phono stage installed if vinyl is your thing.

Cheers,
Greg

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:56 am »
I never had any problems driving my HT3's to punishing dB levels with my 120-watt Van Alstine Insight amp.   All you need is solid engineering--nothing particualrly fancy.

funkmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2013, 05:42 am »
Good point Dennis.  I auditioned the HT3s being driven by a 140watt Yamaha receiver, and they sounded great.

revrob

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2013, 11:40 am »
Unfortunately that has not been my experience don't get me wrong they sound great but using small powered amplifiers IMO will not do any justice to the HT3's. I have lived with the HT3's for almost 2 years and they are very demanding speakers.

Maybe I reached the point in life where less is more. I will be listing the HT3's soon for sale. Great speakers if you have the room and the power, anyone want to trade their HT2?

Thanks

MichiganMike

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:31 pm »
Have you considered the Wyred4sound STI 1000?  At $2500 and 500 watts per channel into 8 ohms (1000 watts into 4 ohms), it may provide the power the HT3 requires in your application.   Wyred4soundreturn policy requires a 15% restocking fee, so you have about $400 at risk if you elect to order one to try.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:58 pm »
Unfortunately that has not been my experience don't get me wrong they sound great but using small powered amplifiers IMO will not do any justice to the HT3's. I have lived with the HT3's for almost 2 years and they are very demanding speakers.

Maybe I reached the point in life where less is more. I will be listing the HT3's soon for sale. Great speakers if you have the room and the power, anyone want to trade their HT2?

Thanks

Ditto.  If not for low volume listening, then get something bigger for the serious, sit-down, extended, critical listening.

martyo

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm »

Thanks

I've had HT3's for 5 years now, agree totally with you, they need the juice. My brother has the HT2-TL and I really enjoy listening at his place.

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2013, 04:01 pm »

Thanks

The HT2-TL's are great, so if you're really going to move to them I don't think you'll lose much as far as sound quality goes.  It's too bad you can't make the jump to SS8's - they're amazing and much easier to driver than the HT3's.  I hope everything works out for you.

Come on guys - surely there is someone willing to trade their HT2-TL's for the HT3's! :)

won ton on

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2013, 07:26 pm »
I've got ht2-tl's and they are great.You might want to consider supercharged song towers or regular one's.As you have the ribbon tweeter in the ht3's ,i would stick with them.Someone must have st's out there that wants to upgrade.Good luck

owlsalum1

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2013, 12:40 am »
I'd enthusiastically recommend the Luxman L-550AX or perhaps the L-505u. I own and use a 550AX and let me tell you everyone really must try Salk with pure Class-A at least once. I'd completely disagree with anyone who claims the 550AX doesn't have enough horsepower as I have personal experience driving my M7s with it. You must remember it's typical for Class-A to test out far more powerful to the 1% distortion standard than usually rated by the manufacturers. That's absolutely true for the 550 which actually has published performance of, if I remember correctly, 78 watts into 8 ohms. Luxman is well known for being crazy conservative with its specifications.

Since your HT3s are 4 ohm impdedance you'll get even better drive from a 550AX than I get with my 8 ohm M7s. The 550AX output stage and power supply is a half the impedance/double the power design.

I don't have experience with the 505u, but on paper it's more powerful and in your price range new. What can I say, I think the Luxman 'house sound' a great match for Salk.

The 550AX is a bit more expensive, around $5500 new, and I obviously think it's worth every penny.

floresjc

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2013, 02:47 am »

Thanks

I have 2009 era HT2-TL's, they sound great.

Where are you located and what do your 3's look like? I've been considering upgrading and I have plenty of power in a AVA Ultra Double 550 to drive them. A trade might peak my interest.