Vertical dispersion in VMPS speakers

GeorgeK

« on: 23 Dec 2003, 03:49 am »
I am planning a new home theater. I do not intend to use a center channel, but will use 4 surround channels. I have read Martin DeWulf's glowing review of the RM40, but he points out that the vertical dispersion is nearly nil. In my case, my wife has a bad back and so all of her listening/viewing is while standing up. Does VMPS have any models where the vertical dispersion is so good that a standing-up listener will not be significantly disadvantaged, with respect to a seated listener? (By contrast, horizontal dispersion is not of such importance to me, since it is easy to locate both persons relatively close to the centerline). :?:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2003, 04:01 pm »
You have described the RM/X with its adjustable tweeter pod.  You have a full 45 degrees of vertical dispersion to play with.

SWG255

Re: Vertical dispersion in VMPS speakers
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:55 pm »
George,

The question is how important is fairly high-frequency information to your wife? If she's like mine, she won't care that much. As she says, "I can hear the difference, I just don't care about it". I'm not mentioning this to put down wives, yours or mine, but to allow me to point out that although the high frequencies are substantially rolled-off when listening to my RM40s standing up, the sound is otherwise quite pleasant and surprisingly detailed given the missing HF information. I for one don't mind listening to them standing or outside the sweet spot, as long as that listening isn't critical.

Most of my TV/movie listening is done well inside the optimum distance from the speakers so I can see the TV screen. In this seated position the image is very large, and on shows like the recent A&E Hornblower series, the sounds of thunder were actually coming from over my head because of course, the mid-bass driver was over my head!

Quote from: GeorgeK
I am planning a new home theater. I do not intend to use a center channel, but will use 4 surround channels. I have read Martin DeWulf's glowing review of the RM40, but he points out that the vertical dispersion is nearly nil. In my case, my wife has a bad back and so all of her listening/viewing is while standing up. Does VMPS have any models where the vertical dispersion is so good that a standing-up listener will not be significantly disadvantaged, with respect to a seated listener? (By contrast, horizon ...

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 08:31 pm »
Hi George,

As Brian has mentioned the RM/x is probably the best selection for your needs.

If you find it a bit over budget,  you can also look at the 626R with very carefully selected stand height (or tilt).

In fact all VMPS speakers can be vertically adjusted by slightly tilting them back to acheive various degrees of vertical dispersion.

Also the FST tweeter option will provide a greater dispersion characteristic