mains on/off controlled by relay for AKSA 100N+?

PSP

mains on/off controlled by relay for AKSA 100N+?
« on: 21 Jun 2008, 05:23 pm »
I have a Belkin PF-60 power sequencer/conditioner that I use to turn on my sources, the GK-1, the Orion Analog Signal Processor, and the Orion tweeter and midrange Life Force amps in the correct sequence.  Currently, the two bass amps (four channels of AKSA 100N+) are plugged into the wall and must be manually turned on and off.  I have not actually done the critical listening to see if the PF-60 limits the dynamics of the bass amps; instead I would rather avoid the potential issue by powering each bass amp from it's own mains outlet.

The PF-60 has a triggered 12 volt output that could be used to switch a relay to power on/off the 100N+ amps.  This would make it easier for me and my family to use the system (IMO encouraging my family to use the system is a very good thing).

So, can someone recommend a relay (or relay specifications, contact types, etc.) that will be reliable and have very high quality contacts (that will not add noise to my system).

Many thanks,
Peter

AKSA

Re: mains on/off controlled by relay for AKSA 100N+?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2008, 01:16 am »
Peter,

It would need to be rated to 120Vac and handle up to 15A peaks.  This knocks out gold contact flashing, but palladium should be fine in this application.  These gizmos have very long life, even switching inductive loads (like AC induction motors, widely used in industry and usually switched by relay).

I note that Jan Didden in his PAX Error Correction amp discussed in the latest Elektor is using an Amplimo on the speaker output, which is, I think, made in Europe and probably Dutch.  In this application, different to yours, there is raging, ongoing debate about the sonic downside of such relays, but most designers I've spoken with say there is no audible effect at all - and the protection is very nice to have.

Cheers,

Hugh

ginger

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:29 am »
Peter,
Not a real cheap solution but here are what I use to distribute 230V AC power around our Laser Airborne Depth Sounder System in a Dash 8 aircraft (the day job). Been working reliably for 8 years.

Schrack RM805012 (Tyco Electronics) Double Pole Change Over (DPCO), 12V 110 Ohm Coil (1.2 Watts coil power).
25Amps @ 250V AC Switching (6000 VA switch rating). These things have 1/4" (6.25mm) spade lugs for connections. A bit of "brick s..t house" engineering but best to over design than under design.

Radio Spares Cat No 376-880 @ A$32 each
Farnell Cat No 225-708 @ A$35.10

Farnell also have the 3PCO 16A Schrack RM705012 with the same coil spec. (Cat No 225-745) @ A$31.50

I'd be tempted to stick to the 25A rated job.
Net search should turn up your local Shrack (Tyco Electronics) rep. and they will almost certainly be cheaper than R.S. or Farnell.

Actually I use the 24V coil versions of these things BUT the 12V versions should give the same reliability.
Don't forget to wire a reverse biased 1N4007 diode across the coil to absorb back emf when switching off.

Cheers,
Ian

whubbard

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:20 am »
Laser Airborne Depth Sounder System in a Dash 8 aircraft

When you said that I was thinking that maybe you worked for Tenix...took one look at your email and got my answer.  :D
I'm not sure where I remember reading about LADS, but I think one late night I was reading about surveying the ocean floor and I came across it (well the old version, not the Mark II). Hppefully you get to be part of some of the classified work done at Tenix... 
:drool:

-West

ginger

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2008, 02:14 am »
West,
I'm happy working on LADS - try to stay away from the classified stuff (ageing hippy won't work on weapons systems or weapon aiming systems).
The LADS MKII is busy in Ketchikan, Alaska.
The RAN LADS (original system) which went into service in 1993 was finally retired Dec 2007 after 14 years of operation and the aircraft (an old Fokker F27) is here in Adelaide. We've designed, built and fitted a brand new replacement LADS System and are currently running trial flights to sort out the last few bugs. As usual I've got a weird mix of problems to address. Today working on an intermittent Laser Interlock (it thinks its running hot but is'nt) and, of all things, the aircraft intercom system (the pilot isolate switch doesn't- audio roolz).
Cheers,
Ian