Asymmetric Room/Absorption v Diffusion

AllanS

Asymmetric Room/Absorption v Diffusion
« on: 22 Nov 2022, 02:02 pm »
Any thoughts on treating an asymmetric room?
How do you decide whether to treat first reflections with diffusion or absorption?  Either way I’d plan to use free standing panels on the left side but have no idea if this would be an effective way to restore some symmetry. 
Right now the center image is left of center.  I tried moving the right speaker closer to the wall. This improved center image position but that speaker was then easily placed in the sound stage- ie it reappeared (not that either exactly disappeared as set up).
The front wall / window will also be treated.
Thanks much for your thoughts.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Asymmetric Room/Absorption v Diffusion
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2022, 11:01 am »
No no no no, don't move your right speaker sideways to fix the center image, more it forward in 1/4" increments, or smaller, until the image centers.  And I should note put it back where it was first.  And take out all the toe in on both speakers while adjusting, toe in is last on the adjustment tree.

The room doesn't seem that asymmetrical, just a corner pushing in behind the speakers.  You can go with full on measurement of decay and frequency, but just to experiment you can go slow and try absorption at first reflection point on the side walls.  One of two of those clear half round deflection panels in front of the window with still let light in and some reports are that they're the best deflection you can use.  Others may have more expert opinions.

AllanS

Re: Asymmetric Room/Absorption v Diffusion
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2022, 01:31 pm »
Thanks much for your response. The asymmetry is in the side walls.  The right hand side wall is about 2 ft.  The left hand is open to the rest of the room which is another 8 ft.
I’ve not heard fwd/back for center image that but it makes sense.  I’ll give it a try.  I was moving closer to the side wall thinking asymmetric reflections were the reason for the image being off center.