Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

rodge827

Re: MUSICAL PARADISE MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS BALANCED DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2017, 01:15 am »
 :thumb:

andycsb

In stock form...would this dac be considered organic and analog sounding? Thanks.

rajacat

• Washington State
In stock form...would this dac be considered organic and analog sounding? Thanks.
Yes IMO it has an analog presentation but it depends on how you define analog/organic. Changing out the stock tubes for quality NOS tubes take it to another level IMO. Of course, this is to be expected; the higher quality the parts, the better any DAC will sound. If you're interested in some more opinions/reviews here are some links.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802557/musical-paradise-m2-d2-ak4490-balanced-dac-reviews

http://www.audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/first-new-toy-2017-musical-paradise-mp-d2-11092.html

I started this thread to introduce AC members to this amazing DAC offered at a great price point. Some go into fits of rapture over a 1K power cord whereas I would contrast this great 27 lb. DAC  on how much more you can get for your hard earned money.

debjit.g

@rajacat,

I am interested in this DAC as well. earlier in your first post you were also considering the Holo Spring dac. Could you elaborate what made you choose the MP-D2 over the Holo ? Understand that the Holo cost much more in the stock form but does the MP-D2 sounds better than the Holo with all the upgrades ? Has anybody compared the Holo to the MP-D2 ?

rajacat

• Washington State
@rajacat,

I am interested in this DAC as well. earlier in your first post you were also considering the Holo Spring dac. Could you elaborate what made you choose the MP-D2 over the Holo ? Understand that the Holo cost much more in the stock form but does the MP-D2 sounds better than the Holo with all the upgrades ? Has anybody compared the Holo to the MP-D2 ?
I originally set a 1K price ceiling when I starting shopping for DACs about a year ago. I then became enamored with R2R dacs but most of them were very pricey except for the Mhdt dacs and the Schitt units which don't do DSD. I then glommed onto the Holo after reading ted b's review in the Computer Audiophile and after a lot of thought placed an order for the Level 2 version despite it being way over my price ceiling. After waiting more than a month with no set delivery date, I canceled my order and started looking elsewhere.

I then discovered the MP D2. I noticed that this particular dac had inspired a passionate following. I then found the Audioshark forum and noted that many of whom have purchased the D2 have very high end systems and could afford almost any DAC.
So I read all the discussions i could find and didn't discover even one bad review. So since this DAC fell under my price ceiling, i took the plunge. I like that you can tailor the sound a bit with tubes and cap changes. Most dacs have a house sound which I imagine corresponds to the designer's personal preferences. Well... all ears are different and all listening environments are different too. IMO designers that think they can offer a dac with the one true sound are mistaken. I like tubes because, like tyson mentioned in another thread, they help to restore the second order harmonic information that's sometimes destroyed earlier in the reproduction process. You could say rolling tubes is akin to sampling fine cigars or scotch. :)

I'll have to admit that tube rolling can become expensive fast, so that's something to consider with this DAC. However, once you find what you want, no need to keep buying, as tubes in this DAC should last a long time.

I still follow the Holo Spring discussion but I'm happy with my purchase. I don't know of anyone who has directly compared the Holo to the D2.

viggen

I've been eyeing this and the Gustard.  My current dac is Ciunas.  Any idea how far behind this dac is to the MP and Gustard?

I feel the Ciunas lacks a sense of drive.  Perhaps it's because I am not using an active preamp.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Interesting design. I wonder what the design center is since it is supporting numerous different types of tubes that have different optimum plate voltages, and bias. I wonder if it's a cathode follower output stage. I wonder if the output capacitor is tweakable because what appears to be binding posts that hold the leads of the capacitor.

Looks like a whole lot of fun!

Best,
Anand.

rajacat

• Washington State
Interesting design. I wonder what the design center is since it is supporting numerous different types of tubes that have different optimum plate voltages, and bias. I wonder if it's a cathode follower output stage. I wonder if the output capacitor is tweakable because what appears to be binding posts that hold the leads of the capacitor.

Looks like a whole lot of fun!

Best,
Anand.

Arnand,
Yes, the small binding posts are to make cap changes easy. I'm rolling in a pair of Mundorf S/O soon. I already did a bypass of the gold Obligatos with some T3 Russian teflons. Added a little resolution and extension to the high end. :D

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2017, 03:41 am »
Let us know if it raises them enough.  If you e-mail Garry at MP he may know.
Yes, a socket saver easily raises this big bulb RCA 5R4 high enough to clear the cover.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:32 pm »
New rectifier for my MP-D2. :) The Mighty USAF 596. I like the Dr. Frankenstein's lab look of this toob. Coke bottle thick glass built to withstand nuclear blast. Much larger than my RCA 5AR4. I'm really having fun rolling tubes in this DAC! I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more interest here. For the $'s its hard to beat. Competes on even footing with much more expensive units especially with tube upgrade. Poor man's Lampizator 1K! I'd like to A/B it. 8) 27 lbs. of pleasure.
This DAC is a modders delight. Large case with plenty of room to work. One of the very experienced modders here should get one these. I believe the potential of the MP-D2 is very high. Sounds high end with no mods.
Very high resolution with analog flavor. Will do native DSD if you want.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:02 am »
rajacat,

I reread this thread only to realize I haven't posted yet - easily rectified.

I read about this DAC first in another forum (head-fi? computeraudio?) and I got pretty excited about it. This thread only adds to that excitement.

If I hadn't upgraded to the Gustard X20u just 11 months ago, I would have already bought this unit (and likely would have asked aldcol to burn it in for me - poor guy). Then, I would have had another foam cocoon-in-a-suitcase made in order to bring it to Taiwan (where I am right now) without getting blasted by the ridiculous import duties. The things I must do for my addiction....er...hobby.

I'm afraid I'm just going to have to suffer a while longer with my Gustard until someone offers to take it off my hands. It's still stock and it sounds terrific in my system.

What's wrong with me? If this were a car, I'd hang onto it for 10 years without batting an eye. Yet, here I am with an eleven-month old DAC and I'm fantasizing about the MP-D2 DAC!  :nono:

JackD

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:33 am »
Michael

Would the import duty situation be different with the unit shipping from China as opposed to Canada.  And I really like my MP too.

mresseguie

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2017, 03:15 am »
Hi, JackD.

It doesn't matter where it's coming from. So long as it's audiophile level, it's taxed at 21% and they keep records of who brings in what just in case someone gets the clever idea of importing goods for resale without a license. Customs did a good enough job of making me feel uncomfortable with their questions regarding the Fritz speakers I had shipped over that I want to avoid going that route if at all possible.

There are a couple different floorstanding speakers that I crave (Daedalus, Salk), but bringing them across the Pacific Pond would incur two to three thousand dollars in shipping and another three-plus thousand in import duties with QUESTIONS! It makes monitors packed in closed cell foam cocoons very attractive. Heck, I just brought my Don Sachs Model 2 preamp over and it sounds wonderful. As far as Don knows, it's the only one in Taiwan - for now8)

Michael

JackD

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2017, 03:44 am »
So instead of being a tax to protect domestic production it is just a "guilty pleasures" tax?

rodge827

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2017, 03:52 am »
Yes, a socket saver easily raises this big bulb RCA 5R4 high enough to clear the cover.

rajacat where did you get the socket saver? Link?

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:25 am »
Deleted to avoid hijacking the thread.

pis99

« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:28 am »
This is incorrect statement! I currently have two MP-D2s on hand in Taipei office. One shipped directly from China and the other brought in as a checked luggage from LA. In fact, the checked MP-D2 also came in with my much bigger unopened Microsoft Surface Studio. No tax whatsoever nor did I make any false statement in the custom.

The MP-D2 is a nice DAC for it's price that I strongly recommend you buy from China. The courier used by manufacturer will get your MP-D2 at your door anywhere in Taiwan without any charge.

Hi, JackD.

It doesn't matter where it's coming from. So long as it's audiophile level, it's taxed at 21% and they keep records of who brings in what just in case someone gets the clever idea of importing goods for resale without a license. Customs did a good enough job of making me feel uncomfortable with their questions regarding the Fritz speakers I had shipped over that I want to avoid going that route if at all possible.

There are a couple different floorstanding speakers that I crave (Daedalus, Salk), but bringing them across the Pacific Pond would incur two to three thousand dollars in shipping and another three-plus thousand in import duties with QUESTIONS! It makes monitors packed in closed cell foam cocoons very attractive. Heck, I just brought my Don Sachs Model 2 preamp over and it sounds wonderful. As far as Don knows, it's the only one in Taiwan - for now8)

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2017, 08:03 am »
This is incorrect statement! I currently have two MP-D2s on hand in Taipei office. One shipped directly from China and the other brought in as a checked luggage from LA. In fact, the checked MP-D2 also came in with my much bigger unopened Microsoft Surface Studio. No tax whatsoever nor did I make any false statement in the custom.

The MP-D2 is a nice DAC for it's price that I strongly recommend you buy from China. The courier used by manufacturer will get your MP-D2 at your door anywhere in Taiwan without any charge.

Hi, Daniel.

This no import duty on audiophile goods coming from China is news to me, but I thank you for this news. I will look into it. As for bringing items in as checked luggage, you'll see that I did just that in my previous post, and that I did not suffer the import duty.  :)

如何避免進口稅呢?

Regards,

Michael

JakeJ

So I stumbled across this thread while seeking opinions on USB cables and after doing only a cursory bit of research I am seriously intrigued.  Has anyone used it as a preamp/DAC combo?  I kinda wish it had a headphone output but that's certainly not a deal killer.

rodge827

I tried it as a dac-pre and preferred the fixed out to my preamp. The preamp on the dac is for RCA only. If you run balanced you will need a preamp or integrated amp.

Chris