Some love for the Songcenter

musicgeek

Some love for the Songcenter
« on: 8 Jul 2022, 11:11 pm »
No questions, but I just wanted to share my first Salk opinion for this very well made but underappreciated speaker. I got one this week, used but in good shape as it fit in my budget. It's easily the best center speaker I've heard under a couple grand.

It replaced a huge X-Voce, but it's smaller only in physical footprint.  It is producing beautiful mid-range and clear dialogue with zero strain, and best of all is very neutral so it sounds perfectly in sync with my Continuum II 3-ways.

I was worried about MTM center lobing etc, but I think it's an overrated issue for most people. I barely hear an audible difference within a 30 degree sweet spot, so the design and the dispersion is very well executed. Of course it's a technical issue, but in all practical use of a center channel it's barely making a difference, so just wanted to quell that fear for anyone else considering this...

And of course the buildwork is gorgeous. I'm very glad to have it alongside the rest of my system and I think I'll be happy for a good few years, until I move to a much larger room.

Thanks Jim and team for making this, even though I didn't buy directly from you this time..

kingcrowing

Re: Some love for the Songcenter
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2022, 07:57 pm »
Fantastic to hear! After waiting quite some time, I've got a SuperCharged Songcenter shipping out this week! Can't wait to hear it... I've got a few things I've been waiting to watch so I can experience the new speakers   :)

WGH

Re: Some love for the Songcenter
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2022, 09:16 pm »
Fantastic to hear! After waiting quite some time, I've got a SuperCharged Songcenter shipping out this week! Can't wait to hear it... I've got a few things I've been waiting to watch so I can experience the new speakers   :)

You are going to love it! I have the big brother HT2C with the Seas W18. I think the magnesium cone driver with the RAAL is the perfect center speaker combination because both are super fast and clear. Dialog is always easy to understand and never harsh or piercing, from the whispers in the latest Dune to Alexander Skarsgård's primal screams in The Northman.