Denon AVR-X6700H Experience.

Theronbo

Denon AVR-X6700H Experience.
« on: 21 Apr 2022, 04:45 am »
Just installed a new Denon HT receiver…

Going to return it. $3500 includes tax.

Works well, except; randomly has a hiccup. Pauses for a second… lose video to TV… then maybe starts right up… or goes into pause.

Sources:
Apple TV 4K latest
Xbox series X

Hiccups can occur 3 times in 5 minutes… or not for an hour.

Watching Dune 4k on Xbox it occurred a couple of times… & would skip ahead a couple of minutes.

I attempted some simple debugging.

Different outlets. Different UPS’

For a device this expensive… should just work.

Upgraded from a Marantz SR5014 (7 channel) added 4 overhead speakers so wanted 11 channel device.

Wanted to go to a preamp with amp separates. But the cost of the preamps was the Denon with amps.

Have a Krell for front speakers.

Anyway return window closes on April 28th.  Messed with Harman Kardon warranty repair b4… screw that.

Quite time consuming to get everything setup & then configured… frustrating.

WGH

Re: Denon AVR-X6700H Experience.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:20 am »
That sucks. I looked at all the options when my old processor died. Every single brand I researched had both good and bad reviews except one - Anthem

I am very happy with my Anthem AVM 60 processor. No glitches and the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) does a great job with my 7.1.4 setup.

I saw an Anthem MRX 1120 Performance Collection 11.2 Channel A/V Receiver (last years model) for $2899.99. Site says new.
Don't know anything about Safe & Sound. Make sure the microphone, stand, cable is included in the retail package.
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/anthem-mrx-1120-performance-collection-11-2-channel-a-v-receiver?currency=USD&variant=19451195228214&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping

Otherwise I would go for the Anthem MRX 1140 and never look back. Your ears will thank you.
Looks like it's in stock.
https://www.audioadvice.com/anthem-mrx1140-15-2-pre-amplifier-11-amplified-channels?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v6SBhCsARIsACyrRAmDx4n-4OQtTaxE2ymoyhIgKVQnRYp9UE-vcbZ1Nmnxv68LjEHPa2MaAtBKEALw_wcB

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:34 am »
Anthem AVM60 11.2 Channel Home Theater Processor; AVM-60; ARC1M; 4K60; Black
$1,959.22

The Music Room (TRM) - I have bought from them many times, probably the best used electronics seller. Super fast shipping and bullet proof triple boxed packaging
What is Included: Processor, Remote, ARC1M Room Correction System (Tripod,CAT5 Cable, USB Cable, USB Microphone), Two WiFi antennas, Power Cable, Factory Packaging
RCA and XLR outputs

Functional Notes: Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found.

https://tmraudio.com/components/home-theater/anthem-avm60-11-2-channel-home-theater-processor-avm-60-arc1m-4k60-black/

Theronbo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:37 am »
Wow WGH…

That Anthem MRX 1140 looks sweet!

Only problem? I might be tempted to add more channels…. Nope, nah, no way!

Appreciate the reply… 

Doesn’t come with HDMI 2.2 out off the box… but, don’t have 8k devices anyway.

Describe the amps as being ‘better’ but don’t describe what they are…  33lbs…

Okay, the AvM 60 at half the price… can’t be ignored…

My Krell is 70lbs for 2 channels.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:54 am »
Decisions, decisions

I kept stacking up amps:
The AVA Vision SET 400 (silver faceplate) for the 2 front speakers and stereo (225w/channel)
Used AVA Insight 3-channel amp for center speaker and surrounds (120w/channel)
Used Adcom 5-channel amp for Atmos (60w/channel, only 4 used)
Used Adcom stereo amp from my closet (125w/channel) for rear speakers

Anthem AVM60 - processor only, no amp

My AVM60 and the amp stack. TV is the beautiful 60" Panasonic plasma.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:09 pm »
Unfortunately the new Anthems are still pretty much unobtanium. I have an MRX-720 with external 4ch Hypex amp for 5.1.4, but would rather have one with 9 amp channels in one. MRX-1140 would work, as would an MRX-1120 for about half the price. Wish I could just trade up. I've also looked at the newer Denons, but know little about them, maybe even Integra D5.4?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:33 pm »
Unfortunately the new Anthems are still pretty much unobtanium.

That is what I thought. The MRX1140 at Audio Advice (link above) seemed to be in stock. Last night I clicked and put one in my cart (then removed it later) and I didn't see anything about out of stock.
It could be they would send an email after they charge your card to inform about a shipping delay. If they jerk you around then cancel and reserve one at Crutchfield at no risk, that is who I bought my AVM60 from.

I never bought from Audio Advice so as always, buyer beware.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2022, 06:08 pm »
That is what I thought. The MRX1140 at Audio Advice (link above) seemed to be in stock. Last night I clicked and put one in my cart (then removed it later) and I didn't see anything about out of stock.
It could be they would send an email after they charge your card to inform about a shipping delay. If they jerk you around then cancel and reserve one at Crutchfield at no risk, that is who I bought my AVM60 from.

I never bought from Audio Advice so as always, buyer beware.
Doesn't show in stock for me, been checking for a while.

"Get it first with Audio Advice! Order now for delivery in Summer"

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2022, 11:34 pm »
Doesn't show in stock for me, been checking for a while.

"Get it first with Audio Advice! Order now for delivery in Summer"

The lucky person who saw my post at 10:20pm last night probably bought the last one. The perfect example of "you snooze, you loose".

Road trip! Upscale audio has low stock - in store only MXR1140
https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/anthem/products/anthem-mrx-1140-home-theater-receiver

Upscale Audio
2058 Wright Avenue
La Verne, California 91750

MRX1140 - In Stock - Stereo East, Frisco TX
https://www.stereoeast.com/product/anthem-mrx-1140-performance-152-channel-a-v-receiver-mrx-1140-661591

Theronbo

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2022, 10:35 pm »
Returned the X6700H to best buy… took a X4700H as replacement… … probably should have done the Marantz SR7015.

They’re all made by Harmon Karden & manuals are identical.

The Anthem looks really interesting… I attempted to contact every dealer for 50 miles around, no one called or returned email.

This unit has the same issue… hiccups.

Beginning to believe it’s the HDMI cable to the TV.

I have a few HDMI cables… all claiming to be 2.X compliant…

Anyway x4700 has 11 channel processing… but only 9 amps.  But $1,500 less. You can get some sweet amps for $750 a channel.

I have a Dayton I’ll use for now. It powers the height middle speakers.

I’ve not built the speakers yet… using Polk out door speakers for now… just to get the system tested…

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2022, 11:34 pm »
I thought the Denon and Marantz units were made by Sound United.

If anyone wants a used Anthem MRX720, here's one.

https://www.qaudio.com/products/anthem-mrx720-721

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2022, 01:09 am »
Monoprice is my go-to place for cables, the $10 slim cables are real easy to work with.
https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables

I need a 40' HDMI cable, the active HDMI from Monoprice works perfectly streaming 2160p@60Hz hi-res ripped blu-ray with either Dolby Atmos or DTS-HD Master Audio from a computer without a hiccup. Not all computers will do this. I built my office tower computer to double as a media server.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12736

But when the old no-name 2 meter HDMI cable from the processor to TV came apart at the plug just before movie night I had no choice but to go to my neighborhood Ace Hardware and spend $30 for a Monster, that hurt because I knew I was being ripped off. The Monster Cable thin cable design is a lot easier to fish thru a wall than the old fat HDMI cable with ferrite it replaced and works perfectly (as it should for $30).

Bingenito

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm »
Had a Denon 4700-H... was not bad for movies however the Anthem products (any of them) are *far superior in my "opinion". Having owned a Denon AVR 3801 and 3805 in years past it does seem like the margins are better for Sound United (parent company) and the products are not what they once where for us consumers.

Circa 2000-2010ish Denon or Marantz were easy recommendations. Today I would pick Anthem hands down and never look back. Even a pre-owned once without all of the latest greatest processing since it is all BS anyway unless you have a massive dedicated HT room. Again just my POV but I never had any desire to use more than 5 speakers and 2 subs.

* Qualifying my far superior comment: Improved parts quality, better user interface, room correction (if you like or need it) is light years better and not like a freakin Atari 2600 user interface of the latest Denons. You get an actual RTA mic not a $5 mic to measure. The resulting sound is better as a result. Not at the level of a dedicated 2 channel rig but if you are a big movie person and prioritize movies equal or higher than music, Anthem finds the sweet spot of an enjoyable music experience that even a 2 channel person can appreciate (Think 7 out of 10), where Denon and all of the Sound United brands to me sound more like a 4 or 5 out of 10 on music. Midrange glare, very flat in soundstage, imaging is so so.

Not bashing anyone's favorite AVR... Just saying if I had the choice of returning a Denon and getting into any Anthem product instead even older deprecated models for a great $ deal... I would.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2022, 12:46 pm »
Returned the X6700H to best buy… took a X4700H as replacement… … probably should have done the Marantz SR7015.

They’re all made by Harmon Karden & manuals are identical.

The Anthem looks really interesting… I attempted to contact every dealer for 50 miles around, no one called or returned email.

This unit has the same issue… hiccups.

Beginning to believe it’s the HDMI cable to the TV.

I have a few HDMI cables… all claiming to be 2.X compliant…

Anyway x4700 has 11 channel processing… but only 9 amps.  But $1,500 less. You can get some sweet amps for $750 a channel.

I have a Dayton I’ll use for now. It powers the height middle speakers.

I’ve not built the speakers yet… using Polk out door speakers for now… just to get the system tested…

The x6700h (not sure about the x4700h) has the ability to test your HDMI cables.  Here is a link that provides more info...

https://www.techdc.com/testing-hdmi-cables

In addition, I have found that HDMI issues are wide spread throughout the AVR world.  It doesn't matter which brand you acquire.  Whether it be a $4000 and up receiver or a $750 receiver.  Just read some of the user threads for these receivers on AVS Forum. While Anthem is a great brand to go with, there are many folks very disappointed with all of the bugs that have cropped up on their AVM 70 processor (unlike the AVM 60 which is IMO a stellar performing unit).  They feel like Anthem made them "beta testers" for a pretty expensive processor.

The problem lies in all of the different pieces and parts we use in AV land such as Apple TV, Shield, roku, PC based, Amazon fire TV/stick, etc. and the handshake issues that inevitably can arise.