PSA: When to NOT stage your gear for optimal playback

rockadanny

OK, so I laid out my gear for optimal playback, such that its physical presence would not interfere with soundstage and depth perception, e.g., very low to the ground. The results are terrific!
However ... I had hip replacement surgery earlier this week. I envisioned my recovery to be hours upon hours, days upon days, of relaxing and listening to music.
PROBLEM: I cannot safely bend down to power on/off the gear, nor change CDs! About half of my CD collection requires bending and/or kneeling to access. And with no remote, getting up/down from the chair a few times for each CD to set perfect playback volume, I've rendered myself completely incapacitated from listening to my music! Ugh! :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

I am not happy.  :bawl:

John Casler

Re: PSA: When to NOT stage your gear for optimal playback
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:54 pm »
Have you considered a Music Server, where you rip your music to a Hard Drive?

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2022, 07:13 pm »
I would love to have that. Even better, I would love to have that already done! This may be a good opportunity to begin researching. Thanks for the idea!

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:08 pm »
I can relate, kindof.  I had Total Knee Replacement surgery in Sept 2021.  It was absolutely horrible.  I didn't even turn on my stereo for 3 months, not because of "reach" problems, but because I had absolutely no interest.  The pain was all consuming and didn't allow for focus on anything else.  Still struggling at 5 months, but feel up to listening on occasion.  Progress.   :roll:

Good luck on your recovery!    :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:16 pm »

However ... I had hip replacement surgery earlier this week. I envisioned my recovery to be hours upon hours, days upon days, of relaxing and listening to music.
PROBLEM: I cannot safely bend down to power on/off the gear, nor change CDs! About half of my CD collection requires bending and/or kneeling to access. And with no remote, getting up/down from the chair a few times for each CD to set perfect playback volume, I've rendered myself completely incapacitated from listening to my music! Ugh! :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

I am not happy.  :bawl:

I might add, that I had a total left hip replacement well over a year ago, and if you work on functional rehabbing, your reach and mobility issues should improve drastically.

I am back up to running stairs, and squatting close to 400# for reps.

But, that won't happen on its own, and be prepared for "small" steps of improvement.  You need strength and flexibility.  If you're over 50 be patient, but diligent.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:33 pm »
@sunnydaze - Thank you  :thumb:

@John Casler -
squatting close to 400# for reps
  :o  :notworthy:
I am over 65 so recovery might be slow, but I am improving already (surgery was Tue) with rehab. I will be dedicated in my rehab for sure and expect full recovery.
Hope to be listening to my system in the not TOO distant future.  :)

jfppal

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2022, 04:41 pm »
I completely agree with John Casler.
I'm backing up my complete CD collection (More than 1.000) on a NAS. I could suggest you the use of some audiophile apps like Exact Audio Copy (CD Ripper) and Neutron Player (USB player for Android -works with Chromecast, too) Playing music was never as easy and confortable as now. And, regarding audio quality, using a good DAC -clock accuracy of femtoseconds for an almost complete rejection of the jitter- I have never listened to my music better. The absence of a CD player adds more "silence" to the whole. No moving or mechanical parts involved.
Get well soon
Greetings from Spain,
JF

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:09 am »
Thank you jfppal  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2022, 10:35 am »
Get a small table and have somebody put everything up higher for your recovery period.  For the CDs you can't reach get a streaming service, I like Qobuz, and you have all the music on earth at your fingertips.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2022, 11:21 am »
Maybe an AC member in your area could help out. Where are you located?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:46 pm »
Had a similar setup with very small gear, which did help keep the soundstage clear.  Seems like having to reach down may actually help your rehab, don't take things too easy.  Had open heart surgery 8 months ago (at the Cleveland Clinic) and recovery was amazingly quick even with a 10 inch incision.  Did cardiac rehab but was a waste of time for me.  The hardest thing I struggled with was getting off the recliner sofa with it's spring loaded foot rest. 

While the coffee perks early in the morning I do various stretches including putting palms on the floor while standing.  Was losing range of motion in my 50's and have kept it up ever since.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 03:18 pm by JLM »

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2022, 05:58 pm »
Fortunately, I'm progressed in my recovery enough that I can now safely bend to reach my gear and operate the CD player. Whew!

I purchased an amp just prior to my surgery and had to tell the seller to NOT ship it yet! As I would not be able to take it from my porch down to my room. I could get someone else to do that for me, but I also need to rearrange my gear to swap it in. But ain't NObody moving my gear around but me. So, I think I am the first buyer in history to purposely delay shipment of a new amp!  :lol: I hope not too much longer for that.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2022, 07:05 pm »
I’m sorry I don’t live closer. I could help get your equipment to a better height

rockadanny

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2022, 07:37 pm »
@pumpkinman - Thank you for the thought!  :thumb: