Evolution DAC

audio.bill

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #160 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:50 pm »
You get all the credit. Listening to a Magnificat album right now at 352!  The dac exactly tracks what a Tidal/Roon report.
Now that it's displaying 352kHz I'm certain you have it configured correctly and are getting the benefits of full MQA decoding!  :D

Samoyed

« Reply #161 on: 6 Feb 2019, 11:02 pm »
Man, if this mqa stuff is a scam, I’m glad to be fooled!  I’m looking forward to the day I can acquire two evo ones and use this dac as a preamp.

As good as I thought mqa was from the node 2, this is magnitudes better in every possible way. The bass will shake your guts!  The sound stage is easily 180 degrees side to side, and deep.

Samoyed

« Reply #162 on: 7 Feb 2019, 03:30 pm »
Alright, having used the zen mini for a day with the Evolution DAC I’m ready to fully and finally commit.

Con: I’d still like a comprehensive manual, that fully explains each function, without being conclusory.

What remains is one of the finest HiFi components I’ve ever had, or heard, since 1969, including McIntosh. The workmanship is first rate, and the case stunningly simple and beautiful. The dac functions flawlessly, with every control feeling of superior quality and I can’t wait to begin using it as a preamp. Nuprime clearly designs “systems” into its components so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which, for me means the cdt 8 pro flawlessly fits in via 12s!

Now, the sound of this DAC is super detailed, liquid and projects a wide, deep and credible soundstage. You can point to performers or instruments!  I now have NO analogue inputs and love it. The usb/mqa function works wonderfully and I can’t distinguish between a cd and the same file on Tidal with mqa. Yes, Virginia, it IS that good.

I’d like to thank John Casler and Nuprime for enabling me to reach this amazing plateau!

sresener

« Reply #163 on: 7 Feb 2019, 07:07 pm »
Is there any way to just use a high quality custom built dedicated media computer with the Roon software. Or would that be counter productive?

Samoyed

« Reply #164 on: 7 Feb 2019, 07:11 pm »
I haven’t a clue.  Contact Roon.

audio.bill

« Reply #165 on: 7 Feb 2019, 07:35 pm »
Is there any way to just use a high quality custom built dedicated media computer with the Roon software. Or would that be counter productive?
Yes, it is possible to run Roon core on a single PC in its simplest configuration. There are benefits to running Roon core on a networked server PC and then use the control app on a phone or tablet via WiFi for control, and you can stream high resolution audio over your network to multiple Roon Ready devices. Here's a basic overview of Roon configurations: https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html and more details on the system's architecture here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture Hope that helps!

sresener

« Reply #166 on: 7 Feb 2019, 08:25 pm »
You could, but if you are using such a high-end DAC, I would not recommend to use a notebook/laptop. Instead, use a networked audio adaptor like the "Sonore ultraRendu" or the "SOtm sMS-200ultra" (of course, both of them using an external linear power suply). Also, a good streaming client such as "Roon Labs" is highly recommended. Other wise, it is just saving money on the wrong parts...

This is why I was asking if I would get good results only using a pc, last thing I would want is a fancy new evo dac and evo amps and be feeding them crap.

My plan would be to source out a quality motherboard with a 19v dc imput, also I would  run a external linear power supply (I learned the hard way that power supply noise WILL be a issue) and use a ssd to eliminate any noise that could come from a mechanical hardrive.
I have been building htpc's for over 20 years just never connecting them to any real equiptment.

Samoyed

« Reply #167 on: 7 Feb 2019, 08:30 pm »
Well, sounds like you are set!  The Evolution DAC is top drawer!

sresener

« Reply #168 on: 7 Feb 2019, 08:39 pm »
I don't feel anywhere near being all set.

last thing I want to do is throw a bunch of money on a low powered passively cooled computer to not like it :) (but I know im going to do it)

Samoyed I can relate to all your comments on bringing (sneaking) equiptment into the house. If my wife sold all my stuff based on what I told her I paid for it. Well there would be some happy buyers out there thats for sure.

Samoyed

« Reply #169 on: 7 Feb 2019, 08:42 pm »
She Who Must Be Obeyed....  :o

Here’s the thing: they know, they always know.

sresener

« Reply #170 on: 20 Feb 2019, 06:25 pm »
I was looking into Roon. Besides the fancy expensive interface is there any sound quality advantages to use it?

OzarkTom

« Reply #171 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:19 am »
I don't feel anywhere near being all set.

last thing I want to do is throw a bunch of money on a low powered passively cooled computer to not like it :) (but I know im going to do it)

Samoyed I can relate to all your comments on bringing (sneaking) equiptment into the house. If my wife sold all my stuff based on what I told her I paid for it. Well there would be some happy buyers out there thats for sure.

I went to a yard sale in Dallas one time. The wife and husband was setting it up. The husband was in the house and I asked his wife how  much was the stereo equipment.

$5 a box she said. Her husband almost had a heart attack.

sresener

« Reply #172 on: 22 Feb 2019, 03:35 am »
I Just tried tidal, roon and mqa It was nice but defiantly not in the same league as my hi res files so I needed to hear this in a full setup not how I had it with a pc as everything.

So I went to a high end hifi shop and listened to a very nice setup the mains were b&w 800d3 and the rest was all expensive sim audio components. I think all the nordost interconnects were worth more than my entire system.

They gave me a demo and the source was Roon Streaming tidal Mqa. After 45 min of listening to songs I was very very  familiar with I came to a conclusion that the source did the system no justice. Don't get me wrong I think Tidals mqa is great but in my opinion not what this system needs.

My point to this once I get my evo dac and amps I think mqa will not do the system the justice it will deserve also.

It was funny how the shop owner played up mqa as the best thing ever. And got offended when I mentioned it is a very good method of compression :).

kevb

« Reply #173 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:16 pm »
Well, I am taking the plunge.  Going to get an EVO DAC.  It may be my only opportunity, so I want to make it count.I have always lived by the motto of getting into the best source you can afford, as nothing further down the chain can add back in the missing information.

Reading Samoyed's adventures has me seriously considering the InnuOS as well.

Now the wait begins.   :popcorn:

giordy60

« Reply #174 on: 26 Feb 2019, 09:16 pm »
heard today the new evo dac at the Italian importer
what to say? ..... okay
the dac was connected to a pair of active PSI audio M21 monitors
congratulations on the level of construction.
 :notworthy:

audio.bill

« Reply #175 on: 26 Feb 2019, 10:59 pm »
heard today the new evo dac at the Italian importer
what to say? ..... okay
the dac was connected to a pair of active PSI audio M21 monitors
congratulations on the level of construction.
 :notworthy:
Thanks for sharing your experience, but not really certain about your impressions of its sound. Were you able to compare it to any other DACs? It's clear you were impressed with its construction quality but would be interested in any other comments regarding its sonic quality. Thanks very much!

giordy60

« Reply #176 on: 27 Feb 2019, 08:00 am »
yesterday's was a test on the dac just arrived and put into operation
today if I can go and compare it with the dac 10 (which I have in my system)

sresener

« Reply #177 on: 4 Mar 2019, 03:50 pm »
I have a couple questions wonder if anyone knows them.

Does the evo dac use one or two 9038 chips.

Why was a c-transformer used over a Toroidal. A always thought for leakage ei-core -> c-core -> Toroidal

audio.bill

« Reply #178 on: 4 Mar 2019, 04:29 pm »
I have a couple questions wonder if anyone knows them.

Does the evo dac use one or two 9038 chips.

Why was a c-transformer used over a Toroidal. A always thought for leakage ei-core -> c-core -> Toroidal
The NuPrime Evolution DAC uses one ES9038PRO 32-bit, 8-channel DAC chip. Regarding the power supply design, from the website: "The filtered AC power is then fed to the AC power supply that utilizes C-Core transformers which has less stray flux than conventional ring type transformers. The stainless steel enclosures for the power supply provides shielding to minimize the transformer noise interference affecting other sensitive circuitry. A large capacitor bank (around 70,000uF) using specialized capacitors, supplies ample and stable power to the analog and digital circuitry."

rjclaster

« Reply #179 on: 9 Mar 2019, 09:43 am »
Has anyone compared the evolution dac to the ps audio directstream dac with the snowmass upgrade?