The sound of silver

Redboy

The sound of silver
« on: 30 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »
For a couple of years I have been blissfully using a simple passive preamp that I built with Slagleformer modules, and it was the pinnacle of preamplifiers for me.

Was

A couple months ago I sent another email to John Chapman, asking him if there were any truth to the rumor that these magical modules could be wound with silver wire.  Oh, and dare I ask how much they might cost?  He replied quickly (as John always does) that yes, they could be wound with silver.  Yes, they are expensive and if it were him he would rather try to ignore their existence and spend the cash on a pile of records, instead.  A very sensible thing to do, I thought, as I considered the option... 

But I am not a sensible audiophile. 

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017, 08:44 pm by Redboy »

Redboy

Re: The sound of silver
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2014, 06:53 pm »
Oh, and the sound

Heaven...

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017, 08:44 pm by Redboy »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:52 pm »
Nice system and suhweet build for the AVC! Any idea on the cost per module? I think a standard module costs about $450 a piece and there are 4 in my balanced TAPX.

Best,
Anand.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:53 pm »
Nice system!

Feastrex drivers?  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:55 pm »
Nice system!

Feastrex drivers?  :thumb:

Yup.

Best,
Anand.

Redboy

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2014, 09:03 pm »
Nice system and suhweet build for the AVC! Any idea on the cost per module? I think a standard module costs about $450 a piece and there are 4 in my balanced TAPX.

Best,
Anand.

Given the volatile cost of silver, I think you'd want to contact John directly at time of purchase.   They're a bit hard on the wallet, though.

Yes, the speakers are Feastrex.  :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2014, 09:06 pm »

Best,
Anand.
$2500 upgrade for us IIRC.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm »
Given the volatile cost of silver, I think you'd want to contact John directly at time of purchase.   They're a bit hard on the wallet, though.

Yes, the speakers are Feastrex.  :)

Nice, good job on choosing a br cabinet... I remember years ago when they were building all these BLHs for them, they all kinda sucked. I do like Lotus Audio's Feastrex-based OB speaker, it was/is awesome, but $200k.

And congrats on owning the worlds' finest volume control :)

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2014, 11:44 pm »
$2500 upgrade for us IIRC.

:bowdown: :cry:

Best,
Anand.

Redboy

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:10 am »
Nice, good job on choosing a br cabinet... I remember years ago when they were building all these BLHs for them, they all kinda sucked. I do like Lotus Audio's Feastrex-based OB speaker, it was/is awesome, but $200k.

Thank you!

The Feastrex are really nice and I was fortunate to buy them at a very friendly secondhand price from the US dealer.  I am amazed at their overall coherence from top to bottom, though I don't demand much from them (mostly jazz and "simple" music played at low volume).
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2014, 01:04 pm by Redboy »

cab

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:42 am »

I'm guessing you haven't heard the Tortuga LDR based preamp.....

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm »

I'm guessing you haven't heard the Tortuga LDR based preamp.....
I'm guessing you haven't seen the measurements or heard the TAP-X. 

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:25 pm »
Damn cab     :guns:

Redboy

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:58 pm »
Oh, it's all good.  I haven't heard an LDR passive but I would like to, someday.  I nearly built one a few years back but I ultimately decided against it because they seemed so... fiddly.

Back to the Slagleformer thing, though... Eventually I'll put the preamp into an aluminum enclosure that I made the panels for, but I am still trying to decide on a finish.  The design goal was to hide as many fasteners as possible and when it's buttoned up, only four screw heads will be visible on the back panel.

It'll look a lot like this one that I built two years ago, but without the visible screw heads:

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017, 08:45 pm by Redboy »

J-Pak

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:46 pm »
Are the AVC 50 or 80% nickel?

Redboy

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:02 pm »
Are the AVC 50 or 80% nickel?
I missed your question earlier, sorry...

I believe these are 80% like Dave's other AVC cores. 

werd

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:09 am »
Nice touch! Did that silver winding touch come with silver wires into the modules and out to rca plugs?

cab

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:58 am »
I've owned the Placette unit which was really nice. Then I built a tvc unit with copper wound transformers from John Chapman at Bent Audio. It was better. Then I replaced the copper wound units with silver, which I suspect are similar to what the OP is reporting on. Even better. Then I heard the Tortuga LDR unit. Not even close. My preference of the LDR Tortuga over the Placette and TVC units has been shared by others who have tried all three so there may be something to it....And yes, I have seen the measurements and heard the product.

J-Pak

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:59 pm »
I've owned the Placette unit which was really nice. Then I built a tvc unit with copper wound transformers from John Chapman at Bent Audio. It was better. Then I replaced the copper wound units with silver, which I suspect are similar to what the OP is reporting on. Even better. Then I heard the Tortuga LDR unit. Not even close. My preference of the LDR Tortuga over the Placette and TVC units has been shared by others who have tried all three so there may be something to it....And yes, I have seen the measurements and heard the product.

IMO it's more what flavor you prefer. I had the Lightspeed LDR, Prometheus and Sowter TVCs and preferred the TVCs. Dynamics are most restricted in resistive based attenuators.