4k player - Oppo replacement

nocrapman

4k player - Oppo replacement
« on: 16 Dec 2021, 09:20 pm »
Is this the only decent option - Panasonic DP-UB9000 ?
Costs about 1K. In the absence of Oppo is this the only game in town?

SlushPuppy

Re: 4k player - Oppo replacement
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2021, 09:35 pm »
I think the Reavon UBR-X100 and UBR-X200 players from France are a good option. Reviews are just starting to trickle out.

Here's a fairly recent one:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/reavon-ubr-x100-and-ubr-x200-ultra-hd-blu-ray-players-review

Gunny

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2021, 11:28 pm »
Which Oppo are you replacing?  I sold my 203 and purchased the Panny UB820 about a year ago.  Unless you need the superior audio features or tone mapping modes included in the 9000 I see no reason to pay 1K for it.  The 820 lacks the build quality of Oppo but is otherwise at least on par with the 203 and half the price of the 9000.

nocrapman

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2021, 11:43 pm »
Actually replacing the Oppo 103 BD player. previous gen with no 4K.
Music is streamed through a PS audio DAC off roon, so no audio capabilities are needed at all.
So the cheaper Panny is a good option?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2021, 11:56 pm »
I have a Panasonic 9000 in my main UHD system. Had an Oppo 203 before that and unless one needs the physical disc formats the Oppo does (e.g. SACD, DVD-A), the Panasonic is better in every way. I moved the Oppo 203 to a spare room where I had my old UHD TV and then sold the 203. For what I sold it for, I bought two Panasonic 820s, one for that spare room and one for the main system (have a music server and DAC and won’t ever use the Panasonic for audio - had an Oppo 103D in there which I moved to another spare system).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2021, 12:27 am »
I have a Panasonic 9000 in my main UHD system. Had an Oppo 203 before that and unless one needs the physical disc formats the Oppo does (e.g. SACD, DVD-A), the Panasonic is better in every way. I moved the Oppo 203 to a spare room where I had my old UHD TV and then sold the 203. For what I sold it for, I bought two Panasonic 820s, one for that spare room and one for the main system (have a music server and DAC and won’t ever use the Panasonic for audio - had an Oppo 103D in there which I moved to another spare system).

So Phil, is the picture better with the panny than the oppo?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2021, 12:42 am »
The picture is easily better as well as audio via CD or network in the 9000 vs. the 203.  I paid $399.99 for each of my Panasonic 820s (new).  When I saw the sale price on the 820, I bought one for the main system (which will just get used for video and as previously noted the build quality isn't nearly as good as the 9000 and it doesn't have the same DACs either).  Then I decided to sell the Opp0 203 (which is in my bonus room and essentially a guest bedroom with my old 55 inch UHD TV) and picked up another 820 for the same price new.  I listened to the audio a drop in the bonus room (I have GR Research N3 speakers) and found it decent.  Didn't compare it to the 203. 

In the UHD system I had the 203 at the time I had a (Sherbourn) preamp with HT Bypass and a Mivera SE IcePower amp driving B&W P6 speakers.  I've since made that system HT only with an Onkyo 9 channel receiver (with front and rear Atmos speakers) and moved the preamp and sold the amp.  I was quite impressed with the 9000.  I listened to CD a drop but more network files.  It will play up to quad DSD.  Definitely was better audio wise vs. the Oppo 203. It also (as well as the 820) has an interesting features that allows one to change the sound to six differeent (digital) tube sound settings.  It is just labeled as one through six.  I actually have different settings for the 9000 vs. the 820 I have upstairs after listening.  I've not bothered with the 820 in the main system as I'll never use it for audio.

nocrapman

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:08 am »
So I guess the big question for me is - is the 9000 any better for video only purposes? Should I pocket the $500 price difference and get the 820?

nocrapman

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:11 am »
Sony is another game in this town. LG too, perhaps Samsung.

nocrapman

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:23 am »
Samsung left the game along with Oppo.
Oppo foresaw the shift to streaming and more lucrative markets to converge on. They are big in asia for smart phones.

Gunny

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:44 am »
So I guess the big question for me is - is the 9000 any better for video only purposes? Should I pocket the $500 price difference and get the 820?
Absolutely.  If you're not interested in the upgraded DAC or tone mapping modes save that $500.00 and go for the 820.  It's a great upgrade from the Oppo 103.

Rosswell105

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2022, 06:50 pm »
The video quality of Pana 820 is better than Oppo 205. I don’t think the small difference between 9000 and 820 can justify the difference in price unless you have a screen larger than 120 inches.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:26 pm »
Guys,

I am updating my HT for the first time in 8 + years and I am trying to spend wisely.  :green:

To watch movies I have been using JRiver on an HTPC + NAS. 

I need to update my HTPCs as they are old insufficient to play UHD material.

So I think I have two options:

Option 1:  Get a new HTPC, connect it to my Denon AVR-3700 and NAS
Option 2:  Get either a Panny 820 or 9000 and connect it to my Denon AVR-3700 and NAS

Is this correct?

If so, it sounds like the much cheaper option is to go the Panny 820 way...

Thoughts?

Regards,

George

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:45 pm »
Guys,

I am updating my HT for the first time in 8 + years and I am trying to spend wisely.  :green:

To watch movies I have been using JRiver on an HTPC + NAS. 

I need to update my HTPCs as they are old insufficient to play UHD material.

So I think I have two options:

Option 1:  Get a new HTPC, connect it to my Denon AVR-3700 and NAS
Option 2:  Get either a Panny 820 or 9000 and connect it to my Denon AVR-3700 and NAS

Is this correct?

If so, it sounds like the much cheaper option is to go the Panny 820 way...

Thoughts?

Regards,

George

Geroge - think the 820 should be fine.  There are just a couple of more video settings on the 9000.  The big difference between the two Panasonic units is build quality and audio.  There will be differences of course in the power supplies used.  Here's a comparison which pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rwMAYe9M4

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:49 pm »
Geroge - think the 820 should be fine.  There are just a couple of more video settings on the 9000.  The big difference between the two Panasonic units is build quality and audio.  There will be differences of course in the power supplies used.  Here's a comparison which pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rwMAYe9M4

Thanks Phil...will watch that over the weekend.

So either Panny model will play my movies from the NAS just like my old Oppo did - right?  Also, will it provide all of the newer formats (including Dolby Atmos)?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:55 pm »
Phil,

Just saw this:

For file-based video playback, the UB9000 only supports lossy audio codecs such as DTS and Dolby Digital. So, unless Panasonic addresses this via firmware, any video file that has a lossless DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio track cannot be played back with audio. Please note, this is not an issue with Blu-ray discs, only video files played back locally via USB or through your home network.

This would definitely be a deal breaker and push me back to the HTPC option.

George

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2022, 07:01 pm »
Thanks Phil...will watch that over the weekend.

So either Panny model will play my movies from the NAS just like my old Oppo did - right?  Also, will it provide all of the newer formats (including Dolby Atmos)?

George

I haven't played movies from my NAS but have played audio files (and it will do up to quad DSD).  The manual (page 43) gives formats supported in a table format (and doesn't copy as neatly).  The manual is here - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/oi/ub820/index.html

"Supported format for Network Media Playback Container Video codec Audio codec Example of file extension MKV H.264 HEVC AAC PCM Vorbis FLAC .mkv AVCHD H.264 Dolby Digital .mts MP4 H.264 HEVC AAC .mp4, .mov PS MPEG2 Dolby Digital Linear PCM .mpg, .mpeg TS MPEG2 H.264 HEVC AAC Dolby Digital .m2ts, .ts"

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2022, 07:07 pm »
I'm not familiar with these or what they do but have seen some positive comments.  Have not looked at the capabilities - https://www.reavon.us.com/