Netflix: What to watch?

WGH

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #460 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:54 pm »
All providers are doing some bandwidth limiting, my brother manages all the towers East of Denver around the Firestone area. He says nothing is crashing but traffic is getting close to 100% and they are using many traffic shaping tools.

I get the same message but when Netflix does connect it is solid. Since I am on the computer all day I think my provider starts limiting my bandwidth too but I have a totally unscientific method to connect.

My theory is Netflix likes a fresh start so I do three things:

First, I reboot the DSL router, unplug for 10 seconds then plug in, it will then reconnect to the internet, it takes a few minutes to connect.
Second, I restart the computer. Both the DSL router and computer are usually up and running at the same time.
Third, I start Netflix and it has always instantly connected with no notices.

I use the Netflix app on my computer so this may not work for everyone. I have a dumb TV, this is one way to get Netflix.
I have discovered that the Netflix computer app also enables Dolby Atmos sound even if you have a 1080p TV. Here is my tutorial:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167722.msg1779502#msg1779502

stlrman

« Reply #461 on: 10 Apr 2020, 07:03 pm »
Unorthodox:
“Based on the New York Times bestselling memoir of the same name by Deborah Feldman, Unorthodox is a story about a girl who rejects her radicalized upbringing and leaves to start a new life. One part coming of age story, and one part thriller, set in the fun world of Berlin, we watch as a girl discovers all parts of life, of herself and as she follows the dark trails to uncover the dangerous mysteries of her family's past.”

This is really well done !!!!! :thumb: :thumb: A four part series.
92% RT.
Very entertaining!!  Check it out!!

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 10:04 pm by stlrman »

smargo

« Reply #462 on: 10 Apr 2020, 08:00 pm »
Unorthodox:

This is really well done !!!!! :thumb: :thumb: A six part series.
92% RT.

its actually a 4 part "miniseries" - its very good and very disturbing to say the least - the girl who plays the main character "etsy" is phenomenal

tonypercus

« Reply #463 on: 10 Apr 2020, 11:08 pm »
Well, because this is the AudioCircle platform...
I'm pretty much a fan of CasaDePapel. Not only because it's a freakin good serie (though season 4 is getting meh TMHO), but because the narration is Wow. The voice of Tokyo narrating through all seasons is just like ASMR haha. Best narrator ever.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #464 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:37 am »
Early this week I watched Netflix for the first time.  I stumbled on The Last Czar and found it tremendously powerful, painful watching it develop, extremely well acted and photographed.  I'm also a devotee of 20th Century European history and have traveled to Leningrad/Petrograd and Moscow twice, some 37 years apart.  Pure genius of a program.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #465 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:41 am »
Miles Davis Birth of the Cool was very good.  And I'm not even a big Miles fan.  But I found the documentary very interesting and well done. 

Randy

« Reply #466 on: 11 Apr 2020, 10:40 pm »
Unorthodox:
“Based on the New York Times bestselling memoir of the same name by Deborah Feldman, Unorthodox is a story about a girl who rejects her radicalized upbringing and leaves to start a new life. One part coming of age story, and one part thriller, set in the fun world of Berlin, we watch as a girl discovers all parts of life, of herself and as she follows the dark trails to uncover the dangerous mysteries of her family's past.”

This is really well done !!!!! :thumb: :thumb: A four part series.
92% RT.
Thanks for the tip. Watched it last night, all four episodes in a row. Excellent and very moving program. When Esty made her attempt to sing Schubert's "An Die Musik," I was nearly in tears.  What was left unsaid:  Did she get the scholarship or not?

smargo

« Reply #467 on: 12 Apr 2020, 03:27 am »
the 2nd song she sang - and i dont know the title - sounds like an ancient jewish folksong - imo was better than "an die Musik"

she sang the song with so much feeling and articulation - you could hear a pin drop - the people who heard her - i think were stunned so much - that if scholarships werent meant for a performance like that

then i dont know what is ?

stlrman

« Reply #468 on: 16 Apr 2020, 06:31 pm »
That was a beautiful song  and rendition!! I was pretty much in tears . Don’t miss Unorthodox!!! :thumb: :thumb:

I heard One of Us is great , and two seasons of Shtisel is very good as well!!
These are both Jewish Orthodox movie and series . 2020 seems to be the year of Orthodox Jews on Netflix. Both of these have come highly recommended to me . Enjoy !!

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2020, 07:54 pm by stlrman »

jhm731

« Reply #469 on: 16 Apr 2020, 07:31 pm »

twodolphins

« Reply #470 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:42 am »
I was longtime Neflix user but now i prefer Amazon Prime. Movie and TV shows are simply better.

BobM

« Reply #471 on: 24 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm »
We just started the new Netflix series The Outer Bank. So far it's got our attention. About a bunch of local townies finding some long lost gold from a shipwreck on the North Carolina outer banks while dealing with the local rich kids and many bad guys looking for the same thing. The setting is wonderful to look at, especially in lock down.

sunnydaze

« Reply #472 on: 24 Apr 2020, 12:43 pm »
I was longtime Neflix user but now i prefer Amazon Prime. Movie and TV shows are simply better.

Agreed, I have both.  Takes me forever to find a decent movie to watch on Netflix.  Way too much straight to video junk.  But Amazon is not hugely better in that regard.

I do like that Amazon gives the IMDB rating in the description.  Saves the xtra step of researching it myself.  While I don't always agree with it, for my tastes and in general I find that a rating over 6.0 means the movie will be at least decent and not a complete waste of time.

nature boy

« Reply #473 on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:38 pm »
The Road To Perdition.

NB

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #474 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:32 pm »

Check out the Criterion Channel, the home of a ton of classic, high quality movies:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #475 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:04 pm »
the 2nd song she sang - and i dont know the title - sounds like an ancient jewish folksong - imo was better than "an die Musik"

she sang the song with so much feeling and articulation - you could hear a pin drop - the people who heard her - i think were stunned so much - that if scholarships werent meant for a performance like that

then i dont know what is ?

It was a MOVIE Oy ! I agree with the emotion, wonderful. We really enjoyed the series.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #476 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:05 pm »
We just started the new Netflix series The Outer Bank. So far it's got our attention. About a bunch of local townies finding some long lost gold from a shipwreck on the North Carolina outer banks while dealing with the local rich kids and many bad guys looking for the same thing. The setting is wonderful to look at, especially in lock down.

Will give it a watch, thanks.

charles

rodge827

« Reply #477 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:53 pm »
Finished up Outer Banks last night and hope season 2 is just as good. It gets a little wonky in spots but a good watch over all. Reminded me of my misspent youth tooling through the marshes and ocean around LBI. Working locals vs the....

sunnydaze

« Reply #478 on: 27 Apr 2020, 11:44 am »
Surprised "You" hasn't been mentioned yet.

Not my normal cuppa, but this one keeps me watching.  2 seasons in the can and renewed for a 3rd.  Check it out.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/you/s01

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/you/s02

tetablanco

« Reply #479 on: 27 Apr 2020, 05:48 pm »
Try "Medal of Honor".  Each episode tells the story of CMOH awardees from World War I until Afghanistan.  My favorites include the soldier who singlehandedly defended a hill position from hundreds of attackers by manning several machine gun nests and pretending as if the defenders were a much larger force (he was alone). :)