Squeezebox Duet Not Powering Up

Che422

Squeezebox Duet Not Powering Up
« on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:38 am »
Hi. This is my maiden post here, so I can't currently search the forums to see where/how this has been addressed, as I assume it has!
As of two days ago, my trusty Duet doesn't turn on. The red light from the optical out appears, but the lights on the front of the unit don't come on.
I was told it could be a faulty power supply, but tried another one and it still didn't power up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Squeezebox Duet Not Powering Up
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2021, 04:02 pm »
Sorry to hear the Duet isn't powering up.  It's probably time to replace the Duet I am sad to say.  There are a lot of products out in the market that probably cost less then a repair. 

I have had to replace a Touch a while back that I had for the patio.  It was a great product back in 2008 I think it was give or take.

Alan

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2021, 04:05 pm »
I had two of the first batch of Duets. It was so buggy on release that they were unusable. So I giggled at your trusty Duet remark.
But I'm glad they fixed the bugs and you were ale to enjoy it for so long.

Confirm new PS is 5V
Recent lightning storm? My guess is probably a dead IC.
Less likely something simple like broken power trace or shorted supply cap, etc.
Probe with voltmeter (negative probe to ground) to look for broken power trace and check for power to regulators and uP, but be very careful not to short any IC pins with the probe.
If there's power at the uP supply pin then it's curtains.  :cry:
Good luck!

DWG

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2021, 04:22 pm »
I have two Duet receivers.  Both power supplies failed.  IIRC correctly they are 9VDC.   Curious thing was I read the output voltage and it showed 9 volts on my meter, but they still didnt make the duet work.  So I tried a different 9VDC supply and it fixed the problem.  I ended up buying two new supplies at Microcenter.  The duet has an unusual size connector so I had to cut the connector off the original PS and splice it onto the new PS (after I cut it's connector off).  Power supplies were about $7 each IIRC.  Good Luck

sandbagger

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:13 pm »
If a PS doenst fix it just cut and run, build a cheap Raspberry Pi with a dacHat on it, Load PiCore Player on it and use the Duet controller to run it