For Bruckner fans.

rotarius

For Bruckner fans.
« on: 7 Sep 2022, 12:46 am »
I got this on eBay, a Japan only release on Sony Blue-spec CD.  Way better sound than any of Celi's EMI releases, this one is a live recording in Tokyo from 1990.  Just terrific  detail and insight that seems to escape most conductors and yes the coda at the end is breathtaking.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: For Bruckner fans.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2022, 12:49 am »
The Munich Philharmonic is a great orchestra.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2022, 06:13 pm »
Thanks!

I wonder if this is the same recording? Says 1988. Maybe your Sony release is a "rehearsal" live performance before the "recording" session for Warner. Often live rehearsals are even better!
http://open.qobuz.com/album/hiatf98960l8a

I didn't see the Sony version on qobuz.

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:49 pm »
Totally different version than the 1988 recording on EMI at different venues.  I couldn't find it on a streaming service but Import CDs had it listed on eBay and I see some other Sony releases on Amazon.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2022, 10:41 pm »
Often live rehearsals are even better!
Correct, rehearsals are always fascinating, in the beginning of the SACD era there was an English label that recorded RPO and released most only orchestral rehearsals. The recording quality was PCM, not spectacular by today's standards, but the performances were always very interesting and constantly unusual as this below:
https://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/3525#5999