Pic of my new 40's

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Pic of my new 40's
« on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:03 am »
I can listen to them, but they do look good...

I am going to be building a custom rack to put in the middle.  The rack will be about 9-10" in height and be about 40-52" in width.

Here is the pic:

Horsehead

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:25 am »
Looks awesome!  BTW- you have the newer pedestal bases- the ones I never received  :x Can't wait to come up for a listen.

John Casler

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:26 am »
Looks Cherry George!!!

Man, it makes me miss my 40's.

Your room might be prime for the "sonic director" tweak too, if you do the nearfield listening thing.

Those Kora's are very cool too.  

I think I can even make out a BPT Signature L-9 with the big Z-sleeve in the backround

Looks like fun.

zybar

• Volunteer
Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:46 am »
John,

What is the sonic director tweak?

This is my initial placement (basically where I had my Silverlines).

Speakers are about 10' apart and I am about 14' away at my listening chair.  Also, they are 52" from the rear wall and 40" from the side walls.

GW

Horsehead

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:52 am »
Remember the MDF shelves I had sitting on top of my 40s? That is the "Sonic Director" tweak.

zybar

• Volunteer
Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:54 am »
That's right...

Good thing I have lots of spare mdf in the garage :!:

So what is the foam on the front of the speaker called?

:lol:

GW

Horsehead

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:55 am »
Ugly? :lol: That is the "Lapels" tweak.

ekovalsky

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2003, 03:03 am »
Very nice setup!  Beautiful pair of RM-40's!

Horsehead

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2003, 03:09 am »
I have some extra wedge foam I can bring up if you are interested in trying the tweak.

Hey Eric- I think your DCS stack, Rowland amp, and RM/Xs are going to win the "beauty contest" around here :thankyou:

audiochef

Rm40s
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2003, 04:41 am »
Very nice Zybar, please post a review when you get them going.

meilankev

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2003, 01:33 pm »
Well, George, it's amazing how similar our two rooms look (ha ha).  Let me see...

1)  Our RM40s are both Cherry Flambe'
2)  Our KORA monoblocks are visually identical
3)  We each have a front projector system

However, my sources and electronics are not between my speakers - they are in the rear-right corner.  Also, once you get the RM40s going, I'll be curious where they end up located in the room.  Mine are pulled out from the front wall considerably more than where you have yours located in this picture.

Congratulations again on receiving your speakers!!!  Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Kevin

zybar

• Volunteer
Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2003, 01:45 pm »
Kevin,

Hopefully I will be able to have mine more out into the room.

I put them at their currnt location to better handle a nasty room node problem.  With my Silverlines, if I had them 5-8' out from the rear wall, I would get a 7-15db peak between 60-80Hz.  In effect, I have put the speakers in a null to try and handle that peak.

Anyway, I might try passivley bi-amping the 40's.  If I do that, I will use a parametric eq for the bass.

BTW, what do you put your Koras on?  I normally have mine on a piece of flagstone.  I am contemplating going with 4" thick maple.

Do you have pics on AudioCircle?

George

meilankev

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:16 pm »
George,

My KORAs are on DH Squares.  I would guess these things are about 3/4" thick, so they are completely unnoticeable.

As to pictures, I took some pretty nice ones with our digital camcorder and downloaded them onto my "C" drive.  But I don't have a clue how to get them from my computer to one of these internet sites.  So I gave up.  After all, now I can just reference your pictures and they'll get the general idea (ha ha).

++++++++++++++

For those who are interested, although the KORA monoblocks that George and I own are visually identical, they are not the same.  George owns the "reference" version, which adds a bunch of goodies (he can clue you in to the differences).  For me, however, the biggest feature was the price differential - $1,600.  And since I was working on an absolute budget, there was no way for me to get there.

Well, not unless I wanted to live without a turntable, which costs just about that price.

Kevin

ekovalsky

Pic of my new 40's
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2003, 04:58 pm »
I found the RM-40's worked well placed fairly close to the wall.  Since they are not dipoles they do not need a big breathing spacing behind them.

The front center of my cabinets was about 33" out from the wall.  Speakers were toed in to fire directly at the listening position.  I basically followed Dunlavy's speaker placement recommendations, placing them on the long wall with the listening position very close to the rear wall.  

This resulted in a far more balanced bass response than having the speakers further out from the short wall, a la Cardas recommendations.
My room is not large, measuring in feet 14.5 x 17 x 10, and I do have absorption panels behind and to the sides of the speakrs as well as corner bass traps.

In George's case, the low ceiling should nicely reinforce/focus output from the top mounted mid-woofer.  Near-wall placement for augmentation of the low bass may not be needed since subs are being used as well.