dynaco sca-35 power suply capacitance

jameshuls

dynaco sca-35 power suply capacitance
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm »
Hi I just recently picked up a SCA-35 in mint condition (for $100!!!). It has the transformers with the cloth leads that are supposedly better. It came with RCA 7199 that test VERY strong, so no need to replace those for awhile. It also came with dynaco-labelled telefunken smooth plate 12ax7s! The old timer who sold it to me gave me such a good price because there was no output. Well, I tested the 4 el84s and they all failed. I replaced them and voila! One beautiful sounding machine. I listened to it all day on Saturday in my main system consisting of efficient Zu Druid speakers and a VPI Scout turntable. I couldn't believe how good it sounded!

Anyways, I plan on upgrading all the passive components and bypassing the tone controls to improve the sound. I also have the SDS labs power supply replacement board to replace the two large caps etc. This circuit uses 5 x 220uF/450 V and 2 x 1800uF/35 V caps.

My question: Will increasing the value of the capacitors change the sound in any way. My understanding is that the greater the capacitance the greater the smoothing ability so I would expect, if anything perhaps a more dynamic sound. I have some extra 10,000 uF Nichicon Fine Gold caps I thought  I would use in place of the 1,800 uF caps. If for some reason it is thought that these would be too large, I assume that 2,200 uF would be fine?

Also, I have some very high quality F&T 220 uF caps. However, they are rated at 385 V, as opposed to the 450 V caps specced for the circuit. I guess I just have to take my volt meter to the circuit to see what the voltage is at but I though I would just put the question out there. Is there a chance that these caps could fail? Thanks for your help!

Any other advice on this unit would be greatly appreciated!!!