Best Omega Speaker for a small listening room

VagabondJ

Best Omega Speaker for a small listening room
« on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:26 pm »
Hi. I have small listening room (11 x 11) in which I am currently using a pair of Omega Grande 6 along with a Melody Onix Push/Pull amp, Eastern Electric Phono amp and VPI Scout.

Was interested in upgrading and was considering either the Super Alnico 6 XRS or the Super Alnico 8 (the XRS version of the 8 is out of my price range). Which of these speakers would other members (or Louis if he happens to read this) recommend for such a room? Am concerned that the bass in the Alnico 8 might overload the room.

I do have some Real Traps acoustic treatments in 3 of my 4 room corners (can't in the 4th corner as the door is there) as well as panels on the first reflection points on the side walls...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Best Omega Speaker for a small listening room
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:25 pm »
Hello VagabondJ,
In order to make a recommendation for a speaker upgrade, it would nice to know what you are looking for in the way of sound, i.e. more top end, more bottom end, etc, etc?  What is lacking, if anything, in the Grande 6 that you want improved? 

VagabondJ

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »
Fair enough and thanks for the response.

First and foremost I am looking for more bass impact where I've always found the Grande 6 to be a little lacking (though it has many other strengths). I also wouldn't mind a little more detail and a bigger soundstage but those are secondary desires.

Secondarily, I finally have some money and a dedicated room (age at least has some advantages). After 5+ years with the Grande 6s, I want to move up the Omega line but don't want to buy a speaker that will overload my room.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm »
have you considered adding a decent sub?  Perhaps an Omega sub.
there are others...I'd look for sealed. Next if you are able to High pass
you'd spare both your amp & the Grande 6 of having to deal with
the lower frequencies.  If this is not quite enough then move up the
Omega line.  Or maybe once you have a taste of good bass you will
want the newer driver speakers.

VagabondJ

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2012, 07:37 pm »
Well, again, thanks for the response. At this point, I am not inclined to take the sub route. To restate the basic question upon which I am soliciting feedback is will the Omega Super 8 Alnico monitor overload my 11 x 11 room, and am I better off with the Super 6 Alnico XRS?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2012, 07:52 pm »
Perhaps you should give Louis a ring. I called him once and he was very friendly and quite willing to talk about his products.

VagabondJ

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2012, 08:37 pm »
Thanks. I am planning on doing that but wanted to gather some third-party opinions before I did so...

Carl V

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm »
I have not heard these exact speakers/drivers
however, I have heard similarly sized single cone Fostex etc.,
& coax drivers Tannoy, WLM etc.) in a similarly sized room.

What you need to be listening to is the tonality & dispersion
of these drivers (Omega, Festrex, Fostex Lowther PHY) & imho
it's really in the power region of music that we make most of our
conclusions.  After this it's mostly a personal matter of taste, such
as what string your prefer or Bow material or reeds.

The 6" XRS should be all you need.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 12:45 am »
Hopefully you have room treatments or some sort of non-symetrical layout to try minimizing the echos that small/square rooms are notorious for, because asking for more bass in that situation is asking for trouble IMO.

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:58 pm »
Well, again, thanks for the response. At this point, I am not inclined to take the sub route. To restate the basic question upon which I am soliciting feedback is will the Omega Super 8 Alnico monitor overload my 11 x 11 room, and am I better off with the Super 6 Alnico XRS?

Well I have a precursor of the Omega Super 8's in my 13.5' x 15.5' x 7' listening room and it is not overloaded.  I'm also not left wanting for the bottom few octaves either, because I don't regularly listen to bass rich music.  This speaker handles a stand up double bass with aplomb IMHO.  Organ music, well not so great, but the Super 8 is not a true full range speaker.

NB

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:24 pm »
VagabondJ, I think you are possibly looking in the wrong direction for sound improvement.  Your amp is what I suspect is the problem, and (if set up properly) you have a good source.  Your Grandes should have everything you need, especially in your small listening room.

Case in point #1: I ran a Canadian made Ideal Innovations Elite 80 20 watt per channel 6AV5 PP tube amp with Omega 4-1/2" 93db Super 5 Monitors on 24" stands and the other listener kept asking "is the sub on?"  It wasn't.  This combo has incredible speed, super clear top end, and lovely bass, not to mention a large and focused soundstage.  Next step up from this is the Super 5 XRS tower - just a killer speaker with same sound but more bass. 
I believe your amp is 38 watts per channel, and it should make your Grandes just sing.  However, rated power is not everything, its the quality of that power, and how well it is matched to your speakers that is everything.  You may have a great amp but it may not be a good match for your speakers.  Try some different amps if you can.

Case in point #2: Another combo that absolutely pulls me into the music is the 2 watt per channel Decware SE84 Select SET with V-Caps and stepped attenuator running the 97db Hoyt Bedford Type 1 speakers on 18" Lovan Jazz stands.  This system has the biggest, most etherial sound stage I have ever heard, and a sub is not necessary.  I have never in my long audio history heard such effortless sound.  The system just gets completely out of the way.

Lastly, what kind of music do you favour?

frank111

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2012, 09:58 pm »
 to VagabondJ and Canada Rob: I have a pair of the HoytBedford type 1's with a McIntosh 2505 amplifier, the result is  audio heaven (the room is 14 1/2 by 15 1/2).

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm »
I also have a pair of H-B Type 1s (thanks to tabrink  :thumb: ) in a 12x14 room being driven by a Grommes PHI 26 ~ 1.8w EL84 set amp.  :o

Lin