DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!
« on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:57 pm »
I got myself some new DT1350's today and have been listening since they came, these are extremely comfortable, 2.5 hours listening out of the box, no fatigue.
These babies came alive when I ran my nexus 7 through my Fiio 07 dac/amp. So far they are sounding better and better as they run in.
 These are fun to listen with, I picked tunes I haven't heard in quite some time and everything I picked sounded wonderful.
 They go low and then lower with complete control, it's great fun. The high end sparkles and Improves as they rack up more time it sounds like, how long do you think a good break in will take?

viggen

Re: DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2014, 08:48 pm »
I got this around thanksgiving and thought they sounded good right out of the box but it keeps improving over the next 50 hours or so of burn in.  In my case, I thought the sound was a bit thicker at the beginning and gradually spread a bit thinner as sound stage expanded a bit with use.  I got the DT990 and DT880 at the same time to compare, and the DT1350 had a more dynamic mid range I thought which made it easier to gravitate towards.  Maybe it's because of the Tesla drivers that the other two lack.

At the end, it went back to big river because of its form factor.  My ears hurt after 30 mins.  It's not small enough to wear out or in office as I prefer ear buds (IEMs) for both applications.  And, they are not as comfy as over the ear phones that I use at home.  So, I ended up with a pair of JVC HAXFT90 for work and walking around and a pair of Audeze LCD2 for home.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2014, 11:20 pm »
I bought 2 of the 1350s at full MSRP, but got rid of both eventually because of comfort and bad sound quality due to lack of a bass seal with the stiff earpads. But based on the incredible difference the T51p earpads make (same headphone with different cable and tuning), I'll be getting a refresh 1350 pretty soon.

Judging by their looks, 1350 vs 51p, I think they appear to be exactly the same thing??  But, the 1350 is selling for much less dough.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:36 pm »
The unit I have is outstanding, the bass and low end in general and how its precise and controlled is the best I've heard since my HE5-LE's.
These make me want to listen to all kinds of stuff from electronic to acoustic Jazz, Rock and Roll.....I was listening to Filter today and the kid on Short Bus is perfect....makes me smile.

I don't want to over do my thoughts but right now these are my favorite headphones, hands down!
Highly recommend them and at the price point they are going for its really a fantastic opportunity :icon_lol:.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:04 am »
The unit I have is outstanding, the bass and low end in general and how its precise and controlled is the best I've heard since my HE5-LE's.
These make me want to listen to all kinds of stuff from electronic to acoustic Jazz, Rock and Roll.....I was listening to Filter today and the kid on Short Bus is perfect....makes me smile.

I don't want to over do my thoughts but right now these are my favorite headphones, hands down!
Highly recommend them and at the price point they are going for its really a fantastic opportunity :icon_lol:.

I've been giving the Audezes a day or two of rest while I assess these facelifts for any differences. I ran them directly out of my Outlaw pre/pro's headphone jack while I was watching Ender's Game and I was very impressed. There is SOMETHING slightly different about the sonics vs the originals, but I cant' quite place my finger on it. It's very subtle, and it's for the better. I want to say they sound slightly less veiled, but I dont mean to imply that the originals sounded veiled...if that makes any sense. The low end effects were fantastic, as always, and dialogue was crystal clear. I definitely am able to notice the improvement in comfort over the originals, as well. I wear glasses, and that was one issue that became problematic with the originals when I had them on for an hour or more. But the running time for the movie was right at 2hrs and I had no issues at all this time. So these pads and/or headband have done their job...and the clamp is slightly less, as I mentioned already, so that comes into play, too.

If there are better headphones for a buck seventy-four, I don't know what they are....these are a steal at this price.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:53 am »
So I expected great things from the refresh version, with ear-conforming pads, but reading here that the sound is nearly identical is very disappointing.
Dale where have either of us said the sound was disappointing? I haven't read anything that even remotely suggests that in any of Zepps posts. Personally I think these are fabulous.....Dale I'm curious why all along the way here after we post something positive about these 1350's you post some kind of negative, or basically restate the same negative. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but your reviews of spoken positively about the 1350's haven't they?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:03 am »
I truly don't know what more anyone could want for this money...

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:19 am »
I truly don't know what more anyone could want for this money...

In my case, comfort.. haha.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:01 am »
Dale: From what you're saying, you never really even got to experience the true sound of the 1350s since you had problems getting a seal on the original pads. There is very little sound difference for me because I *love* the original 1350s. I've used them nearly every day for the past two years and they go with me wherever I go. So to me, the fact that there is very little change in the sound was a relief...mainly because I already felt they sounded fantastic.

If the new ear pads allow you get a better fit than you did before, you may find there is a major difference in how the sound, you know?

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:02 am »
In my case, comfort.. haha.

Yep, that would have been the only thing I wanted, too...so far the new ones have addressed that, so hopefully anyone who had comfort issues before will give these a fresh listen. When properly seated on the ears, they really do sound great.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:12 am »
I was struck by how good the measurements look in this set of graphs, particularly the square wave and impulse response, compared to other headphones–even some of the best:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads
(in the "earpad sealed" listings)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:17 am »
Viggen I'm sure you've tried this and if you haven't and still have the phones make sure you open up the split headband. I have the leading half between my ears and eyes and the back half behind the peak/crown of my skull and the pressure really is lessened. Mine are open maybe as much as 4-5inches roughly I would guess....just a thought.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:27 am »
I was struck by how good the measurements look in this set of graphs, particularly the square wave and impulse response, compared to other headphones–even some of the best:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads
(in the "earpad sealed" listings)

It's funny cause Tyll and I usually have very different taste in headphones. He's never been a fan of the brands that have traditionally been my two favorites - Grado and Beyerdynamic. So when he not only raved about the 1350s but - at the time - considered them the best sealed on-ears he'd EVER heard, I assumed that I probably wouldn't like 'em. The last time I had taken his advice was with the Phillips Downtowns, and I got burned big time...I hated nearly everything about them, yet he has them on his wall of fame. So it was much to my surprise when I fell as much in love with the little Beyers as he did. I think it's pretty much the only headphone that he and I have both loved, although he's also now very fond of the LCD-X...so I guess that makes two.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:07 pm »
Yup, what he said....

eclein...congrats on the new toy!

The 1350's are amazing.

Each and every time I listen I am amazed at how good they sound for their small size...really a neat engineering marvel.

Tyell in a new review thinks that the  Senn Amperiors, Aluminum cans are better...but on another site there are several
people that disagree and I am one of them!

I contacted Beyer a few months ago and asked them what they had that has the same type of accurate bass etc that would have a larger soundstage, they suggested the DT880's etc or T90's...

I got the T90s and they are excellent but still very different than the 1350s.

They are my (2) favorites.

Alex

viggen

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:33 pm »
Viggen I'm sure you've tried this and if you haven't and still have the phones make sure you open up the split headband. I have the leading half between my ears and eyes and the back half behind the peak/crown of my skull and the pressure really is lessened. Mine are open maybe as much as 4-5inches roughly I would guess....just a thought.

Ed, I did the same.  If i remember correctly, I preferred to first tilt the phones frontwards as much as possible with the front band then pulling the rear band as back as possible.  It's ok comfortable for a time, but the clamp pressure is just too high and the contact points are right ON my ears instead of around it which I know is by design.  I even left the phones clamped to a basketball for 48 hours.  It helped it bit.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm »
Hey Viggen you tried.....bummer.

adydula: "Tyell in a new review thinks that the  Senn Amperiors, Aluminum cans are better...but on another site there are several
people that disagree and I am one of them!"

I have Amperiors, got them last year instead of the 1350's because zepp had those and I wanted to try something different so we could all get info about different cans. I like the Amperiors but I like the DT1350 better because the quality of the low end presentation is superior in my mind. I'll do a straight up A-B session in awhile and really dig in. I also read a similar article but I understood the writer as saying the new Senn HD-25II (a metal cup looks identical to Amperior) was superior. They are a special edition for some anniversary......I'm not sure if its HD-25I or II or something else but I seem to remember the number I wrote there. I could be wrong, I was a musician, progressive jazz and all....I have killed some brain cells preparing for gigs.....LOL.....either way these 1350's are special, Ive never heard low end done perfect before.

How do we Germans do it.......lol

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm »

How do we Germans do it.......lol

:thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:39 am »
For any Canadians interested in these, I just bought a pair from NCIX for the equivalent of $170 USD. No import hassles and $8 shipping sweetened the deal, and they state right on the page that they are the new facelift model (under "specifications"):
http://products.ncix.com/detail/beyerdynamic-dt1350-cc-tesla-technology-c2-91799-1374.htm
This does seem to be the coiled cable version, but I can handle that, although I would have preferred a straight cable.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2014, 04:32 pm »
I just an ever so slightly used pair on CAM for 175 CAD shipped - with a straight cord.  :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:56 pm »
I am intrigued with the DT1350's.  I currently am using the ATH-M50's.  I only use my phones for late night listening with my I-phone or I plug it into my Marantz receiver when I want to watch late night TV or a movie.

I need another pair of closed cans so both my wife and I can watch TV or a movie without bothering her 83 year old Father as he is usually in bed by 8 pm.

I had really decided to buy the NAD Viso HP50's which run $250.  The guy on InnerFidelity loves these phones and they seem to get pretty good reviews across the board.

Has anyone tried the HP50's AND the DT1350's as to shed some light on how these two might compare?

Both phones are close enough in price that the price difference is not a factor in my decision.

Regards,

Randy