How Sweet It Is - Panorama

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2004, 12:53 am »
Mikeyb

Other than the top (which is close) there is a very big difference IMO. Only an audition will tell the tale.
Too bad you can't keep the Sapps. It's nice having a rear speaker that can go the distance in full range when you play 5 channel music.

Did I not see 2 pairs of Panos in the Specials this week?

E

Mikeyb

« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:59 am »
E,

I would love to keep the Sapphires, but I don't have a place to put them in the rear, and more importantly, I would need to sell them to help offset the price of the Panoramas.

The Panoramas on the Specials page are not in Cherry......and that's what I need.

thedeskE

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2004, 06:45 am »
As I reach the last few days of my new acoustic build, and my Sapphire only set up, I'd like to send out another round of respect to ACI.

I've been through a number of DVDs and lots of HD via Voom, and I've yet to complain about any audio I might be missing (even if, in truth, I am in DD/PL2/Etc) One example is the new Riddick DVD. I made the typical excuse of late - `Can't wait to hear this in the new room with the full set ' and of course, the opening of the film starts, with the Sapphires launching us into the movie. I forget about the fact that it's just 2 small speakers and get totally involved in the film. This has been a typical event over the last few weeks. One evening a visitor mentioned how the system still sounds great in the temporary room. When I tell him it's only 2 speakers, his jaw drops, and he begins to look around for my sub. The room was dark, I suppose.

It should be quite an event when I break out the Panos in the new treated space, but the Sapphires have been amazing in the small room.

E

Mikeyb

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2004, 07:16 pm »
As much as I like my Sapphires, I am SO tempted to give the Panoramas a tryout.  With the 10% offer combined with the gift certificate at 10% off as well, I'm REALLY tempted.

Question:  I currently have custom 23" stands, so the top of my Sapphires are up at about 40".  The Panoramas would be about 46".  Will this cause much of a problem?  The system is used mostly for movies, and when listening to music (CD's or DVD concerts), I am very often standing up (doing other things, or you know....the air guitar thing  :mrgreen:  )

So, for music the height difference would probably be good.  But for movies?  I have the center channel (Essence) sitting below a rear-projection TV (on a short stand with a small degree of tilt).

I NEED more incentive!

thugh

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2004, 08:46 pm »
Mike,

Love my Panos... if you check out the thread on custom stands you will get some of my impressions.  Basically it is recommended to position the Panos at mid driver height to ear versus tweeter at ear level.

thedeskE

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2004, 04:24 pm »
thugh

Over the year end, I'll be testing a taller position with my Panos. The new SP1000 player is adding a nice new silk to the top, so it's time to see how they do with the mid up a bit.

BTW - MC & HH to all!

E

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2005, 09:14 pm »
After having Audio Concepts "Panorama's" and the 'Maestro" subwoofer for about 3 months, the time has come for me to keep quiet no longer.

They far surpass "Breathtaking"!

After 30+ years of this wonderfull and most of the time costly audio hobby or should I say "way of life"  it is a fun road to be traveling. Striving for that personal way we all beleive it should sound, putting up with  people telling us to "turn it down" or "do we have to have the speakers there" you know what I mean. But we just keep doing it. It's get in your blood. From building speakers from scratch to ACI kit's in the early eighties to the Sapphire III's (which by the way are also a superb monitor) and some Velodyne's to the Panorama/Maestro set I own now.

I am not going to get into all the little and big details of the set up because all I really want to say is "This is the best speaker setup I have heard in my life so far" and the coolist thing is I am not demoing it at a store or sombody else's home. I own it. I never thought I would ever own a system of such caliber. Of course, having good stuff before the speaks helps and that will be the only thing I will be changing for a long, long time.

Hat's off to Mike and the crew at 'ACI" for excellent product's and company.

I know a lot of the companies here on Audiocircle's do business by word of mouth so if you are considering speaker's, give "ACI a try.

Sincerely,
Budyog

P.S. If anyone want's to know the detail's, let me know. I will be happy to share them.

thedeskE

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2005, 05:38 pm »
budyog

Share away! That's what we love here.

E

budyog

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2005, 08:34 pm »
Her are some of the details regarding the Panorama's and Maestro combination.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that latley after watching some certain live concert DVD's, Ive been caught standing up and aplauding the group along with everyone else on the dvd for an encore. I just did it Saturday night after Tower of Power performed. I never did that with the Sapphires.

All right, I will be a bit more serious.

The reason I wanted to change from the Sapphires is I wanted a BIGGER sound. Again, do not get me wrong. The Sapphires are a wonderful speaker. I guess I would say I wanted more like a floor standing full range speaker vs a satellite type speaker but still on a stand.  Then the Panoramas came out. It seemed like that would do the trick. So I ordered them and after I got those my Velodyne ULD-18 woofer was making noise, so I bought the Maestro from the B-stock on ACI's website.

Now that they are getting past the 100 hour, they are really starting to perform. I can't waite till next week when my AVA 350EXR-rev5+ amp comes home. I will post the responce then.

I am using 2 solid state mono amps made by a local guy many years ago and now out of business, but the amps still sound great.

These Panoramas did the trick as far as a bigger sound. I am crossing them over at 65hz, I also have the ports plugged and they seem to blend beautiful at this x-over point in my room. They are such a difining speaker system. Listening to Tower of Power, every horn was as clear and precise, bass and guitar, snappy and pure, drums clean, tight and thumpin, organ smooth and full and the lead vocal imaged as if he were 4 feet in front of me. Absolutly had me dancing and applauding. Forgetting I was listening to my 2 channel stereo.

The Maestro blows the pants off my old Velodyne and even the newer HGS-15X Velodyne that I tried for a short while. It goes very low and has punch to spare.

I will share more as time goes on.

thedeskE

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2005, 08:56 pm »
Man, TOP was one of my favs back in the day (original band) Garibaldi on drums - http://www.bumpcity.com/bandmembers/garibaldi.html
fun choice!

BTW - I didn't feel like my Pans were getting smooth until 300 plus hrs, but could hear where thay were headed at 150 or so. You're in for a treat as they break in further.
I still believe I need more power to hear them at their best, but they do quite well with the existing 125(pc) (or whatever I have in the Ol receiver)

E

budyog

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2005, 11:07 pm »
This DVD of TOP is with David Grabaldi on drums. Been a fan since the early 70s.They still groove.

My amps are putting out about 130 watts. The AVA 350 should be putting out close to 200. Won't be long. Next week. Then the Panorama's will really sing.

thugh

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2005, 07:09 pm »
When I got home from work yesterday I decompressed by throwing in some CDs that I have not heard a while...

Man... Cowboy Junkies through Logic7 Music to my Panoramas was amazing!  Really wish more recordings would be done this way with the Ambisonic Microphones...

Mike D,

I think you like the Trinity Sessions CD as well, you should see if you could borrow a Lexicon from the installer you work with.  You would swear that Margo Timmins is right in front of you in the Trinity Church.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2005, 11:58 pm »
Quote from: thugh
When I got home from work yesterday I decompressed by throwing in some CDs that I have not heard a while...

Man... Cowboy Junkies through Logic7 Music to my Panoramas was amazing!  Really wish more recordings would be done this way with the Ambisonic Microphones...

Mike D,

I think you like the Trinity Sessions CD as well, you should see if you could borrow a Lexicon from the installer you work with.  You would swear that Margo Timmins is right in front of you in the Trinity Church.

Tom:

This is what it is all about :) I do like Trinity Sessions, it is really quite amazing with a properly setup two-channel rig . . . close your eyes and its real. I can imagine how cool with the Lex Logic 7 and Panoramas all around . . .

eastberlin

Panoramas - metallic label at terminal
« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:34 pm »
I ran into an issue with my new panoramas today.  After moving them and re-hooking them up, the left one would send my amp into protection a higher volume levels.  I traced the problem to the ACI tag just behind the angled connectors.  If bare wires are inserted through the terminals and both extend far enough to touch the tag (barely 1/2 cm), a short is created.  I'm assuming there is some metallic content in that tag.  The problem was easily fixed by pulling the wires back a bit.  Thought you'd want to know.

Bill

Sfogg

« Reply #34 on: 14 Feb 2005, 01:30 am »
Mike,

"This is what it is all about  I do like Trinity Sessions, it is really quite amazing with a properly setup two-channel rig . . . close your eyes and its real. I can imagine how cool with the Lex Logic 7 and Panoramas all around . . ."

Wanna hear it for real? I have a DC-1 I'm going to use in a second system that I'm not using right now. I'll lend it to you if you want to give it a whirl.

If you think 'Trinity Sessions' sounds good now you are going to be floored at what it does in L7. ;)

Shawn

Mike Dzurko

Re: Panoramas - metallic label at terminal
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2005, 12:18 pm »
Quote from: eastberlin
I ran into an issue with my new panoramas today.  After moving them and re-hooking them up, the left one would send my amp into protection a higher volume levels.  I traced the problem to the ACI tag just behind the angled connectors.  If bare wires are inserted through the terminals and both extend far enough to touch the tag (barely 1/2 cm), a short is created.  I'm assuming there is some metallic content in that tag.  The problem was easily fixed by pulling the wires back a bit.  Thought you'd want to know.

Bill

Bill:

That is a new one. Glad you caught it and thanks for mentioning it. One more item to add to our tech reply checklist . . . have a great day!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2005, 12:24 pm »
Quote from: Sfogg
Mike,

"This is what it is all about  I do like Trinity Sessions, it is really quite amazing with a properly setup two-channel rig . . . close your eyes and its real. I can imagine how cool with the Lex Logic 7 and Panoramas all around . . ."

Wanna hear it for real? I have a DC-1 I'm going to use in a second system that I'm not using right now. I'll lend it to you if you want to give it a whirl.

If you think 'Trinity Sessions' sounds good now you are going to be floored at what it does in L7. ;)

Shawn

Shawn:

I have heard Logic 7 from a Lex system with our speakers, we've done a couple of local systems with MC12s. I haven't had the opportunity in my system. You make a generous offer. IF you still have the DC-1 unused this summer I'll take you up on it. Right now, I just have too many other irons in the fire and no time. Thanks Shawn!

thedeskE

« Reply #37 on: 13 Mar 2005, 08:47 pm »
Hey Guys - Your humble thread starter is back.
As some of you may know, my business required a boost eariler this year and all non critical possessions were `On The Block' to support the transition.

The Good News - The Panoramas are still here (Sapphires Too!) and awaiting a nifty new power source. I think a little devil kept the darn things from selling, and I didn't even see them for weeks. I managed to forget the trashed theater room where they're stored (surrounded by loose unplugged wire & an empty rack) but did make a point to cancel the listing when things relaxed a few weeks ago.

The Bad News - There is no bad news, I get the sweetness back. Yes!

Best To All

E

thugh

« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2005, 01:57 am »
E,

I'm glad that you were able to hold onto your speakers!

I know I would not give up mine easily either!  :D

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2005, 03:33 am »
E:

Glad you're back . .  .sounds like things are on the upswing for you . . .catch the rope and hold on :)