What subs with Magnipan's

stonedeaf

What subs with Magnipan's
« on: 13 Jun 2022, 03:05 am »
Ever since I sold my Tympani 1B s (45 years ago) and the buyer went out and bought a subwoofer within a month -I've been aware that a LOT of MG users mate them up with subs. Sold Magnipans for years and that reinforced the use with sub experience. Anybody got any idea? what percentage of Magnipan buyers go for a sub within a year or so ? And the obvious question keep using subs with Magnipans from there on out ? My friend who bought my Tympani's has upgraded over the years - but has stayed with subs with subsequent Maggie models over the decades.

mcgsxr

Re: What subs with Magnipan's
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2022, 03:17 pm »
I would imagine a lot of sub use comes from room size, musical preferences, and panel choice.

I initially ran MMG's but quickly moved to the 1.6QR's.   I found the MMG's light, but they did things the larger 1.6's could not too - there was a magical zone of musical presentation that the 1.6's never really could match, though the larger panels brought more bass and a rounder tone overall.

I could have lived with the 1.6's without a sub in a smaller room for most of my music.  But in my larger room (basement approx 24x20x7.5) and with some bass intensive music in the collection I did move to using a sub.

I'd recommend either a sealed or servo sub.  I used an old Yamaha servo sub, and it blended well for me.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2022, 04:00 pm »
Open baffle subs are the best match for planar speakers, the dispersion pattern is a much better match than any box sub:

https://gr-research.com/product/sub-series-double-trouble-with-flatpacks-copy/

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2022, 04:14 pm »
Open baffle subs are the best match for planar speakers, the dispersion pattern is a much better match than any box sub:
Uh, no.
Pressure sources are more appropriate for subwoofer duties, in most cases.
Dipoles are preferable for woofer duties.

What sort of program material is primarily used (ie, HT) might be a big factor in selection.

Dave.

stonedeaf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2022, 05:01 pm »
For me the challenge was always getting that blend between the speed and distortion-less (OK -ya-I get it -ya can overdrive a Magnipan woofer panel and get it to flap -but if you are so drunk that you don't turn down the music at that point -everyone would be happier if you didn't buy Magnipans :-). But what I always loved about Maggies was that absurdly clean deep bass -Ray Brown stood there in front of you with realism no other speaker could quit match. But i sold Maggies to folks who wanted that final stop on a Organ Symphony or Jaco Pastorius getting more out of a single bass string than seems possible - and those folks went for subwoofers in almost all cases.(Full disclosure: I have never heard the TOTL Magnipans of today -these might just do the trick without subs -but are out of reach in terms of economics  for a lot of folks -so with smaller maggies -subs seem like a answer to the bang for the buck need.)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2022, 05:27 pm »
Uh, no.
Pressure sources are more appropriate for subwoofer duties, in most cases.
Dipoles are preferable for woofer duties.

What sort of program material is primarily used (ie, HT) might be a big factor in selection.

Dave.

Agreed, for movies then a box sub is best.  In fact I've built out some pretty high performance box subs for HT use and they sound incredible (and will also shake the couch nicely when called for).  On the other hand, for music, it's no contest, the servo OB subs linked above are a much, much better match for OB speakers.  I only came to this conclusion after trying a lot of box based solution and those all failed.  OB bass for music is just a better match.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2022, 06:53 pm »
I run dual Martin Logan original Dynamo subs with my 1.6's.  They are small, sealed, fast, musical and integrate seamlessly.  Are there better, sure but they work for me and sound great.  I went the used route for them.  I could not see spending $3K for 2 subs when for a little more money I could sell my 1.6's and buy the 3.6's or 3.7's.

johnto

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm »
I think Magnepan is on the verge of releasing a sub so it might be worth the wait. If you really want  a sub now check Craig's list for a cheap one for the time being.

stonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm »
It's not much of a problem to find a sub on CL or daBay -but so many of those are being sold for good reason. Maybe this is a better question -what subs have folk used for at least a year with their Maggies and been happy with ?

Craig B

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm »
I’d already sold the MG1s I had for 20 years when I bought my first sub, a 10” variable-tuned Hsu, for use with a pair of Meadowlark Kestrel 2s. Then when I got my .7s in 2019, I kept the Hsu in the system, and thought it did a serviceable job. But just yesterday I took delivery of a pair of REL T/7xs that will replace the Hsu. I hope to notice better integration from the speed of the RELs, and the fact that there’s a pair of them.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2022, 11:43 pm »
It's not much of a problem to find a sub on CL or daBay -but so many of those are being sold for good reason. Maybe this is a better question -what subs have folk used for at least a year with their Maggies and been happy with ?

People sell subs on Agon for all sorts of reasons.  I have seen many a REL or Rythmik sub for sale.

As far as subs for Maggies go that people use-  Rythmik, REL, JL Fathom, SVS, Velodyne DD, Martin Logan.  Servo and Sealed.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2022, 11:53 pm »
I used a SVS SB-3000 when I was running 1.7s. With the remote app SVS has, it was easy to integrate the sub. With the 1.7s though, I sometimes wondered why I used the sub at all. It was only beeded with certain music, music with extremely deep bass.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2022, 12:05 am »
The T/7s should work well.
I think johnto is giving good advice on this one.

I'm using an SVS box for the boob tube, two SVS cylindrical for the 3.7s, an SVS cylinderical for the 1.7 and an REL T1 with the LRS.
Looking at the response curve for the LRS I see why I had such a time getting that small bedroom system to sound right.

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2022, 12:27 am »
…what subs have folk used for at least a year with their Maggies and been happy with ?

Power Sound Audio Triax.  :thumb:

BikeFi10

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2022, 07:01 pm »
Late here, but for those that are here I bought 1.7i s. My wife who listens with me more than not demanded more bass. My previous speakers were klipsch ported towers with matching ported sub, alot of base. Read many great things about Rythmix servos and went with 12" sealed 400w sub. To me it is sharp and clear not muddy like klipsch. Wife isnt happy til volume is at 70 -75%. Feared I blew it one night it rattled, but I think its ok.
I recently pulled 1.7i s from main amp and fed them from the Rythmix panel amp HP XO. Now the 1.7i s are xo at 80hz. Im impressed how just the 1 sub carrys the low end and kinda think the 1.7i s sound a bit clearer. Wife hasnt heard xo change yet, but I think I can get away with it.

jjss49

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2022, 10:05 pm »
Rel subs work very well with Maggies.  They are excellent, highly musical, fast enough to mate with the panels, and easy to integrate.  Other subs mentioned could do well too, I have just never felt the need to try them, having had Rels since the '00's.  Wendell, ever the motivated salesman, will of course tell you you must have his new DWM bass panels... nothing else will do... :lol:

If you have the skills to set up/place Maggies to make them sound good, integrating Rels (a pair is much better than a single) is a piece o cake.

Properly dialed in in a good room, I don't think 1.7i's and up have to have subs for a sufficiently pleasing full range presentation, but that said, putting in a set of Rel's below really really adds to the overall quality of sound.  So much better imaging, and ease of sound, and solidity up and down the full frequency range.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2022, 10:30 pm »
No Sub(s) for me. I have Magnepan 20.7s and am totally happy as is.

kmmd

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2022, 10:46 pm »
jjss49 is right on point with his post.  I’m in the camp that ALL Maggie’s, even 20.7’s, will benefit from subs.  You really don’t know what you’re missing without one or two.  I used a pair of REL 212/SE’s with my 3.6’s, and that worked out really well.  Now that I’ve moved on to YG Acoustics main speakers, I hear how midbass and bass should really sound as compared to a large mylar panel trying to reproduce that.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rel-acoustics-212se-sub-bass-system/

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2022, 11:29 pm »
The first time I heard a REL, or more accurately, didn't hear was with the Maggie 3.7i. It was a REL Gibraltar G2 that stole my heart. Now I own one and it is still the best sub I never hear, music is seamless from 20 HZ on up. Audiophile friends crawl on their hands and knees, putting their ear to the driver to hear if it is on, then I put on a track from Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" and they actually jump in their seat. Bass is subtle, majestic, dynamic, and room filling depending on the recording.

The affordable smaller REL subs are just that - affordable. If you really want to hear what a properly designed sub can do one of their subs in the higher price bracket is needed. The T/7x mentioned rolls off at 30 Hz, that is where my sub starts. A lot of music has sub-bass material, new and old. The Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" is one example, an extended sub puts the listener inside the church. Modern recordings always has some fun ear candy, from the latest David Crosby to Parov Stelar.

kmmd

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2022, 12:04 am »
I agree WGH that a well designed and engineered sub just disappears and becomes part of the performance.  I’ve always read about REL’s and Magnepans but didn’t try them until a few years ago.  I’ve never heard a T series sub, as I started with a pair of S/5 SHO’s.  Then I purchased the 212/SE which performed better than the pair of S/5’s.  I got lucky and found a second 212/SE from a local seller. 

BTW, I use the 212 pair with my YG’s.  So what happened to my 3.6’s?  They’re now my rear surround speakers.  One S/5 is my center channel sub.  My 1.6QR’s (ex rears) are in my bedroom system with the other S/5 SHO.  The wife ain’t too happy with all of my excess gear.  :lol: