Column in my listening area

motorcitym3

Column in my listening area
« on: 14 Apr 2022, 03:20 am »
I was wondering if anyone knows how to handle a 6" square column near my listening chair? 

I'm changing out my speakers with larger PBN Montana WAS's and I'd like to get 9' between the tweeters/tweeters to ears.  I'm curious if the column will mess with the imaging or sound stage.  Would an absorber placed of the front side of the column help?  Thanks in advance!

Current setup (8' between tweeters):

New layout (room is 33' X 24' X 8'):

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2022, 12:25 pm by motorcitym3 »

Wayner

Re: Column in my listening area
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm »
When I built my house, they tried to put a column right in the middle of my 28 x 32 foot music/av room, but a huge micro-lamination and 2 columns solved that problem. My listening area is between the 2 columns which now also support my surround speakers. Worked out very well.

I would rearrange your listening room by putting your speakers to long wall to the left (by the pool table), placing your listening chair between the column and the short bottom wall by the steps. This will get the column out of your listening area. Or if you don't like that, just reverse your listening chair and the stereo so its out in the middle of the room and the chair is against the wall. Hopefully your column has an outlet in it.

'ner

motorcitym3

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:04 pm »
Nice setup and thanks for the response. 

Unfortunately, I do not have power in the column so the swapping positions is a no go.

The other idea of putting the speakers on the long wall encroaches on the pool table stick clearance.  Hmm what to do?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:13 pm »
With Wayner's suggestion you could move the pool table to where the audio setup is now located with only minor interference with the pool table stick clearance.  Compromise audio or pool, the choice is yours. 

BTW that room seems very familiar.  Looks like you've made some changes since the RAM group was last there.  BTW barely got home that night (15 inches of snow). 

motorcitym3

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:32 pm »
Ha, yeah good times!  I did make some changes since you were over.  I repainted, added tile in the bar area, new carpet, took down the wall that had the fireplace on it and that's when I found a steel which is the column in question.

If I rearrange the pool table and place the stereo there, It's pretty much blocking the door going into either the theater room or wine cellar.  UGH

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:06 pm »
Or you could not worry about it at all.  The column hasn't caused a noticable issue so far.  Move the speakers out to where you want them and listen.  If you don't hear any problems enjoy life.  Problems?  Put a couple of heavy pillows or seat cushions in front of the column.  If it helps contact GIK here on AC and have them fabricate a solution, they have some stand mounts that might be perfect.  But I wouldn't try to create a problem where there might not be any, or go to elaborate lengths for a simple problem.

motorcitym3

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:10 pm »
Thanks, I think reaching out to GIK is a great idea.  Once I received the speakers, I'll listen and make that determination.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:16 pm »
Was thinking of the setup you show in reply #2 and moving the pool table to where the audio setup is now.  But yes, simply trying the setup you have now could work.  The column treatment idea isn't a good one as the thickness of effective treatments would exacerbate the whole column blocking issue. 

Now I know what that SE door leads to and why I didn't know before (wine cellar).   :green:

motorcitym3

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:32 pm »
Ha, my wife would kill me if everyone found out about her wine stash!

What if I made a semi-circular absorber?

Digi-G

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2022, 03:30 pm »
I'm no expert on these matters but I would think the side of the column facing the speaker really isn't an issue, but the side of the column you can see from your seated position.  I would think reflections from that side are what you'd want to minimize.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2022, 10:36 pm »
Let's not get sidetracked about the minor aspects of the room and concentrate on the wine cellar.  Mine is a walk in styrofoam room in a corner of the garage with a window unit hung on it. 3" foam in all dimensions-even the floor. Works pretty well for keeping things cool in the summer in Texas, but I don't even want to know what it adds in KW/Hours.
One of these days my daughter (or even grandchildren) will inherit some nice vintage Madeiras.  They'll never age enough for me to drink them   :wine:
Tell me about yours and what's in there??

motorcitym3

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2022, 11:12 pm »
It was a closet for our girls.  We emptied it out and added a half wall of wood storage and two wine coolers.  We plan to redo it later in the year with a brick floor, special lighting, and reconfigure the layout.  I doubt we'll cool the entire space though.  The temp in the basement is usually 69 year round and 35 % humidity.  We have a few Nappa/Sonoma wine memberships that send us 3-4 bottles every couple of months...nothing crazy.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2022, 12:54 pm »
Know you're an energetic kind of guy, but don't put much faith in much DIY.  Suggest giving GIK (here on AC) a call.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2022, 06:40 pm »
I have a column located about 5 feet to the left and 2 feet behind my seat. I had a bunch of Auralex pieces hanging around so I covered it in them. Not sure what affect the foam had as I don't remember listening without them.

Short of a total rearrangement, I'd say live with it. Anything you place on the column will only make it bigger and protrude further into the sound path.

Here's my column. Sorry for the mess.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2022, 07:08 pm »
You have my lamp!  I have two of them, Lowe's I think?