Integra DTR-40.5 Help

Don_S

Integra DTR-40.5 Help
« on: 16 Dec 2018, 09:45 pm »
My Integra DTR-40.5 no longer passes an HDMI signal. I had several DVRs connected to it before it connected to my TV.  I have played with all the settings and cannot get it to pass the signal using any of the HDMI inputs.

Any similar experience?  Any thing I can check easily?  I have a multi-meter but no desire to do more damage to the Insignia or me.  :nono: :lol:

Doublej

Re: Integra DTR-40.5 Help
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:41 pm »
Yup I have a friend with the same unit. Sometimes on the cable input it won't display. I forget what message is shown on the screen when this happens.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:44 pm »
No cable here.  OTA only plus peripherals (DVDRs and BluRay) all HDMI output.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm »
Doesn't matter.

If all inputs are giving you a problem, there's a good chance the HDMI board has gone bad. You can try swapping the hdmi cable from the Integra to the display. If that doesn't work you can try doing a reset on the unit. If that doesn't work it's off the the repair shop or dumpster.

For a long period of time Onkyo which I believe included Integra was notorious for having bad HDMI boards. If you google it you should find a LOT of posts on this topic and some youtube videos that show you how to repair the bad caps on the board if so desired.

DaBoss

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2018, 11:39 pm »
Onkyo has a repair/rebate program for loss of sound/network connection that expires at the end of this month. Here is the link. It can be found on the Onkyo support page. You just need to enter your model an serial number.

https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

I am in the same boat, but my TX-NR5009 was purchased in 2012. At first I could get the receiver to work by by turning the unit on and off or unplugging it, but now it is unresponsive. I may have procrastinated too long as I have read on another forum that Onkyo may have run out of HDMI replacement boards.  I am not sure if it is model specific.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2018, 11:40 pm »
Thanks Doublej.

HDMI cable to the TV works fine with all sources using a separate, cheap HDMI switch from Amazon.   

I also tried unused outputs on the Integra.  None work.  I thought the unit was operating a little warm but I am not sure since I only paid attention once I had HDMI problems and was behind the unit swapping cables and positions.

I searched the internet at your recommendation. I can tell you misery most certainly does NOT love company.  :lol:  Apparently Onkyo is a 4-letter word.  :cuss:

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2018, 11:42 pm »
DaBoss,   Thanks for that information.  I will check it out right now to see if my unit is covered.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2018, 11:56 pm »
I entered my Serial number and selected the box "Loss of Video on HDMI Output".  BUZZER We are sorry, that answer is incorrect.  :duh:

Here is the message I received:

"Your unit is not exhibiting symptoms this program addresses. We appreciate the time you have taken to review this program. We assure you that should your unit begin experiencing loss of audio/network connection you can come back at anytime to check if your unit is covered under this program. If your unit is experiencing other issues, please contact customer support so we can help troubleshoot your unit.
Onkyo is committed to providing top tier support and service to our customers.

Thank you for your continued support,
Onkyo USA Corporation"

What would "loss of audio/network connection" be?   Input from antenna or cable box?

Here are the choices:

This program is for Onkyo USA customers who are currently experiencing the loss of audio or network capabilities on their receiver.

Please select the specific symptoms your unit is experiencing below:
Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel
Loss of sound experienced on all channels
Speaker indicator on display is not showing
Speaker indicator on display is on
"Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly
Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable)
Loss of video on HDMI output
Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure)

If your unit is not experiencing a loss of audio or network connection, you do not need to take these steps.
No action is required on your part at this time.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2018, 12:08 am »
From memory (it's been a couple of years), it looks like the same or similar symptoms my old Onkyo 1008 had.  They sent me a box and fixed it and they shipped it back (basically the day after they got it) and it was covered by their extended warranty for the problem.  I wouldn't give up.  I'd try again.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2018, 12:12 am »
It looks like the warranty program ended at the end of last year and all they offer now is a trade in program until the end of this year - https://globalsupport.onkyo.com/support/solutions/articles/6000122207-customer-care-program-for-loss-of-audio-network-connection-issue-

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2018, 12:23 am »
Thanks Phil.  That program was for a loss of audio/network.  Not related to HDMI. Seems like they should have had a similar program for HDMI but I did not find one.

DaBoss

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 01:14 am »
The issue I had on my TX-NR5009 was Loss of sound experienced on all channels. The speaker matrix that normally appears on the front panel would not appear at all or just partially. My issue was audio specific. The rebate program for my unit is only going to credit me 150 dollars towards another Onkyo. Researching online seems to indicate that the DTS chip was overheating  causing the solder contacts to separate. Youtube videos show how the repair shop fluxes up the chip and reheats it to reflow the solder balls underneath the chip. Hopefully they can repair my unit using that method, otherwise I have an expensive paperweight. Probably won't risk buying another Onkyo.