SRV - Tin Pan Alley & VMPS speakers

Iguana Man

« on: 14 Nov 2003, 03:21 pm »
I've noticed a couple of you folks mention this song by my favorite guitarist SRV, and how good it sounds thru your VMPS speakers. I listened to this last night thru my B&W DM604S2's in my acoustically crappy room and was still blown away by it.

Tell me what I could expect listening to this tune thru a pair of RM40's if you could.  :D

Told ya I'd be back John C. !

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2003, 09:00 pm »
Well, listening to the SACD via the Sony 777ES and my RM40's is about as "real" as I've heard on any Hi-Fi system, ever.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2003, 09:26 pm »
You really need to hear it on Vinyl :D

The 180 gram pressing played on the Teres 340 through the Hagerman Trumpet, Radii tube preamp, Radii tube mono-blocks into FST, Auricap 626Rs and a Larger sub at VSAC made me think I was in a smoky Austin club.

John Casler

Re: SRV - Tin Pan Alley & VMPS speakers
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 02:36 am »
Quote from: Iguana Man
I've noticed a couple of you folks mention this song by my favorite guitarist SRV, and how good it sounds thru your VMPS speakers. I listened to this last night thru my B&W DM604S2's in my acoustically crappy room and was still blown away by it.

Tell me what I could expect listening to this tune thru a pair of RM40's if you could.  :D

Told ya I'd be back John C. !

Glad to see you too :wink:

The Stevie Ray Vaughn cut actually has at least two versions and the kicker is, they both are "smokin" :smoke:

I have the SACD version on the album "Texas Flood" that Tyson has mentioned and it surprised me when it was different than the cut on "Couldn't Stand the Weather".

The reason it sounds so incredible on the VMPS speakers is that they can reproduce "metallic" sounds better than most any other speaker (IMHO)

So the sonic truth to the instrument seems much closer.  Additionally, the quality of both these recordings is such that the dynamics and microdetails are astonishingly clear.  That just happens to be one of the Neopanels strengths too.

The attack and decay are pristine since the ribbons don't seem to have the same amount of "overhang or ringing" you hear with conventional drivers.

And not only is SRVs axe  :guitar: sounding good but the bass is dry and clean, and drum kit  :drums: is fast, crisp, and high impact.

Even Stevie's singing is passable when intermixed with his stacccato machine gun guitar riffs.  "I heard a pistol shoot"  :guns:  "It was a Fourty Fourrourahh"  That pistol shot is about as good as the "gun cocking" in Dire Straits, Private Investigations.

While the recording engineer had a tendency in one of them to spread the drum kit to wide across the stage, the overall sound and cleanliness of the cut makes it an audiophile classic.

If your looking for another cut of similar nature, do try the aformentioned "Private Investigations" by Dire Straits.  While a little different, it is definately a "System Buster" if you don't have things set up right (when played loud 85db+)

I put together a CD of Reference Cuts that sound good on VMPS speakers and suggest them to my VMPS clients.  Both of these are on the list.

Now all you need are the VMPS and you are "in there".

I have one word for your current speakers....... Audiogon :lol:  :lol:

We need to Ribbonize you.  These "NEO"panels will help you hear and see the "Sonic MATRIX" (with or without Morpheus)

Which "Tin Pan Alley" version do you have?

It is also worth getting the other and comparing.  Anyone favor one over the other?  Or does anyone even have both??

Iguana Man

"Ribbonize" me !?!?! That sounds scary John
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2003, 03:37 pm »
:o

Audiogon my speakers eh ??  :cry:

I could always use them to replace my living room speakers you know. Oh, and you better sit down for this one.....the speakers I currently use in my living room for TV watching are.... :oops:    The infamous white-van speakers I picked up for $180 back in the late 80's !!!! (let the flaming begin, but at least they aren't Blose...I mean Bose  :wink:)

Anyhoot, the only problem I see with getting the RM40's (at least for now), is that my current HT/Music room is small and an acoustical nightmare. It's 12'x12'x8'. If your interested, hop over to dvdfile.com, go to message boards and look for the 'Your Home Theater' forum. You can find me under "Iguana Mans HT/Music/Gaming room" and you will see what I mean. I figure putting the RM40's in that room would cause you folks to beat me over the head with a tire iron  :!:

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2003, 05:38 pm »
Anyhoot, the only problem I see with getting the RM40's (at least for now), is that my current HT/Music room is small and an acoustical nightmare. It's 12'x12'x8'. If your interested, hop over to dvdfile.com, go to message boards and look for the 'Your Home Theater' forum. You can find me under "Iguana Mans HT/Music/Gaming room" and you will see what I mean. I figure putting the RM40's in that room would cause you folks to beat me over the head with a tire iron

Room size?  No problem.  

Look at this one..
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1043

11x14 is close, I think your biggest problem is not size, but the 12x12 square.  Equal sized dimensions might create a problem, but it would likely be the same with most any speaker.

Now about those folks with a tire iron :nono:

Iguana Man

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Room size?  No problem.  

Did you look at my HT ? The front left speaker is in a corner. I also have to recheck the dimensions of the RM40's....the left channel may end up blocking part of my projected image.......alas, you are making it difficult for me not to part with my hard earned cash, but don't worry....keep selling me man, keep selling me.  :D

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2003, 09:17 pm »
Did you look at my HT ? The front left speaker is in a corner. I also have to recheck the dimensions of the RM40's....the left channel may end up blocking part of my projected image

Looked for it but couldn't find 'Your Home Theater' forum

I could be blind  8)

But anyhow, we can make the room work :wink:

meilankev

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:56 am »
Hmmm, Tin Pan Alley?  I agree with all previous posters to how nice this sounds.  Yes, it does sound great thru my RM40s.  But then again, it was wonderful through my old Thiel speakers, as well.  In almost every way, it is simply an excellent recording.

However...

The mixing in this song just drives me crazy!  I don't understand why they do this.  What am I talking about?  Mr Vaughan's guitar work is all over the place - at times it actually bounces from speaker to speaker.  I know this was considered "cool" back in the late 1960's - particularly to listeners who were "under the influence".  But when showing off my system, I prefer a little more precision (and realism) in imaging than this recording offers up.

Overall, a great experience.  Just don't use it to demonstrate the pinpoint imaging of your VMPS system.  You might as well have Magnepans muddying things up.

Kevin

Iguana Man

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:35 am »
Quote from: meilankev
"under the influence".

And here I thought that was mandatory !?!?!  :mrgreen:

What would you consider a demo track for your RM's, if I may ask?
Something along the lines of TPA ?

Iguana Man

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:38 am »

I could be blind  8)

You need to go to Hardware first, then "Your Home Theater".

(at least I think so...I may be under the influence ) :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:42 am »
Hmmm, Tin Pan Alley?  I agree with all previous posters to how nice this sounds.  Yes, it does sound great thru my RM40s.  But then again, it was wonderful through my old Thiel speakers, as well.  In almost every way, it is simply an excellent recording.

However...

The mixing in this song just drives me crazy!  I don't understand why they do this.  What am I talking about?  Mr Vaughan's guitar work is all over the place - at times it actually bounces from speaker to speaker.  I know this ...

Hi Kevin,

As I mentioned earlier, there are at least 2 versions of this song and the one on "Texas Flood" is a bit more conservative in the engineering, compared to the one on "Couldn't Stand the Weather".

:guitar:

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:54 am »
Quote from: Iguana Man

I could be blind  8)

You need to go to Hardware first, then "Your Home Theater".

(at least I think so...I may be under the influence ) :wink:

Ah yes, I didn't see that step in the instructions.

I'll have to check later however, since they require a registration in order to view the pics, and I haven't been activated.

I'll see it yet :roll:

meilankev

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2003, 11:33 am »
John,

You have me really confused.  I own both "Couldn't Stand the Weather" and "Texas Flood".  But the song "Tin Pan Alley" only appears on the former.  Perhaps you have the latter on CD (and it includes some unreleased tracks)?

If so, then I can only defer to you - this would be a version of the song I have never heard.  I have only heard my vinyl copy, and Mike Knapp brought over a 180g vinyl recording during his first visit (but I didn't get to sit in the "hot seat" for that one).

If this CD version keeps his guitar work a little better rooted, then I remove my "caveat" from my previous post.

A wonderful recording...

Iguana Man,

I have given a "demo list" before, but it was specific for drums/percussion.  Many times a given song only highlights one or two "audio criteria", and to show off a different capability (such as piano or horns), you move on to a different song.  For example, the vocals on Van Morrison's "Crazy Love" from his "Moondance" album are exceptionally recorded, and it is one of the cuts I like to use for demoing "male vocals".  I also love this song.

But if I could only play one song for someone, and I want them to be most impressed with the all-around capabilities of my system, it would probably be "Mountains O' Things" from Tracy Chapman's debut album.  Heartfelt vocals, deep bass, and percussion to die for.  Of course, if I answered this tomorrow, I might give a different answer.

Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:37 pm »
John,

You have me really confused.  I own both "Couldn't Stand the Weather" and "Texas Flood".  But the song "Tin Pan Alley" only appears on the former.  Perhaps you have the latter on CD (and it includes some unreleased tracks)?

If so, then I can only defer to you - this would be a version of the song I have never heard.    

Hi Kev,

Yes this is the SACD and has some "unreleased tracks".

The TPA cut "IS" much better as far as a more lifelike soundstage and it is not engineered with drums and guitar all over the place.

It would be hard to choose between the two as far as which is "better overall" since the clarity and sonics of both are very good.

rosconey

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2003, 06:51 pm »
bought texas flood today because of this thread, is it me or do tracks 2 and 9 have the same rift?
anyway it kicks ass-tin pan alley is awsome
9.99 at  target, bought a new dvd also -toshiba dvd 727---192KHz/24 bit audio dac, sounds dam good for 79$ :mrgreen: