Room Treatments for the Monetary challenged

skchow

« on: 22 Feb 2004, 12:34 am »
Well folks, I'm finally done tweaking my audio system (with the recent purchase of the Purist), and am now starting to look into room treatment tweaks.  Can anyone suggest some relatively inexpensive tweaks using materials that aren't really considered "audiophile" (hence inexpensive)?  For example, rugs to dampen hard/reflective floors, cork boards on the walls to absorb some of the reflections, etc....

Sunny.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2004, 12:37 am »
Jon Risch's quick and dirty basstraps might be an idea? Never actually got around to trying it myself. I'm sure you can find the link in Google or AA :) but IIRC it basically consists of dumping a couple rolls of fiberglass insulation in the corner.

John Casler

Re: Room Treatments for the Monetary challenged
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2004, 02:24 am »
Quote from: skchow
Well folks, I'm finally done tweaking my audio system (with the recent purchase of the Purist), and am now starting to look into room treatment tweaks.  Can anyone suggest some relatively inexpensive tweaks using materials that aren't really considered "audiophile" (hence inexpensive)?  For example, rugs to dampen hard/reflective floors, cork boards on the walls to absorb some of the reflections, etc....

Sunny.

Hi Sunny,

I like the Acoustic Foam Panels, and they can be made to do some multi-duty, multi-tasking in the listening room.

If you're a little creative they can even look good.

Check out

http://www.foambymail.com and make sure you get at least the 3" sizes.

Also, since you live close, you're welcome to drop by and hear (see) what methods I have used for reflections, and bass management.

skchow

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2004, 05:25 pm »
JohnR:
The bass traps looks neat, but I think my problem might not be that..  I actually don't get much of boominess in bass, my speakers don't go all that low.  What I'm worried about is that the walls all seem to vibrate with the music when I have it turned up moderately loud, and that can't possibly be good for the sound.

JohnC:
One of these days, I'm afraid I'll have to take you up on that offer, but for now, not feeling the need to upgrade is pretty nice. :)  Oh, and that towel tweak you suggested last time worked wonders for the soundstaging.  It also hid the clutter away from my desk. ;)

Anyone:
With acoustic treatments, I've gathered you want a mix of dispersion and absorption.  Can anyone give some general guidelines or point me to some resources to find out when you want dispersion and when you wnt absorption?

Sunny.

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2004, 05:37 pm »
I've been stabbing at cheap acoustic products lately and do not have a good methodology guideline.  I'm hoping Bruno will chime in with recommnedations on a good book or other recommendations...

I've used his advice and others and come up with a happy medium.  I have some 8th Nerve 'corner' products that I bought but, also,
First: (materials cost under $100)
I made molding that goes up the corners of each wall from floor to ceiling.  I attached fiberglass insulation to the back and then bolted into the corners.
Second: (materials cost under $100)
I made tiles and hung them on the walls. *huge improvement in lowering reflections*  I used 1 4'x8' piece of particle board, 4 stiff fiberglass ceiling tiles, some nice fabric, and a staple gun.  I have 4 panels that helped kill primary reflections and deaden the room a bit.  It was too lively.
Third: (materials cost $125)
3-panel room divider.  I bought a cheap oriental room divider with little wooden squares and rice paper and filled the panels with Volara foam and then put fabric over the foam.  Serious improvement in imaging.... It made a reflection barrier in an opening in my room.
Fourth: (can't remember cost but, probably $200)
Rug from Lowes.. I got one of those really shaggy type rugs... lots of surface area for diffusion.  It has no pad, though.... I didn't want to over-absorb.  

I think it sounds extremely good considering the room is only 11x12, is hardwood, and has a large opening to other large reflective spaces.

Good luck,
Carl

BrunoB

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2004, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I've been stabbing at cheap acoustic products lately and do not have a good methodology guideline.  I'm hoping Bruno will chime in with recommnedations on a good book or other recommendations...

The basics of room acoustics are nicely described here:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/speakers_roomacoustics.html

For more details:

The Master Handbook of Acoustics, by F. Alton Everest.

Bruno

skchow

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:15 am »
Thanks for the link Bruno!  That site provides exactly what I'm looking for.

Sunny,

skchow

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2004, 09:48 pm »
Here's another link that might be useful...

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/education/studio_acoustics.asp

Sunny.