New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

Danny Richie

Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #180 on: 28 Jun 2018, 01:42 pm »
If you never tried the Neo8-S, I'd urge you to try them out.  In my opinion, they sound as good in my sealed, three way studio monitors as the Neo10s in my main system open baffles.  They play an octave lower AND cleaner than  the original  Neo8.

Greg

It's a good driver. It just doesn't play quite low enough to catch all of the mid-range. The heart of the mid-range is 300 to 500Hz, so I like to cross at least 100Hz below that so as not to split the vocal region into dissimilar drivers are cause a phase shift in that area. The Neo 10 will just make it. 

simon wagstaff

« Reply #181 on: 1 Jul 2018, 10:06 pm »
Looking forward to hearing more.

jjnvdm

« Reply #182 on: 7 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm »
PM me or give me a call. Maybe we can make something happen with these.

Did anything come out of this? Is bamboo a viable material for the baffle?

Captainhemo

« Reply #183 on: 7 Jul 2018, 10:50 pm »
Did anything come out of this? Is bamboo a viable material for the baffle?

I'm actually  working on this... got side tracked  but had  another person ask  again  yesterday and  got my interest  going  again.  Not looking at  bamboo ,  something  else
I have a  good model  / dxf done up  now,  just  waiting on  a few things.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #184 on: 10 Jul 2018, 10:33 pm »

Considering getting  a prototype done  if there is  interest

jay

MHL

« Reply #185 on: 10 Jul 2018, 10:50 pm »
What is the lower frequency limit of the panels?  Wondering what the approx. frequency would be crossing over to the servo woofer stack.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #186 on: 10 Jul 2018, 11:39 pm »

Considering getting  a prototype done  if there is  interest

jay

I’m interested, might have to sell an organ or two (or some of my audio gear) to afford the drivers but ...

Danny Richie

« Reply #187 on: 10 Jul 2018, 11:45 pm »
What is the lower frequency limit of the panels?  Wondering what the approx. frequency would be crossing over to the servo woofer stack.

They crossed to the servo subs in the 180Hz range.

MHL

« Reply #188 on: 11 Jul 2018, 01:44 am »
Thanks Danny.

Captainhemo

« Reply #189 on: 11 Jul 2018, 04:55 am »
I’m interested, might have to sell an organ or two (or some of my audio gear) to afford the drivers but ...

I hear you   ! 

Syrah

« Reply #190 on: 11 Jul 2018, 07:54 pm »
I'm coming late to this party, but it is a good one!

In terms of materials, I've made DIY Symposium shelves before which are CLD.  Any logic in making these out of an aluminum/HDF (ie harboard)/aluminum sandwich?  It might make it cheaper than straight aluminum and would it not make for a less reasonant frame?  I appreciate it would be 3 times the CNC work, but I thought programming the CNC machine was the really big cost?

gab

« Reply #191 on: 28 Jul 2018, 06:03 pm »
Another update...

Jay sent me these baffles.

Then I modified the tweeter wave guide.

And I played with the short side wing a bit.

The response looks excellent.

Here are the measured responses with a second order slope.

And for the first time I was able to use a first order slope with these drivers. I have never been able to do that before.

So lots of promise on this one.

Danny / Jay - when will this kit be available and do you have pricing for it (including the baffle) figured out yet? Will it be called the Super-4? Thanks

gab
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2018, 06:36 pm by gab »

kramertc

« Reply #192 on: 29 Jul 2018, 04:35 pm »
Danny,
Are these a drop in replacement for the N2X kit?

Captainhemo

« Reply #193 on: 30 Jul 2018, 01:06 am »
Danny / Jay - when will this kit be available and do you have pricing for it (including the baffle) figured out yet? Will it be called the Super-4? Thanks

gab

Gab
They shouldnt be too much  longer,  the desing is finalized,  I'm  just  waiting on   the first   smallish run to be cut....
Will determine flat pack costs after  the  run is cut.......
Looks  like  we're getting  some  wedgies done  at the  same time so that  will be good  news for those  guys  that  have been waiting  patiently 

jay

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #194 on: 30 Jul 2018, 03:04 pm »
Danny,
Are these a drop in replacement for the N2X kit?

If the Yarn is added to the outside rows, and if a rear cup is added then these are a drop in replacement for the tweeters used in the N2X kit.

WC

« Reply #195 on: 7 Aug 2018, 10:09 pm »
Danny,

Just curious why this one you are working on with HAL only has a single Neo 10 with the Neo3 tweeter. The Super 7 uses 4 Neo10s per speaker. Could 2 Neo10s in a MTM laid horizontally like the Super7 with a Neo3  work? That would drop the height of the Neo3 some to put 37 or 38 inches off the ground. Have you looked at this configuration before?

Captainhemo

« Reply #196 on: 7 Aug 2018, 10:27 pm »
If you  are going to stand  mount, then you  can have the tweeter  at any height you want  pretty much.... that being said, the Neo3 in a  wave guide works  exceptionally well at  42+/-.... it raises the sound stage to a much more relelistic level.
Keeping the baffle narrow helps imaging and having the  single  Neo10 allows it  to also be in a  wave guide.   It's so flat in  that  guide  :beer"

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #197 on: 7 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm »
Danny,

Just curious why this one you are working on with HAL only has a single Neo 10 with the Neo3 tweeter. The Super 7 uses 4 Neo10s per speaker. Could 2 Neo10s in a MTM laid horizontally like the Super7 with a Neo3  work? That would drop the height of the Neo3 some to put 37 or 38 inches off the ground. Have you looked at this configuration before?

If you use two Neo 10's on their side then you either have to run them in parallel or in series. So you'd have a DCR of 3.5 ohms or 14 ohms. So it wouldn't match well with the tweeter. Also it means a wide baffle size like the Super-7. The advantage of the single Neo 10 is the 7 ohm impedance and narrow baffle. That really sets them apart in regards to imaging and sound stage.

We are also working on a base for that model to sit on that is three of the M-165/16's all in parallel. That should match well in output and impedance plus be just the right height.

WC

« Reply #198 on: 8 Aug 2018, 05:43 pm »
So how does the imaging suffer with the Neo10 and Neo3 on a narrow baffle sitting on top of a dual H-frame of approximately 15” wide?

Danny Richie

« Reply #199 on: 8 Aug 2018, 06:11 pm »
So how does the imaging suffer with the Neo10 and Neo3 on a narrow baffle sitting on top of a dual H-frame of approximately 15” wide?

No the imaging is better with the near zero surface reflections of the narrow baffle.