Looking for stand mounted speakers

Thom_P

Looking for stand mounted speakers
« on: 6 Jan 2022, 10:56 am »
I am currently using Accend Acoustic Sierra 1’s. I would like to upgrade and would like to improve.  I initially loved the Sierra 1’s but am recently feeling that they do not project well. The sweet spot is very narrow. I would like to find a speaker with a wider sound dispersion and better separation of instruments. What do you guys use?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Looking for stand mounted speakers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2022, 04:55 pm »
What is your budget, room size, amplifier and, what type of music do you listen to.?

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:04 pm »
I used to have Totem Acoustic Model 1, very nice speaker. If you want to push the boat out try TAD Micro Evolution One. Both of these speakers are very demanding of electronics upstream from them.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:16 pm »
In addition to what's already been mentioned, your issue could just as easily be related to source, source components or amplification. Your current speakers may just be telling you as much. As already noted, accurate advice can't be given without knowing current components, room size, type of music you listen to and at what volume.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:51 pm »
You may want to try my Dynaudio special 40’s.
Regards,

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2022, 06:06 pm »
Also need to know if the speakers will be near a wall or pulled out.  If close to a wall, then rear ported speakers are not a good choice.

Thom_P

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2022, 07:32 pm »
I am using a NAD C352 integrated amp.  The Accend Acoustics Sierra 1's are about 20 inches from the wall.  The room size is 18 x 30.  Speakers are about 9 feet apart on the 18' wall.  Music is jazz, modern pop, vocal, classical, country, blues and rock.  I play from a Auris Blume Pro streamer and a Rega P2 turntable.  Thanks for the questions and the help!

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2022, 09:00 pm »
Sounds like you need to experiment with your setup. Try moving them further away from the walls, moving them close together 9 feet sound like too much gap. Are they on stands, is there anything between the speakers? Get good stands if you don’t already have 1, have nothing between the speakers if you have anything between them. Experiment with toe-in, firing straight down. Experiment with setup first, I don’t think better newer speakers is the answer. In fact, newer better speakers is more likely to show up the rest of your system.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2022, 09:08 pm »
Hello.

Your Sierra-1 speakers with 5.25" woofers are,in my opinion, struggling to fill your listening space (18' x 30'). The Sierra-1 speakers would be better placed in a bedroom-sized or home office space than where they are now.

Can you give us an  idea of your budget; the maximum size standmount speakers you hope to find, and whether there are WAF (Wife acceptance factor) issues involved? Have you considered adding subwoofers to the mix?

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2022, 12:05 am »
I am currently using Accend Acoustic Sierra 1’s. I would like to upgrade and would like to improve.  I initially loved the Sierra 1’s but am recently feeling that they do not project well. The sweet spot is very narrow. I would like to find a speaker with a wider sound dispersion and better separation of instruments. What do you guys use?
Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the Enclosure Circle, so I will move it there for you now.

rotarius

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2022, 02:38 am »
You probably have these tiny things too far apart in a big room.  At the very least go for something like a wharfedale Linton or bigger standmounts.  Budget?

Thom_P

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2022, 03:40 am »
Budget is about $2000. Open to new or used. They are on speaker stands. I think maximum height is 24 to 30 inches

Thom_P

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2022, 03:47 am »
You may want to try my Dynaudio special 40’s.
Regards,
That may be a good idea. Are you willing to ship?

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2022, 03:48 am »
The Wharfedale Linton 85th will fill that room as I've used a pair in a room of about the same volume. $1799 new from Music Direct includes their own custom stands and a 60 day money back guarantee. Your current stands will be too tall and not likely stable with their weight anyway. The Linton stands are extremely well built and heavy.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Wharfedale-Linton-85th-Anniversary-Bookshelf-Speakers-with-Stands

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:27 am »
I would look for a bigger bookshelf with that size room. Those Dynaudio 40's would be a great speaker.  The Monitor Audio Silver 7G 100's have an 8" woofer and would do well in a larger room.  B&W 706's are worth a look if you like the B&W sound.  There are some nice Harbeth's for sale on Audigon.  Are your running a sub or two?

Thom_P

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2022, 05:38 am »
Actually, I am really interested in the speakers you have. I read your add. Are you sure you want to sell them? I respect what you are saying. That’s a hard call to make.  I imagine they bring you joy. That’s may be worth hanging on to. But if you think you made a decision I would be grateful to help.