Thoughts on the new C8 Corvette anyone .........

twitch54

Thoughts on the new C8 Corvette anyone .........
« on: 23 Jul 2019, 09:32 pm »
as an old fart and an owner of 6 previous Vettes for the past 42 plus years and counting I can say, I'm 'smitten' !

https://www.motor1.com/news/361376/gm-explains-c8-corvette-price/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Thoughts on the new C8 Corvette anyone .........
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2019, 09:54 pm »
Corvettes could have 3 seats and a central steering wheel as the McLaren.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2019, 10:32 pm »
Here's hoping GM's production line runs smooth and fast and dealerships somehow discouraged from gouging premiums  :nono:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:04 pm »
If I had way less interest in my stereo.. I could buy one. But since my stereo money pit exists, and I feed it constantly.. I have to settle for my Focus ST. At least I have a MANUAL transmission....

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:56 am »
Vette went to mid engine so it can try to beat the newer sports cars like Ford GT and Porsche RSR in endurance racing. With the new LeMans Hypercar and new LMP3 class coming soon sports car racing is alive and well!

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2019, 01:41 am »

.... and dealerships somehow discouraged from gouging premiums  :nono:

At that price? Fat chance.

If I had way less interest in my stereo.. I could buy one. But since my stereo money pit exists, and I feed it constantly.. I have to settle for my Focus ST. At least I have a MANUAL transmission....

Good to know you have your priorities straight!

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2019, 03:22 am »
Exciting car. Finally an American NSX! :wink: I hope it makes a similar impact on the world of affordable high performance vehicles. Not that I could get one anyway, but man.....no manual trans option. :| Yeah, yeah...I know. Automatics with all the computer controlled stuff are pretty amazing these days. But there's something to be said about rowing your own gears especially if the vehicle has a really slick shifter.

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2019, 09:40 am »
It does have paddle shifters, although I don't use my e93's. 
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/07/19/2020-corvette-stingray-c-8-manual-transmission-stick-shift/1775405001/
It is a beautiful car in my eyes.

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:08 pm »
I own a C6 and I am seriously considering buying a C8. I am leery of first year new generation cars in general, so might wait a year. It's a fluid idea at this point.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:18 pm »
I think it's amazing and would buy one if I could afford ~$75k... and having a 2nd car as this couldn't be my only car. It starts under $60k but imo you have to have Z51, Magride and LT2 for the HUD and PDR.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:20 pm »
I own a C6 and I am seriously considering buying a C8. I am leery of first year new generation cars in general, so might wait a year. It's a fluid idea at this point.

I know, buying a slightly used 2021 in 2022 might be a good way to go. 

I can wait, I have an '18 Camaro SS 1LE which is an amazing car.   :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2019, 02:43 pm »
I've never owned a Vette, but can see the design language of this new C8 hitting the mark.  It's a beauty.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2019, 07:19 pm »
Vette went to mid engine so it can try to beat the newer sports cars like Ford GT and Porsche RSR in endurance racing. With the new LeMans Hypercar and new LMP3 class coming soon sports car racing is alive and well!

if you're implying that the front engine Corvette couldn't compete you're wrong. As a platform more true to form of it's actual production sibling it has proven to be one of the best.

Simply put, it was time for the mid-engine evolution to take place.

As for the 'Ford' GT it was NEVER design to be a true production car like the Vette, rather another shot @ LeMans and the 'F' car, to which it succeeded. I hope you also realize that Ford did not actually build the car.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2019, 07:38 pm »
Agree. The front engine platform had pretty much reached its pinnacle for performance with the C7 and it only makes sense that they took the next step with making it mid-engine. Look at Porsche. They basically did the same. Not until the intro of the Cayman did Porsche have a production, mid-engine, car. The Cayman is a little beast too from which Porsche has learned a lot from. It pushed the 911 to be a better (MUCH better) car. I think the future of the Corvette is brighter now than ever. I look forward to seeing old dudes out driving them. I'm kidding. I'm kidding. :jester: I can only hope to have a sweet ride like a Vette when I retire.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:00 pm »
meh...

Id rather something that looks like a quarter mile North American car, than
some european based look. But with the same (better) HP and twist.

Thinking Hellcat.... :popcorn:

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2019, 11:32 am »
PDR I understand that perspective.

The Vette was born a sporty car, and then became a benchmark muscle car during the years it developed and changed.

But somewhere along the way it became a real sports car and left behind (in my opinion) the pure muscle approach.

I'd say the Hellcat is less a sports car and more a muscle car for sure.

Scott F.

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2019, 11:49 am »
I've been (sort of) following the rumor mill on the innerweb for the new C8. It looks much better with solid paint rather than the camouflaged version seen on the streets and track. I really like the looks of white one.

The good news for the used car buyers among us on the C8 is, the used price of the C7's and C6's are going to drop like a rock about 6 months after it officially hits the streets. There will be an absolute glut of Vette's on the market. As it is, you can get a C6 with very little miles (<30k) for between $20 and $30k. Same will happen to the C7, which is a damned fine car (said by a Ford guy  :oops: ).

At some point, I'll likely get a gently used Vette. Right now, I've got a BMW 650 Cabrio in my sights, maybe the M version if I find the right one.

Blackmore

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2019, 01:35 pm »
And Scott, don't forget that Cora (C5 version) is a pretty good deal if you like the pop up headlamps.  :o   

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2019, 01:40 pm »
  American muscle car. Great looks. Never owned a Vette but this one looks really inviting in the right color.

charles

hi5harry

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2019, 01:58 pm »
I have always enjoyed the evolution of the Corvette over the years. In my opinion, the C8 is absolutely stunning! I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait to see this as an electric auto. Most people that will drive this car won't take it over 200 miles on a trip. It will be really quiet inside instead of how most mid engine cars are. It could be and absolute beast with TONS of horsepower and torque! Love the looks!