Netflix: What to watch?

bdub149

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #440 on: 3 Dec 2019, 03:07 am »
Definitely agree BB and Mindhunter are excellent shows!!! Actually have watched mindhunter a few times  :o

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #441 on: 4 Dec 2019, 04:52 pm »
Shameless.  The show.  9 seasons on Netflix (so far).  Intense, and very well done.

WGH

« Reply #442 on: 8 Feb 2020, 04:48 am »
Blade Runner: The Final Cut

The definitive 117 minute version released in 2007, this version was restored and edited by Ridley Scott with excellent 5.1 sound. This is the only version over which Ridley Scott had complete artistic control and includes scenes cut from the 1982 US theatrical release.

stlrman

« Reply #443 on: 9 Feb 2020, 01:08 am »
Dark is a very cool show !!!

“When two children go missing in a small German town, its sinful past is exposed along with the double lives and fractured relationships that exist among four families as they search for the kids. The mystery-drama series introduces an intricate puzzle filled with twists that includes a web of curious characters, all of whom have a connection to the town's troubled history -- whether they know it or not. The story includes supernatural elements that tie back to the same town in 1986. "Dark" represents the first German original series produced for Netflix.”

Bemopti123

« Reply #444 on: 9 Feb 2020, 01:40 am »
"Diablero" Season 1 and 2.  This one seems to follow the same lines as Supernatural, but it has a freshness that comes perhaps from Mexican lore.  In general, it is quite entertaining. 

I also watched "The Witcher" never played the games but somehow I wind up watching the entire season within 5 days....meaning, that it had me captive for long.

These days, unless something has a special quality, be it storyline or acting, it is hard for me to stay put. 

WGH

« Reply #445 on: 9 Feb 2020, 06:38 pm »
Dark was great although none of my friends could concentrate long enough to follow the plot, the series is smart TV at it's finest.

I spent months not watching any show in the English language, love the diversity and the easy access to art worldwide.

Money Heist is a Spanish series about a meticulously prepared takeover of the Royal Mint of Spain in Madrid, in which a group of robbers take hostages as part of their plan to print and escape with €2.4 billion.

Trapped is an Icelandic thriller and murder mystery set in a snowbound, tiny fishing town. The story has multiple plots or it could be one convoluted plot that keeps every guessing.

Russian Doll is about a woman reliving the same disastrous night, you will die laughing https://youtu.be/YHcKoAMGGvY

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #446 on: 10 Feb 2020, 06:01 pm »
Two really great series:

Occupied -"From a storyline conceived by bestselling author Jo Nesbø, `Occupied' focuses on political and environmental issues affecting Scandinavia. The ten-part Nordic drama is based in the near future, when environmental concerns prompt the Norwegian government to stop all oil and gas production in the North Sea. With limited resources available elsewhere, these actions result in a world crisis. Stepping in on behalf of the EU, Russia invades the country with the sole aim to complete a "silk-glove" operation, which involves taking control of the oil supplies. However, as the mission gets underway, further political conflicts take over the nation."

Honor/Shame - https://www.thedailybeast.com/girihaji-inside-netflixs-stunning-new-ultraviolent-yakuza-series

An old favorite which may still be there is "The Getdown"

WC

« Reply #447 on: 10 Feb 2020, 07:19 pm »
Russian Doll, The Witcher, and Money Heist were all pretty good.

Currently watching Outlander.

WGH

« Reply #448 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:02 pm »
Kingdom on Netflix is a South Korean action zombie series set in 1560, a few years after the Japanese invasions of Korea. Great story, excellent period costumes, voracious zombies. The recently released Season 2 may be better than the first season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-yByZpaaM

Bong Joon Ho, the director of Parasite, the 2020 Academy Awards Best Picture may be a new name to many, but he has directed 6 other films that should be seen.

Snowpiercer (2013) and Okja (2017) are both available on Netflix. His previous films will be harder to find but well worth the search:

Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000) is a dark comedy
Memories of Murder (2003) a murder mystery
The Host (2006) is a very funny monster movie
Mother (2009) is a suspenseful murder mystery

I started watching Bong Joon Ho films 10 years ago, at that time the only way to watch them was to find the movies on South Korean movie buff web sites, a little bit of a challenge since I don't read or speak Korean.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2020, 06:17 pm by WGH »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #449 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:21 pm »
WGH,
You sir, have excellent taste :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #450 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:48 pm »
WGH,
You sir, have excellent taste :thumb:

I also find the "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" strangely entertaining.

WGH

« Reply #451 on: 28 Feb 2020, 10:55 pm »
Altered Carbon is back after 2 years and it looks great and sounds terrific with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack! It is now 2412, 30 years after season 1 ended and Takeshi Kovacs has been re-sleeved many times, this season actor Anthony Mackie (3 Avengers, 2 Captain America, Antman, Black Mirror) takes the lead role. I read this is one of Nexflix's more expensive shows to produce and it shows. Great sets, plenty of action along with nasty mean, ugly characters. Season 2 is now written and directed almost exclusively by women or by men of color so the story is better balanced and characters have more depth. And no, Altered Carbon hasn't turned into a futuristic "Little Women", it still has a hard "R" rating.

Viewers new to the series should watch Season 1 or prepared to be totally confused by all the terminology. Luckily TV Guide has a list of all the future speak:
https://www.tvguide.com/news/altered-carbon-dictionary-terms-definitions/

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #452 on: 28 Feb 2020, 11:10 pm »
I just finished watching The Spy. Such a huge change for Sacha Baron Cohen. Excellent performance and the mini series really had me hooked.

rodge827

« Reply #453 on: 1 Mar 2020, 06:26 pm »
We found The Pharmacist to be engaging and informative.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #454 on: 1 Mar 2020, 06:36 pm »
I don’t have Netflix or much time for movies, but when JoJo Rabbit becomes available I will sign up for a trial.

stlrman

« Reply #455 on: 5 Apr 2020, 03:33 am »
Anybody else watch The Tiger King???!!!
It’s pretty darn fun!! And a national phenomenon!!!!

WGH

« Reply #456 on: 5 Apr 2020, 05:04 am »
Anybody else watch The Tiger King???!!!
It’s pretty darn fun!! And a national phenomenon!!!!

I used to live in Julesburg, Colorado when a Union Pacific train derailed in the center of town, all the box cars were scattered and stacked against one another.
The Tiger King is like watching a train wreck.
Big fun.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #457 on: 5 Apr 2020, 08:22 am »
Kinda on a British humor theme right now...

Peep show

Sex education

Crashing (The even better "Fleabag" is on Prime)

After life

And of course:
All the Studio Ghibli-movies (Princess Mononoke, Totoro etc.)

sunnydaze

« Reply #458 on: 5 Apr 2020, 01:27 pm »
"Ozark" Season 3 was just added last week.  Probably best season yet.

"The Sinner" is a USA Network show, but Seasons 1 and 2 now available on Netflix.  Season 3 is on USA.  It's a slow-burn psychological crime drama / mystery that's well done.

MttBsh

« Reply #459 on: 5 Apr 2020, 03:05 pm »
Am I the only one that can't get on to Netflix? every time I try to sign in I get a message saying it can't connect, try later. Way too many people on? Is there a trick to connecting? Maybe try at 3:00 AM?