Barry's HT3's

95bcwh

Barry's HT3's
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:20 am »
Not really a surprise to anyone, the HT3 not only looks good, but sounds so good too!!! :mrgreen:

I just had it all set up in my small room: 10ft wide, 9ft height and 15ft long. I run RWA modded SB3 analog out straight into Bryston 4B-SST. Because of the limited width of my room, I place the two speakers 7ft apart. They're 3 ft from the front wall. I toe in the speakers at 15 degree.

I then stood in the middle of the two speakers and walked backward trying to find the best spot, using some Jazz vocal songs, I manage to find a spot where the vocal are centered right in the middle and the speakers appears to have "disappear", the vocal sounded so real as if someone is singing off that front wall just few feet away from me!

Because I'm an absolute newbie in this hobby, I'm surprised to find that this sweet spot is just 5 and a half feet away from both speakers, I'm basically sitting almost 7 feet from the back wall!

Hmmm... now I finally understand, why some people choose to place their speakers along the "long wall".

The dispersion of HT3 is really good, despite sitting so close to the speakers, the speakers is pointing towards a spot about 8 ft behind me, and yet it doesn't seem to lose any of its details/resolution.

I have listened to some speakers more expensive than the HT3, among others:
1. Legacy Focus
2. JM-Lab Utopia
3. JM-Lab Electra Be 1027
4. Vandy 5A
5. Orion
6. Paradigm Signature S8

I think HT3 is the most "neutral" sounding of all.. the rest of these speakers either are on the lean side, or slightly harsh, or unrefined/uncontrolled basses. Ok, to be fair, I shall give these speakers benefit of a doubt, maybe they're just not set up properly..:)

I have to take this opportunity to thank all the people in audiocircle who had kindly shared your invaluable knowledge (from speakers choice to room treatment) in helping me to acquire such a remarkable system.

Next thing on my agenda: Get a Tact 2.0S, and hopefully this will take my wonderful audio experience to another level  :mrgreen:

jsalk

Barry's HT3's
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:29 pm »
Barry -

You may want to experiment with less toe-in.  Use as little toe-in as possible while still maintaining pinpoint imaging.  Then the stereo spread will be wider.

If you do experiment, let us know what the optimum toe-in is in your room.

- Jim

texas steve

Barry's HT3's
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:35 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Barry -

You may want to experiment with less toe-in.  Use as little toe-in as possible while still maintaining pinpoint imaging.  Then the stereo spread will be wider.
If you do experiment, let us know what the optimum toe-in is in your room.
- Jim

Barry, Jim gave me the same advise about toe-in and I ended up with about 5 degree.   I found that with the top grill covers on (yes I had to have them for the "wife factor" the dispersion was reduced so I DID need more toe in.  

In the end, I have remvoed them for critical listening (keeps wife happy) and ended up with a 5 deg toe-in.

Jim, they keep sounding better and better!