Amplifier epiphany!

KLH007

Re: Amplifier epiphany!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:48 pm »
They have three base models of the integrated amp and three SE models. Their entry level integrated amp 150w/ch msrp is $68,000 NTD = New Taiwan Dollars (divide by 32 to get approximate USD cost). They will sell it for less than the MSRP, but I do not know how much less.

Integrated amps:
DA150      $68k NTD
DA150S    $88k
DA200      $108k
DA200S    $128k
DA250      $168k
DA250S    $198k

Separate amps:
DP150           $78k
DP150-S       $108k
DP200           $148k
DP200-S       $198k
DP250           $268k
DP250-S       $398k  This model has two power supplies (or does that mean dual mono?).

Oh, there's always a tremendous amount of two-legged scantily clad eye candy at shows like this. I suppose I could force myself to take a few photos if I get tired of audio equipment.  :icon_twisted:

Michael, It would be very interesting to compare your AVA 400R to a similar power Descartes. I wonder if he will have some recommendations about the Fritz's crossover?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2016, 04:31 pm »
Hi, KLH.

Unfortunately, my 400R (along with nearly all my gear) is in storage in Oregon. I'm debating really hard about whether I want to bring the 400R to Taiwan this Fall when we return, or upgrade my Nuprime IDA-8 (to either the IDA-16 or ST-10 + a new DAC). The IDA-8 is adequate (though it doesn't allow the Fritz speakers to shine), but I also know it doesn't compare to the AVA. Rooms here are small compared to what I'm used to in the States, so being able to use an integrated with DAC (or an amp paired to a DAC with volume control) is a real plus. The 400R is heavy to lug over here and my media cabinet has glass shelves. [And so it goes, over and over in my head...choose option A or option B?]

I just reread this thread and realized that I have not taken my speakers to the Yoson shop yet. All kinds of other activities have taken priority since I first began this thread. I've attended two audio shows and visited a bunch of audio shops in three large cities. Soon....I'm sure he'll try to interest me in reworking the original crossover. He estimated it would cost approximately $600 and take two weeks. That's pretty close to what SkiingNinja used to charge for XO upgrades, I think.

KLH007

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2016, 10:23 pm »
Michael, There is a 3rd party upgrade of the ST-10 that is amazing. See Mark Sossa of Well Pleased A/V for details. Bob Smith, the factory approved modifier, just got a DAC-10, maybe a mod for that as well? The IDA-16 has a cooler signature than the IDA-8 and ST-10, but is very powerful and a great 1 box solution as it includes a DAC. A stack of the ST & DAC-10s is as small as many integrateds.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:36 am »
Oh, yeah. I'm way ahead of you.  :wink:

I've already email chatted with John Casler (probably to the point where he fears opening his email and seeing yet another email from me!) about upgrade options; exchanged emails with Bob about pricing for his upgrades, and have researched the hell out of the DAC-10, IDA-16 and ST-10 (minus actually listening to any). Additionally, I have considered other local (to Taiwan) options for amps, Preamps, and DACs (or combo models). Probably the best bang for my buck for new equipment is a Nuprime amp. As for a stand alone DAC - the DAC-10 is very attractive, but there are two other DACs that are equally(?) attractive - Schiit Gungir Multibit DAC ($1249) and Gustard X20 DAC ($800). I just recently learned about the Gustard X20 in another thread here. There is a 24 page thread over at Head-fi.org discussion on it that I have read with excitement. http://www.head-fi.org/t/780385/gustard-x20-dac

To think that I could get a dual chip DAC for just $800 vs. $1249 for the Schiit vs. $1495 for the DAC-10 (single chip). Well, I could take the cost savings from the X20 and apply it to the TDSS upgrade for the ST-10 and come out almost even...Yeah, I get pretty excited by the possibilities.  :drool: :dance:

Mr Craig

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2018, 01:56 pm »
Hi all. I just logged in to echo what was said previously re these descartes amps.

A short note: I live in Taiwan. I wanted an amp to replace the one that I had [powering ,my subwoofer. A Hafler 9500. A really good amp, but relegated to subwoofer duties. It died, so I had to find a replacement).

I looked online on yahoo auctions and ruten (another auction site here in Taiwan) and found a used Descarted for sale. I knew nothing about them, so googled.. and found this post.

On the strength of that, I bought one. For 5,000 ntd, around 170 USD.

I connected it up to my speakers and MP3 player, It sounded ok, but I didn't give it too much thought. Then I connected it up to my Audio Research Preamp, Oppo DVD player and then I had a serious listen. Then it came to life!

This amp is amazing! The detail, musicality, .. everything. The soundstage is wide, and it is revealing. Not as deep as my Atmasphere's but that is to be expected. But I had to keep listening to it.. it sounds that good.

I originally bought it to replace my hafler but it sounds so good in my system as a second amp. I actually bought another one for around 120 USD for my subwoofer, which is what I bought the original one for. It sounds equally good.

I really want to say that these amps are exceptional.  They are made to order, but relatively unknown so the value of used units is almost nil. that is why they are a bargain. I went to the shop and talked to the salesman who said that new they are around 100k (Taiwan dollars). So used at any price must be a bargain

These amps are amazing
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2018, 02:05 am by Mr Craig »