Searching for X-over components!

GETRDUN

Searching for X-over components!
« on: 14 Dec 2017, 12:29 am »
I'm wanting to get some opinions on what caps, coils, resistors I should use for upgrading speaker cross-overs! So many different brands of these components to choose from! :duh: Are the really high priced components worth the money, or are they just another snake oil pitch?? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Searching for X-over components!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:06 am »
For a great selection of parts and great service, contact Jeff at Sonic Craft. He has a circle here on AC.

http://www.soniccraft.com/

Parts Express is another site that comes to mind.

If you don't get a lot of responses or ideas here, try posting this in the GR Research circle. A lot of DIY folks like to watch that circle.

Enjoy,

Michael

GETRDUN

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:33 am »
For a great selection of parts and great service, contact Jeff at Sonic Craft. He has a circle here on AC.

http://www.soniccraft.com/

Parts Express is another site that comes to mind.

If you don't get a lot of responses or ideas here, try posting this in the GR Research circle. A lot of DIY folks like to watch that circle.

Enjoy,

Michael

Thanks! I'll check out the links you posted!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:43 am »
I'm wanting to get some opinions on what caps, coils, resistors I should use for upgrading speaker cross-overs! So many different brands of these components to choose from! :duh: Are the really high priced components worth the money, or are they just another snake oil pitch?? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Let's ask Tony!  http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

GETRDUN

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
Lets say I have a 10uF value cap in the tweeter section. Can I use a .1uf and also .01uF all paralleled? I was also told to try higher values for bypassing like a .47mF. Would this .47uF be excessive? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2017, 01:48 am »
Lets say I have a 10uF value cap in the tweeter section. Can I use a .1uf and also .01uF all paralleled? I was also told to try higher values for bypassing like a .47mF. Would this .47uF be excessive? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

The very loose rule of thumb on bypass caps is 1%. But crossover design is an art, and breaking the rules makes good art. :D  .1uF and .01uF would not substantially change the crossover frequency. But the .47uF would be a 5% change in the cap value so freq will measurably change.   But caps have 10-20% tolerance. You can measure the caps electrically, or measure the resulting acoustic response, or just listen if it's OK. Small changes like that are subtle.  It might sound OK at first, but the balance and musicality of the original speaker design can be easily disrupted when swapping parts. Depending if the original designer was that operating on that subtle level or not.

You made a typo with .47mF, as .47mF = 470uF, so adding it to 10uF would move your tweeter crossover frequency down into the subwoofer range which would fry your tweeter, so don't do that. :p

Edit:
Are the really high priced components worth the money, or are they just another snake oil pitch??

Audio is pretty competitive biz, so yes, with a few expections, usually you get what you pay for, especially if you stick with established brands you'll usually get what you pay for. You can spend $500 on a 10uF cap (Duelund silver) or you can spend $1 like Bennic or Solen. Each has it's place and they are both good value for what they offer. But if you have a $1000 beryllium tweeter you don't want a Solen cap on it. And you don't want to waste a supercap on a woofer crossed over at 120Hz.  There are some nice caps in the middle range, they sound good and don't cost too much. One cap that I like and use is Jantzen Superior-Z film caps (red) from Parts Express. I like the sound and the price and I like the Jantzen brand. ymmv

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2017, 02:52 pm »
While using higher quality components may change the cross-over sound, it may not be an improvement. Loudspeaker designers are often aware of the imperfections in the components that they use and those imperfections are accounted for in voicing the loudspeaker. For instance, the inductor that they chose may have a lot of series resistance.  A higher quality inductor will have less series resistance and the speaker sound may change.  Or they may sort wide tolerance parts into bins and select the one that matches other parts.