BRYStON BDA-1

TomS

Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #320 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:50 am »
Hi All,

Was just informed that you will see a SUPERB review on the BDA-1 External DAC in an upcoming issue of Stereophile!

james

Sounds good...

On the topic of the BDA-1, I'm thinking about getting a Slimdevices Transporter to replace my SB3. I will likely still run it through my BDA-1....but anyone here try the Transporter against the BDA-1 for comparison?

Just curious.

Keith
I have the BDA-1 with stock Transporter, however I also use the Empirical Audio PaceCar2 for my setup.  I didn't spend a lot of time with the stock D/A in the TP, but in my brief comparision the BDA-1/PaceCar2 it is just overall a much more musical combination.  I just had no urge to go back at all as it sounds terrific.

KeithA

« Reply #321 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:39 am »
Hi All,

Was just informed that you will see a SUPERB review on the BDA-1 External DAC in an upcoming issue of Stereophile!

james

Sounds good...

On the topic of the BDA-1, I'm thinking about getting a Slimdevices Transporter to replace my SB3. I will likely still run it through my BDA-1....but anyone here try the Transporter against the BDA-1 for comparison?

Just curious.

Keith
I have the BDA-1 with stock Transporter, however I also use the Empirical Audio PaceCar2 for my setup.  I didn't spend a lot of time with the stock D/A in the TP, but in my brief comparision the BDA-1/PaceCar2 it is just overall a much more musical combination.  I just had no urge to go back at all as it sounds terrific.

Thanks Tom

I have no intention of not using the BDA-1 as the DAC. I was just curious based on the glowing things I've read on the DAC in the Transporter recently.

I'll have a look-see at the Pace Car as well.

Keith

95Dyna

« Reply #322 on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:19 pm »
Hi All,

james

Sounds good...

Just curious.

Keith

Thanks Tom

I have no intention of not using the BDA-1 as the DAC. I was just curious based on the glowing things I've read on the DAC in the Transporter recently.

Keith

What would be ideal would be more Transporter like devices available with a no DAC option.  I have a hard time paying the $2K for the Transporter when you know a significant part of its cost is the internal DAC and you've already spent $2k for the BDA-1.  Are there any "no DAC" digital players out there anyone?

TomS

« Reply #323 on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:58 pm »

What would be ideal would be more Transporter like devices available with a no DAC option.  I have a hard time paying the $2K for the Transporter when you know a significant part of its cost is the internal DAC and you've already spent $2k for the BDA-1.  Are there any "no DAC" digital players out there anyone?
The IOBOX or Popcorn type of network media tank appliance is about as close as you get.  192k net connected streaming for under $300.  It just happens to include a cheap DAC you can afford to ignore.

KeithA

« Reply #324 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:56 pm »
Hi All,

james

Sounds good...

Just curious.

Keith

Thanks Tom

Keith

Absolutely. But I have a second small system in the living room that I've ben looking at getting a DAC to run that Squeezebox through. So, I figure give the Transporter a go and I'll use it in my main system for a while. If no improvement over the Duet, I'll just put it in the living room system.

But, even the Transporter has the option of 96/24 playing and has the word clock input if I want to go down that road as an upgrade, Etc....

So, I'd even have a hard time myself paying that much if my only option was to use it in my BDA-1-based system. So, overall, its worth the adventure.

keith

KeithA

« Reply #325 on: 29 Aug 2009, 10:16 am »
Hi All,

james

Sounds good...

Just curious.

Keith

Thanks Tom

Keith

Absolutely. But I have a second small system in the living room that I've ben looking at getting a DAC to run that Squeezebox through. So, I figure give the Transporter a go and I'll use it in my main system for a while. If no improvement over the Duet, I'll just put it in the living room system.

But, even the Transporter has the option of 96/24 playing and has the word clock input if I want to go down that road as an upgrade, Etc....

So, I'd even have a hard time myself paying that much if my only option was to use it in my BDA-1-based system. So, overall, its worth the adventure.

keith

All that and the fact that I'm getting a used 'As New in Box", virtually unused Transporter for $1,300 is just icing on the cake aa

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #326 on: 4 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm »
Hi James,

Sorry for my long time of silence...

After 3 month of hearing my system in many different setups I'm absolute sure that I've bought a fantastic DA-Converter.

My preferred setup is to go with 44.1 kHz over the coax output of my CambridgeAudio 840C, into the BDA-1. The C840C enables to upsampling the digital output up to 48, 96 and 192kHz! but it sounds much better to take the 44.1kHz output signal for the BDA input. In the BDA-1 the upsampling make sense. For my system it sounds warmer and natural as without upsampling. The BDA-1 was connect via the XLRs to the BP25.

If Bryston will rollout a solid state 'BCD-1 lite' drive without DA-converting to feed my BDA-1, I will buy it blind to replace the China build Cambridge-Audio.

Since two month I've hooked a 2nd 4B-ST in my system. In my case the main benefit of bi-amping is the short way between amplifier and speaker. Now the speaker-cord length is much more less then 1meter. I use one channel to drive the subs and the other channel to drive the mid and the tweeter. But I use the passive crossover in my speakers. From the BP25 I go over the 4 RCAs with 2.2 meter long Silent-Wire NF7 cords to the 4Bs. It sounds much better as my first setup with short coax between pre- and main-amplifier and 3meter long speaker-wires. A further benefit was to avoid the heat accumulation in case of staggering the main-amplifiers.

In future I will replace my two 4B ST with a pair of 7B SST (!), but my cash auditor related by marriage needs more time to think about it?

These are the news from Germany.

Kindly Regards,
 Ralf

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #327 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:01 am »
Yeah, I figured the BDA-1 is better than the 840C. That player is a lot of hype. To me, it's Chinese made junk.

Sajk

« Reply #328 on: 8 Dec 2009, 10:36 am »
I am using Bryston BDA-1 for 2 weeks and quite happy with this amazing device via SPDIF and BNC. aa Anyway I have one small problem and can't solve it for a few days.
I am trying to use DAC via USB connection in Windows XP, I see "KS driver" in foobar (plagin for Kernel installed) but foobar "freeze" during playback, at the same time via ASIO4ALL everything runnig well. Few questions:
1. How do you use BDA-1 via USB?
2. Is it possible to install "native" Kernel Streaming driver instead of Usbaudio.sys (Windows XP)?
3. Where I can find 'native' driver with ASIO support, like well known "Ploytec" for Windows XP instead of ASIO4ALL?

Waiting for your advices!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #329 on: 8 Dec 2009, 12:59 pm »
Hi Sajk,

I will check on this but USB does not use asio drivers.  USB is a 2-way system and you must choose BDA-1 in the list of audio outputs available in Windows XP.

Go to 'Control Panel' - then 'Sounds and Audio Device's - then 'Audio' tab and the drop down list should show "BDA-1".

james

Sajk

« Reply #330 on: 9 Dec 2009, 05:34 am »
Hi James,

honestly, I don't know how it works but there are many devices (external sound cards and DACs) on the market with ASIO driver support. Please take a look to the 'generic' driver from Ploytec http://www.usb-audio.com
Usually devices sounds better via ASIO then via operating system's mixer.
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2009, 10:47 am by Sajk »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #331 on: 9 Dec 2009, 11:21 am »
Hi James,

honestly, I don't know how it works but there are many devices (external sound cards and DACs) on the market with ASIO driver support. Please take a look to the 'generic' driver from Ploytec http://www.usb-audio.com
Usually devices sounds better via ASIO then via operating system's mixer.

Yes I have 3 soundcards and I use ASIO but I was not aware of ASIO cards that work with USB - thanks I will check it out.

james

bmckenney

« Reply #332 on: 12 Dec 2009, 06:30 am »
I'm looking for some feedback.  My budget is around the price of a BDA.  I am currently in the planning phase of selecting a music server front end.  I will be using a Mac Mini and I was focusing an a Firware DAC along the lines of a Metric Halo ULN2.  Minimal jitter is important to me.  But there are other options available.  Another option I have been considering is an async USB Ayre DAC.  But I'm drawn to Bryston because of the warranty, the reputation and it is a Canadian company.

I know the BDA has jitter reduction technology, but I'm curious if that can be improved upon.

Has anyone used jitter reduction reclocking devices with the BDA and were the improvements significant?  Since the BDA alone is near the limit of my budget I don't see an Off Ramp or Pace Car being part of this system, but I might I might change my budget if it makes a lot of sense.  A more affordable device would defineately be doable though.  Such as an M2Tech Hiface.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Bryan

P.S.  I have not read this thread in detail yet, but if the subject has already been discussed in detail let me know. 

bmckenney

« Reply #333 on: 12 Dec 2009, 07:37 am »
Interesting review of the BDA-1 here;

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64204.0

-- Ian.

This seems like a case of a less than optimally setup system masking and smearing sound.  I really found the review useless, not interesting.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #334 on: 12 Dec 2009, 12:50 pm »
Thanks!  :green:

Sajk

« Reply #335 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:21 am »
Hi Bryan,

I've tried to connect M2Tech Hiface to the BDA-1 via BNC (Windows XP -> Foobar -> KS stream). The sound is very detail, much better then my current source Squeezebox Duet and BDA-1 USB connection.
Now I am looking for ASIO drivers for 'native' Bryston's USB connection, waiting for advices from other BDA-1 owners   :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BRYSTON BDA-1
« Reply #336 on: 26 May 2010, 05:54 pm »

Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:17 PM
To: Bryston
Subject: Customer Response

Customer Response

I have known about and used Bryston products for over 25 years

My System:
AMP: Linn Majik 6100, Bryston 2B
PREAMP: Linn Kairn, Bryston .5B
SPEAKERS: Linn Active Isobarik, Yamaha NS-690
TURNTABLE: Linn LP-12
CD-DVD: Linn Karik, Numerik

Comments:

I thought I would let you know how pleased I am with the Bryston BDA-1. It is a big upgrade to my system and listening experience. I have had a lot of opportunities to listen to the unit in a number of different configurations and it makes everything sound amazing.

My music server now is indistinguishable from my CD player (both played through the BDA-1). I am spending a lot of time going through my music collection finding out what new things the Bryston reveals!!

Thank you,
Allan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #337 on: 3 Jun 2010, 09:18 am »
TubesTrans 

This is a great piece,very musical.I'm just going to list some of its highlights in my system.My old converter was just that,old,so everything was improved with the BDA-1. My experience with this converter tells me it needs a minimum of 100 hours to fully burn in,probably closer to 150.Depth and what I like to call Quench took the longest.

I much prefer my redbook cds with a chaser(upsampling on)its presentation while upsampled is fantastic,very spacial,disolves the room boundries,excellent top to bottom-left to right-front to back imaging.I like to be included in the soundstage and this piece does this in spades. The top end is as close to class A as I've heard from any digital front end. Beautiful dymanic range on individual instruments and voices(quench).

Solid rhythmic room filling low end. No matter what volume setting,it has a relaxed,eased-effortless quality,nothing is forced,beaming.Your allowed at your own leisure to pick up and follow individual voices,instruments. Amazing ability to transport you to the recording venue,wether it be a hall,church or stage,superb ambience. Another neat feature is the color of its upsampling LED with redbook cds,its a perfect match for ye ol' fire bottles!

~~GREAT CONVERTER BRYSTON~~

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #338 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:41 am »
Awesome.

adol290

Re:Bryston BDA-1
« Reply #339 on: 7 Jun 2011, 07:26 pm »

Hi Phurbag,

No immediate plans.  We do use the USB currently with the I2S input but we are going to hold off until the USB chips support the 192/24 that the rest of the BDA-1 inputs support.

james

Hi James,

Will it be possible to upgrade the USB connection on existing BDA-1's when the 24/192 chips are available?

Bill

Hi Bill,

That's the plan.

james

James,

Now that we have 24/192 USB chips, will you be offering an upgrade option?