FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.

Pez

FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.
« on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:22 pm »
Wow it's been a crazy time. We went from complete unknowns to 'slightly knowns' by some and it only took 10 years! I have enjoyed doing coverage. It's been a pain in the ass, a learning experience and one of the most incredible things I get to do every year. I've made a ton of new friends along both inside and outside of the industry and my friendship with Tyson has grown immensely as well. Just the coolest thing to go around arguing and laughing with that guy. Tyson you are the man! We kicked ass buddy and I’m proud to have done it with you!

We started doing this because we HATED the way these shows were covered... What I hate in the industry are reviewers who go out of their way to prove their credentials. Golden earred pricks with business cards and advertisers. They may have near ideal hearing and a thesaurus full of superlatives at their disposal for all their favorite gear, but their advertising and bought/paid late night dinners with the Wilson rep lack something, clear conscious based honesty. No one had 'outsider' perspective. That's what I feel we brought to the table and hopefully changed forever!

As far as the show itself. I do feel like we've left a lasting impact on the way coverage is done. Prior to us all you saw were online rags and old school mags posting show coverage several weeks after it all happened. And the content was very bland. 'here's the new dynaco 745 model speaker with MTM configuration. the box was built to minimize cabinet resonance and is made with a proprietary composite of blah blah blah it sells for $42,000. It sounds wonderful'. They're tethered by their advertisers and of course corrupted by it as well. No one was 'shooting from the lip' and giving honest opinions. It was funny, vendors didn't know how to handle us. We were lashed out at, called amateurs, biased etc etc etc. And most of the industry dismissed us. Now many of them have taken advice from us on occasion. That’s pretty amazing.

I appreciate all the support through the years and really feel the love (sometimes hate, fair enough!!!) of this community. I hope we have ushered in an era of guys with laptops and a cameras pissing people off in ways we hadn’t even thought of yet! Because dammit! This industry has survived too long on backdoor deals and shady press!!!! Go get em guys.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:23 pm »
Oh man, what a wild and crazy ride it’s been.  10 years since my first RMAF, I remember how starry eyed I was back in the beginning.  I said to Jason those first couple of years “Man, can you believe it!  This show is AWESOME, they have like all the Wilson gear and a bunch of Dynaudio top of the line speakers!!  Holy crap, Denver has ARRIVED!”  Hahaha.  My my, how times have changed.  Oh, RMAF still has all that stuff, but it gives me literally zero excitement.  What does get me excited are the smaller guys, the nimble companies, the guys with a great idea and the passion and perseverance to see that vision come to life.  If I had not had the experience of meeting these people, of going to these shows, of seeing and hearing the best that was possible in our industry, my life would have been much poorer for it. 

And of course the people we’ve met along the way have enriched our lives in their own right.  Fellow hobbyists as well as passionate manufacturers.  Laura, Rim, Klaus, Lou, oh shit I’m gonna stop there or I’ll have a massive paragraph of just the names of the people!  But you know who you are – prowling the halls of RMAF with us, or prowling our ridiculous show coverage threads with our preposterous opinions.  Thank you all and I am so glad to have shared this time with you. 

Last but not least, Jason (Pez), who is my best friend and fellow nerdinator.  I could not and would not have done any of this without you.  Thank you for always being there, supporting me when I needed it, and pushing me when I needed a kick in the pants.  Every single show we got better at this whole thing largely because of you.  We are certainly at the top of our game right now and it’s a tremendous way to go out.  For that, and for everything else that I won’t bring up here, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:27 pm »
Unfinished notes I didn't know how to fit in but I feel still need to be said:

I have heard a constant barrage through the years about my 'bias' and why I'm not 'qualified' to make observations. And never once has anyone asked me 'what makes you qualified?' Not a single damn time. I have a Minor in music, build my own gear, my own listening room, 20 years of being an enthusiast, much of that time working professionally installing audio/video gear in people's homes, etc etc etc. I have worked my entire adult life (from the age of 15 to 35) pursuing this passion.

But nope, I'm biased because REASONS!!!! and only when the gear I reviewed was a negative review! Never was I questioned for a positive one!

When we first started these shows room treatments were rare, voodoo bullshit was abound and plentiful. Our painstaking bitch slapping of these behaviors has changed the way things are done, and that is awesome!

Going to these shows I have heard numerous times from industry insiders that the name of the game with online mags and old school mags is the same; buy ads, get noticed, rinse wash and repeat. Failure to do so means the spot light is given to someone who is willing to.

Anyone who argues how unbiased they are OR those who are actually trying to be unbiased are kidding themselves. Saying someone is unbiased is just as absurd as saying they are perfect.

Sorry guys, it's just been really hard to fit all of this stuff in a coherent string of thought.

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:34 pm »
Andddd kiss each other...

Just kidding boys (though I wouldn't be surprised)..   I think I speak for a lot of people when I say - thanks -.   It's been a real pleasure gentlemen.  You two jackasses changed the RMAF show coverage game and we're all the better for it.  At the end of the day, all good things must come to an end.  Thanks for all of your time and hard work.  :) 
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2015, 12:15 am by Zero »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:41 pm »
You know, I've followed y'all through the years and admired your chutzpah. Perhaps you did change the future...

I want to say one thing to Pez, though. Your avatar weirds me out.

So there!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:41 pm »

Yeah, get a room!  I think I threw up in my mouth a little  :lol:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2015, 08:50 pm »
Wow it's been a crazy time. We went from complete unknowns to 'slightly knowns' by some and it only took 10 years! I have enjoyed doing coverage. It's been a pain in the ass, a learning experience and one of the most incredible things I get to do every year. I've made a ton of new friends along both inside and outside of the industry and my friendship with Tyson has grown immensely as well. Just the coolest thing to go around arguing and laughing with that guy. Tyson you are the man! We kicked ass buddy and I’m proud to have done it with you!

We started doing this because we HATED the way these shows were covered... What I hate in the industry are reviewers who go out of their way to prove their credentials. Golden earred pricks with business cards and advertisers. They may have near ideal hearing and a thesaurus full of superlatives at their disposal for all their favorite gear, but their advertising and bought/paid late night dinners with the Wilson rep lack something, clear conscious based honesty. No one had 'outsider' perspective. That's what I feel we brought to the table and hopefully changed forever!

As far as the show itself. I do feel like we've left a lasting impact on the way coverage is done. Prior to us all you saw were online rags and old school mags posting show coverage several weeks after it all happened. And the content was very bland. 'here's the new dynaco 745 model speaker with MTM configuration. the box was built to minimize cabinet resonance and is made with a proprietary composite of blah blah blah it sells for $42,000. It sounds wonderful'. They're tethered by their advertisers and of course corrupted by it as well. No one was 'shooting from the lip' and giving honest opinions. It was funny, vendors didn't know how to handle us. We were lashed out at, called amateurs, biased etc etc etc. And most of the industry dismissed us. Now many of them have taken advice from us on occasion. That’s pretty amazing.

I appreciate all the support through the years and really feel the love (sometimes hate, fair enough!!!) of this community. I hope we have ushered in an era of guys with laptops and a cameras pissing people off in ways we hadn’t even thought of yet! Because dammit! This industry has survived too long on backdoor deals and shady press!!!! Go get em guys.

I was originally just going to quote this for truth:

This industry has survived too long on backdoor deals and shady press

But after reading again, the entire post deserves a QFT.  Incestuous is unfortunately, the word that best fits the industry. 

standub

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:16 pm »
Thank you guys for the coverage you have my gratitude, even if I think your ears don't work some times.  :P

And on this last note
When we first started these shows room treatments were rare, voodoo bullshit was abound and plentiful. Our painstaking bitch slapping of these behaviors has changed the way things are done, and that is awesome!

I see you didn't hit up the Magico room :green: :green: :green:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:05 pm »
Tyson and Jason,

you guys ROCK :rock: Thanks for covering the show the RIGHT way. :thumb:

My favorite part of RMAF is spending time with you guys, Lou, Dan, Klaus, Alex, Rim, Scott, Marjorie, and the other friends I have met over the past 11 years.

« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2015, 05:58 pm by vinyl_lady »

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:30 pm »
I want to say one thing to Pez, though. Your avatar weirds me out.

So there!

And your avatar is............alien or nuclear-morphed insects?  :o  :lol:

rascal

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:08 am »

I am sorry there were online reviews and feedback from end users long before you started posting.  Please don't claim to invent- this is laughable.  :o

Also speaking of industry affiliations- I find it hypocritical of folks here in AC (and A'gon too) do not reveal their association with companies or gear (either to provide feedback or reviews or to check products beforehand) and without disclosure  make comments on the products. You know who you are  8) Pretty distasteful IMHO to impugn integrity of other reviewers :roll:

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:17 am »
And sorry for my defensive response in another thread. I despair of these shows and of the industry, and hobby, in general. 'Audiophile' used to refer to a person who was interested in the reproduction of sound- how it works, how it can be improved, and how well you can do it given what you have to spend. Now it connotes conspicuous consumption and ridiculously overpriced 'tweaks'. As I mentioned elsewhere, a short passage from Vincent Belanger's cello, live at RMAF, put the lie to all the claims of 'you are there' realism. All of this is why people roll their eyes when they hear the term 'audiophile', and it is driving people away, not drawing them in. If people think they have to spend a thousand dollars on a power cord, as a price of admission to good sound, you've lost them. I don't know how many more times I want to go see fifty rooms of equipment I would never ever buy. About the only way to get truly top class sound without spending five (or six in many cases) figures is with headphones. That's too bad. In many ways, it is, as Alan Parsons put it, a situation in which:

jriggy

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:29 am »
Agreed with seeming on top of your game, guys! And maybe the relaxed and mainly positive vibe in your coverage this year was due you guys knowing it was your last? 
Regardless, it was a great read this year!
I have only been around here for 6 years (wow, time flies!) and only remember your coverage of RMAF maybe 4 or 5 times... After a couple I remember thinking, about Pez, who is this guy that does this coverage and then disappears from AC for the rest of they year?
SO, don't disappear! Spread your qualifications to the forum! :wink:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
Tyson and Jason,

you guys ROCK :rock: Thanks for covering the show the RIGHT way. :thumb:

I agree. You guys kick ass!!! :thumb:

Thanks for all of the great coverage over the years, the laughs, and all of your hard work. Your reports will be sorely missed.

Have fun,

Jerry

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:55 am »
I am sorry there were online reviews and feedback from end users long before you started posting.  Please don't claim to invent- this is laughable.  :o

WTF are you talking about? Did I say I invented shit??? I said no one was doing live show coverage and on the spot reviews. I didn't invent either one, but no one else was doing it so... Any way as I said, haters gonna hate. What's really laughable is how quickly you went from enjoying my coverage to being a douche. That's gotta be some kind of hypocrisy world record.

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:00 am »
Agreed with seeming on top of your game, guys! And maybe the relaxed and mainly positive vibe in your coverage this year was due you guys knowing it was your last? 
Regardless, it was a great read this year!
I have only been around here for 6 years (wow, time flies!) and only remember your coverage of RMAF maybe 4 or 5 times... After a couple I remember thinking, about Pez, who is this guy that does this coverage and then disappears from AC for the rest of they year?
SO, don't disappear! Spread your qualifications to the forum! :wink:

I know, I'm terrible. I have been here for ages. I guess I just got to the point where I personally didn't find a lot of value in being here. Not because this place isn't AWESOME which it is, but because I'm rocking pretty damn near what I consider audio nirvana in the last few years. I used to post all the time! I would come here to find new gear and learn about new stuff. Now I know enough that the consumption/contribution portion of my musical quest is at the end game. Going to the show year after year has also drastically tamed my lust for 'the best' because I know its not just a subjective idea, but an ever moving goal post. I will visit more because I know I'm missing major stuff! But I doubt it will ever be like it was 6-7 years ago.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:03 am »
SO THAT'S IT? Just when you're getting good at it, you're going to hang it up? Three days. THREE DAYS! is all we ask of you to bring us the most E . N. T. E. R. T. A. I. N. I. N. G. coverage of a premiere audio event out of a whole years worth of , usually, incestuous glad-handing reportage and you lazy bums can't work up enough gumption to  see this thing through until they have to pry the laptops from your cold, dead hands? No work ethic, I say. Thanks guys, thanks a lot. 

No, really, from the heart of my bottom THANK YOU!   :thumb:

rascal

« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:06 am »
WTF are you talking about? Did I say I invented shit??? I said no one was doing live show coverage and on the spot reviews. I didn't invent either one, but no one else was doing it so... Any way as I said, haters gonna hate. What's really laughable is how quickly you went from enjoying my coverage to being a douche. That's gotta be some kind of hypocrisy world record.

Your EQ is showing up  :lol:. I enjoyed your coverage and still state that I did. However for you I became a douche bcoz I was critical of your post? Wow

You claiming (again) that no one was doing live show coverage- is laughable.  And not disclosing your engagement with some of equipment early on (may be tips, non-monetary consulting, evaluation, whatever) is also hypocritical when you criticize other reviewers who do the same with Ads or $$ involved :-)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:08 am »
Thanks for the coverage, good luck with the bromance.

cheers,

AJ

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:35 am »

Just kidding boys (though I wouldn't be surprised)..   I think I speak for a lot of people when I say - thanks -.   It's been a real pleasure gentlemen.  You two jackasses changed the RMAF show coverage game and we're all the better for it.  At the end of the day, all good things must come to an end.  Thanks for all of your time and hard work.  :) 

Haha, Jason and I don't roll that way.  Not that there's anything wrong with that  :wink: