Marks cabinets

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Marks cabinets
« on: 16 Dec 2003, 09:59 pm »
I hate to keep harping on this, but which VMPS models will be available with Mark Shifters cabinets, and how soon will they be available?

It's taken a lot of time, but my curiousity about VMPS is starting to get the best of me! :lol:   Some 626r's in rosewood is sounding pretty good...

azryan

Marks cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:54 pm »
Why would the cabinets have to be made in China to have Rosewood veneer?

I know you added the laughing emoticon but I'd heard other people ask this too.

It seems like the 40's are the only cabinet to be made in China for now and I'd asked a few times if there was going to be any added internal bracing or if the cabinet was going to be the exact same as the current version. Might as well ask again... 4th times the charm right?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Marks cabinets
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2003, 08:53 pm »
I'd go American made Rosewood, too, but I don't think that's ever been a VMPS option but it's *always* been the standard finish on the Rockets.  I suppose cost is the reason the VMPS finishes are so frumpy and plain-jane; anything that doesn't increase performance must be considered unnecessary.  But I like my speakers to be pretty, too.  Does that make me shallow? :wink:  :lol:

Maybe I just missed it, and maybe Big B has already answered this one, as I didn't realize that the arrangement was just for RM40 cabs.  I hope not, 'cause they're outta my price range.  With all the raves for the 626r's I just figured that'd be a good model to try out, since it's also pretty cheap (as decent speakers go).

Of course, your Alpha's would be beautiful in Rosewood, too.

wshuff

Marks cabinets
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2003, 10:25 pm »
Would it be possible to just veneer a speaker however you want after you buy it?  I mean, if you got the standard light oak or whatever, could you not then just veneer it any way you want (or have it done)?  Just a thought...

azryan

Marks cabinets
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2003, 10:43 pm »
Maybe you could get 626 cabinets in raw MDF w/ the x-overs wired inside?

Everything 'cept the drivers/binding posts/L-Pads soldered in and then you could buy any veneer you want and/or stain it to whatever color, then very simple to just finish the speaker yourself.
W/ some $5 contact cement it's just like placing a wooden sticker on your cabinets. Very easy.

I'm not talking a 'kit' price though. I'd expect to pay regular price but just have VMPS skip that final step so you could buy veneer online (it's not that costly .esp for such little speakers).

It'd be a 95% finished speaker and you asking for something not normal so

I wouldn't think you could expect a discount for this, but they should be able to do it as it's a bit less work for them than a finshed speaker?
Wait... maybe shipping the drivers sepp. would make it cost a bit more. Worth asking about I think.

My speaks were like $200 in veneer and I was told I overpayed (I bought locally instead of online). And that's fully wrapped top, bottom ('cuz i'm goofy), and back, and few speakers use less veneer. hehe

Does VMPS still charge extra to wrap the back of the speaker? If you got the 30's w/ veneer would the back still just be painted? IMO that's not what I'd call 'fully wrapped'.

I know for me I LOVE dark cherry (much like that Rocket -Rosewood)  but it just doesn't match my room.
Even if it looks killer in a photo if it looks outta place in your room it's no good.

It's cool when the speaker veneer matches the carpet, walls, and subwoofer veener.

Oh... and just a thought so no one hang me, but as long as were talking looks... I really think those grill peg holes on the RM-30's look ugly.

If I was looking to get a pair I'd really try to see if I could get them w/o grill holes. This alone would make this speaker look much better IMO along w/ almost any 'non-oak' veneer.
Adding the holes should only be more work and tiny cost for the peg hole bits so I'd think that'd be no prob. for them to just 'not do' for someone?

If anything does there need to be so many grill pegs? I think I counted 10 holes?

Wouldn't 4 just at the corners work well enough or did you find the grills fell off or buzzed on the cabinet or what?

wshuff

Marks cabinets
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2003, 05:06 am »
Implanting little magnets for the grills would be nice.  That way, for those of us who for one reason or another need to have grills, you get grills.  For those who like the bare look, you get it, with no grill holes.  And it would also help a klutz like me.  So far, between my 626Rs and LRC, I think I've broken 10 of the 12 pegs that go into the grill holes.  I've not had any trouble getting replacements from Brian, but it is a little embarrasing, so now I'm almost afraid to remove my grills.

John Casler

Re: Marks cabinets
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2003, 06:00 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I hate to keep harping on this, but which VMPS models will be available with Mark Shifters cabinets, and how soon will they be available?

It's taken a lot of time, but my curiousity about VMPS is starting to get the best of me! :lol:   Some 626r's in rosewood is sounding pretty good...

Hi Rob,

It is too early to answer that question.  While there is certainly going to be a "union" between MLS and VMPS, details and such will not be advanced until a meeting at CES.

Details will be released as nessesary and when they are agreed upon.

Brian and Mark are the only two who could begin to answer all the questions and at this point some of the issues are just being considered, while others are "solidly in place".

I'd love to speculate, based on my involvment, but that is not my place. :nono:

While you can certainly get the 626R in Rosewood (I don't know the source, but understand that most all of it is "plantation grown" nowdays) it would not be from the MLS "collection" right now.

I might offer this, however.  In postings with Mark recently we did discuss finsihes, and the selection will of course be Piano Black, Rosewood, and we talked of Bird's Eye Maple, Birch, and a special Ebony.

More to come Jan 11th or shortly thereafter.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Marks cabinets
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2003, 06:13 am »
Interesting.  I'll keep an eye out for any news.  It's certainly going to be a few months before I'd be buying anything anyway.  Gotta wait til after the holidays, maybe tax refund time.

JoshK

Marks cabinets
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:18 pm »
I think I have got to be the only audiophile that thinks Rosewood is gaudy!  I'll take Mahogany, Walnut or Cherry any day over the standard overated birds eye maple and rosewood.

Xi-Trum

Marks cabinets
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:34 pm »
Well, at this time, I have a pair of VMPS RM40 and a VMPS Larger Sub in MY main room.  I can only get more VMPS for other setups in the house if they become more attractive to the SO.  Of the ones I've seen, they still need cosmetics improvements.  This is where I'm hoping Mark can help [me] out.  ;-)

John Casler

Marks cabinets
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2003, 03:33 pm »
Quote from: Xi-Trum
  I can only get more VMPS for other setups in the house if they become more attractive to the SO.  Of the ones I've seen, they still need cosmetics improvements.  This is where I'm hoping Mark can help [me] out.  ;-)

I think (from what I have seen) MLS will help you considerably.   :wink: