Concerns with adding threaded feet to the NX-Oticas.

g3rain1

Currently I just have some adhesive backed Sorbothane hemispheres as feet, but I would like to upgrade to adjustable threaded feet.  To do this I would need to add threaded inserts to the base, but the concern I have is the Oticas are rather heavy and MDF is a soft material. So I worry they could just punch through the base especially if I'm repositioning them and the weigh shifts to just 2 or 1 of the feet as I move the speaker around.

Has anyone done this and how has it worked out? Are there any steps I could take to minimize that risk, or am I worried over nothing and MDF is stronger that I credit it for?

My lifetime woodworking experience includes building the NX-Oticas and a pair of Encores and that's it.

rinzzlr

Re: Concerns with adding threaded feet to the NX-Oticas.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2023, 09:50 pm »
I added M8*15mm threaded inserts to my NX-Otica’s. I used a stop collar on a drill bit so I didn’t drill the pilot too deep.  After drilling the pilot I screwed the insert in all the way then unscrewed it and put a small amount of epoxy on it and screwed it back in.  It worked out really well and don’t have any concern about it punching through. I’m more concerned about if I were to attempt to drag them that it could rip out of the bottom, so I don’t drag them, I lift them when I want to move them.

These are what I used on the NX-Otica’s (15mm) and Double Trouble’s (20mm).

Zuman

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2023, 10:25 pm »
I don't know if these would work for you, but this is what I used to mount Isoacoustics Gaia feet to my DIY tower speakers (about 90lb each). They work great and have held up with no problems (I did epoxy both the part that's inserted through the wood and also the flat discs that are recessed). They're available from Amazon and are described as "MroMax 10Pcs 4.8 Grade Carbon Steel Three Hole Tee Nut M8x37.5x2.5mm Flange Insert T-Nut Mounting for Furniture Installation Bronze Tone."

g3rain1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2023, 03:55 am »
I’m more concerned about if I were to attempt to drag them that it could rip out of the bottom, so I don’t drag them, I lift them when I want to move them.
I don't drag them either. I'm not sure I'm able to lift them to move it however. I usually walk them, by tilting them up and rocking from one corner to the other.

I don't know if these would work for you, but this is what I used to mount Isoacoustics Gaia feet to my DIY tower speakers (about 90lb each). They work great and have held up with no problems (I did epoxy both the part that's inserted through the wood and also the flat discs that are recessed). They're available from Amazon and are described as "MroMax 10Pcs 4.8 Grade Carbon Steel Three Hole Tee Nut M8x37.5x2.5mm Flange Insert T-Nut Mounting for Furniture Installation Bronze Tone."

Your speaker looks like solid wood. I wouldn't be concerened if that were the case for me. Though these look like they have quite abit more surface area than the typical inserts. So this might work well for me.

g3rain1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2023, 06:23 am »
Okay, I think I'm getting these. So a couple questions for you, How do you cut those shallow holes, like what tool do you use? It can't be a regular drill? And how do you make sure the center hole is lined up?

EdwardT

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2023, 12:47 pm »
That clean edge looks like a Forstner bit cut it, that would leave a pilot mark dead center for the next drilling.

Zuman

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2023, 01:12 pm »
Correct. I used a 2" Forstner bit: about $14 from Amazon. Practice a couple of times on some scrap and you'll be fine (and even if you're hand-holding your drill and don't get the recess completely flat you can even the metal base up with some epoxy underneath).

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2023, 01:27 am »
Currently I just have some adhesive backed Sorbothane hemispheres as feet, but I would like to upgrade to adjustable threaded feet.  To do this I would need to add threaded inserts to the base, but the concern I have is the Oticas are rather heavy and MDF is a soft material. So I worry they could just punch through the base especially if I'm repositioning them and the weigh shifts to just 2 or 1 of the feet as I move the speaker around.

Has anyone done this and how has it worked out? Are there any steps I could take to minimize that risk, or am I worried over nothing and MDF is stronger that I credit it for?

My lifetime woodworking experience includes building the NX-Oticas and a pair of Encores and that's it.

Is this on carpet or hard flooring, and does it have to be adjustable?  I am chewing on building Oticas and have an idea for how to handle the issue of "Moving onto the launch pad" vs "Put back in the assembly building" vs "Let's aim this better"...

Zuman

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2023, 02:25 am »
Is this on carpet or hard flooring, and does it have to be adjustable?  I am chewing on building Oticas and have an idea for how to handle the issue of "Moving onto the launch pad" vs "Put back in the assembly building" vs "Let's aim this better"...

I use those steel flange-mount ball transfers under a pair of QuickJacks that I like to roll around on my garage floor (I've attached them in a way where they don't contact the floor when the ramp is elevated). They've held up well to some pretty rough handling, but I don't think I'd want them as my speakers' primary interface with the floor (it's basically just a ball in a relatively thin steel cup).
There are long and passionate threads about spikes vs other options and I am certainly not an expert, but there seems to be some solid engineering behind the IsoAcoustics Gaia design, including their unidirectional restriction on movement. My speakers are currently on a carpeted floor, so I use the Gaias' spiked cups underneath them. If I move them to a hard surface at some point I'll just remove the spiked cups.