New Stuff

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
New Stuff
« on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:30 pm »
Hello!

Despite how quiet the forum has been I've been busy here doing both DIY and OEM stuff. I wanted to post an update listing some new stuff I have around that is not on the web yet.

First - I still do all the parts for TAP-X DIY builds. That includes the Slagleformer modules and other bits inside. Very soon (any day now) we'll have a really nice case folks can get to make these builds easier to pull off. The wiring is pretty easy but it has been hard to get cases unless you are really handy with that kind of thing.....

Also I still do the resistor based attenuator systems. For most my OEM customers this is what they use. Only a few out there have the budget to use the autoformers inside.

Other new things are:

Bent Metal Handsets - really nice all metal handsets as an option to the plastic ones. I have 2 button (for vol up /down), 5 button (few relay functions - see below), and full 13 button version to run all the TAP-X type functions.

New input switching boards:

- 2 channel board for RCA connections for both right and left on one pcb. Also includes a mute and a misc relay.

- 2 channel board for XLR  connections for both right and left on one pcb. Also includes a mute and a misc relay.

- 2 channel board for XLR  connections  with separate input relays for phase switching for both right and left on one pcb. Also includes a mute and a misc relay. Note your circuit must be happy with flipping hot and ground to use this to switch phase.

New ALPS PCB with 3 Relays on it for misc functions like mute, couple of sources, etc..

Very soon a new Stepper attenuator PCB (Goldpoint, Dact, Shallco) with 3 Relays on it for misc functions like mute, couple of sources, etc..

General purpose TVC switching board - can be used with other TVC's to switch up to 28 taps and 6 inputs. Also has relays for mute and a misc function.

All the above new boards can be used with either the PRM-1 module (or naked PRM-1 PCB) or the full width front panel PCB.

I still only have the choice of Hybrid resistor PCB's or the Slagleformer modules for attenuation. Have not thought of any way to improve either so they have not changed in some time......

If anyone has ideas for new stuff that fits in with the modular system then please do pass them along.

Thansk!

John

mgalusha

Re: New Stuff
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:55 pm »
I just built one of John's TAP-X with the full balanced option and the lovely metal remote, could not be happier with the results and John was, as always, great to deal with.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:22 pm »
I'll second John. Great guy great products.

charles

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:02 pm »
Hello!

Thanks guys. I am lucky to have such great customers!

John

TomW16

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2013, 03:06 am »
I just built one of John's TAP-X with the full balanced option and the lovely metal remote, could not be happier with the results and John was, as always, great to deal with.  :thumb:

I am so jealous Mike.  I have the single ended version of the Tap-X preamp but have thought many times about upgrading to balanced (2 more Slagleformers) so that I could then build the new ncore amp, which is best run balanced (as I have read).  It is a big jump financially to do all of that, especially since the sound is so good through my single ended system.

Tom

siliconray

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:03 am »
What is the size of the TAP-X? Probably we can develop a case to make it looks batter (maybe cheaper?)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:44 am »
+1

Love my fully balanced TAP-X.  It is superb (objectively & subjectively)!

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:43 pm »
I have been running my Exasound E20 DAC directly into my NCores for a while now.  Ted_b keeps telling me to come and get his TAP again but I am resisting.  I want to fully get the E20 sound using its VC in my head.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Colorado at the end of May to visit our son, who happens to live about 15 minutes from Mike Galusha.  :thumb:  I am planning on taking my E20 to Mike's.  I am really really hoping that there is NOT a big difference with using the TAP-X with the E20.

Probably just fooling myself...  :roll:

Regards,

Randy

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2013, 06:16 pm »
My wife and I are planning a trip to Colorado at the end of May to visit our son, who happens to live about 15 minutes from Mike Galusha.  :thumb:  I am planning on taking my E20 to Mike's.  I am really really hoping that there is NOT a big difference with using the TAP-X with the E20.

I hope there is not a huge difference between the Mytek and the E20. Mebbe my little tweaks to the Mytek will make them closer. ;)

gnnett

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:14 am »
Hello!

General purpose TVC switching board - can be used with other TVC's to switch up to 28 taps and 6 inputs. Also has relays for mute and a misc function.

Thansk!

John

Hi John

Do let us know when the above is on the web site and/or available.

Thanks
Gnnett

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2013, 09:30 pm »
Hello!

For Siliconray : Where were you a few years back! Just kidding - it's taken quite some time to get a case option for the autoformer builds.... The new case is arriving in the next few weeks and the prototype is already off to a reviewer. I think it looks nice and the cost will be a bit under $300 I think. Note I will have no $ in the case - my cost will be the sell price. It's just expensive to get low volume cases made up.... I wanted to have a way for folks to do a build without getting all setup to make casework.

For gnnett: Please e-mail me at johnc@bentaudio.com . I have these boards done now - in fact an OEM has used a handful of them through the last year.

Thansk!

John

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2013, 09:48 pm »
I hope there is not a huge difference between the Mytek and the E20. Mebbe my little tweaks to the Mytek will make them closer. ;)

What tweaks did you make Mike?

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2013, 09:51 pm »
What tweaks did you make Mike?

I'd rather not say at this point. I'm going to send it to a friend who has the same version number and get his thoughts. What I did was very minor and may or may not change things, for better or worse. Sorry to hijack John's thread.

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:46 am »
OK, Thanks.

Let me know when you decide to say.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:34 pm »
I have been pestering John for a while now about these cases. My balanced TAP-X kit is on order. In addition, we discussed about adding a blank rear panel option for those of us who have our own XLR's and RCA's to customize  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.