Heard the 40's and I am going to get them

Horsehead

« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2003, 01:14 am »
Simple question- If the Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 had won the same award TWO years in a row, would TAS and Stereophile have covered and reported it?  Enough said.

Hey Brian- I think another ribbon guy is going to try the chick trick!
http://www.glacieraudio.com/Manufac/Gilmore.html  (scroll down)  :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RM40
« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2003, 01:28 am »
I don't know where you got your ideas about the Best of CES awards, but you are quite mistaken.

Tech TV is the media arm of the CEA, host of the CES Show.  They give Best of CES awards in 10 categories, of which we won High End Audio.  Other failed entrants included Snell, JBL, Silverline, the $68,000pr Swan Ribbon speaker, expensive electronics from the best brands, etc.  We swept the award both years with uninimous votes from the judges.  Do a search on Audioasylum for more details.

This "non-Audio" award was presented in the Grand Rotunda of the Main Exhibit Hall and was televised worldwide both in 2002 and 2003.  Go to our website to see the trophy.

Any magazine or online mention is small potatoes next to "Best of CES".

Sa-dono

Re: RM40
« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:06 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney

Tech TV is the media arm of the CEA, host of the CES Show.  They give Best of CES awards in 10 categories, of which we won High End Audio.  Other failed entrants included Snell, JBL, Silverline, the $68,000pr Swan Ribbon speaker, expensive electronics from the best brands, etc.  We swept the award both years with uninimous votes from the judges.  Do a search on Audioasylum for more details.

That's a tad misleading, and somewhat non-factual. The RM/X was one of the finalists in the "High-End Audio" category, along with the "$68,000pr Swan Ribbon speaker" you said was a failed entrant, as can be seen here. The winner[/i] of the Best of CES 2003 "High-End Audio" category was the Trinaural Processor, even if it was displayed through the RM/X speakers.

Brian Cheney

RmX
« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:09 am »
As there was no separating the two products, and we were the previous year's winner, James Bongiorno got the trophy since it could not be awarded to both of us.  This direct from the main Tech TV judge.

wshuff

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:38 am »
Small potatos or not, you have a magazine reviewer sniffing around the RM30/December 2 thread.  I for one would love to see John Kotches with a pair (or multi-channel) VMPS setup to put through the paces for WSR.  Maybe in conjunction with a TriP.  

As for the review conspiracy, Paul Scarpelli posted a thread about that very subject on AVS in the last month or so.

Brian Cheney

RMx
« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:55 am »
I've owed Tony Cordesman a review pair of RM/x for 6 months, so he'll go first.

I'll be very nice to any reviewer who shows up in our booth.  Maybe Stereophile will mention us this time, perhaps not.  It's been quite a run.

Although we'll enter the competition with the RM 30 I don't expect to win, since the VMPS booth has taken the top prize two years running.  
It would smell funny, and I've gotten too much hate mail already this year from disgruntled competitors and owners of other product disparaging the value and prestige of the Best of CES award.

However, if it's all new judges again, and memories are short, who knows...

wshuff

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:58 am »
I'd imagine it would be hard anyway since the RM30 is a step back, so to speak.  The RM40 was new and was the flagship in the line at the time, then the RM/X upped the ante.  The RM30 is smaller, more affordable, smaller.  Seems to me that it would be hard to overcome that expectation of "outdoing" last year's entry.  Of course, if the judges are all new...

Brian Cheney

RM30
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2003, 04:09 am »
Of course, I stack the deck a little.

I bring full room treatment with me--112 square ft of 3" Sonex, four large ASC tube traps, some roomtunes, and 3 years experience playing in the same demo room.   I've got Ampzilla electronics and--ace in the hole--the Trinaural processor.  Plus the best available progrm material--CD's the visitors bring themselves.  It's amazing the variety and high quality of the music people bring to shows.  I burned 10 CD's full of prime cuts last year, and 10 more the year before.  I encourage requests and will play anything customers want to hear.

The competion brings ficus trees, cone dynamic speakers (for the most part), the DVD of "Diana Krall in Paris" played ad nauseum, and prices ten times ours.  "Value" is one of the criteria for winning Best of CES.

"Finalist" would be nice...

Enrico

Re: RMx
« Reply #28 on: 3 Dec 2003, 05:08 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
I've owed Tony Cordesman a review pair of RM/x for 6 months, so he'll go first.

Now this is good news. Even though you may not think much of magazine review value, Cordesman is both one of the best and one of the most respected reviewers. his review of the ST3 SRE got you at least one additional customer (me!).