Dennis Murphy Pioneer SP-BS22-LR DIY Modifications

JLG440

Re: Dennis Murphy Pioneer SP-BS22-LR DIY Modifications
« Reply #40 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:53 am »
Sorry  my comment was toward pinkfloy4ever post  not steveturner.

lasgoofus

« Reply #41 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:43 am »
ummm pardon my ignorance here ..but does the red+ jumper wire and the in+ connect at the original spot on the stock board ?

lasgoofus

« Reply #42 on: 6 Apr 2015, 11:54 pm »
So nobody out there has any advice? i just don't want to short My amplifier.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #43 on: 8 Apr 2015, 06:29 am »
ummm pardon my ignorance here ..but does the red+ jumper wire and the in+ connect at the original spot on the stock board ?

There is no red+ jumper wire.  As shown in the schematic and described in the text, that is the original lead that connects directly to the + input terminal on the speaker cup.  It does not connect to the original crossover PCB at any location.  It connects directly from the + input terminal on the speaker cup to location D3,29 on the Radio Shack perf board, as shown in Table 4.

As shown in Photos 6 and 7, there is no wire connected to the IN+ via on the original crossover PCB.  Here is the text that accompanies those photos:

"You will also need to remove the IN+ lead (red wire) from the PCB and pull it apart from the IN- lead. Set it aside for reuse.

At this point, the only items remaining attached to the original crossover PCB are L1, R1 the W+/W- leads and the IN- lead.
"

Just so you are 100% clear on where that wire attaches, I opened up one of my speakers and took a photo:

So nobody out there has any advice? i just don't want to short My amplifier.

Please do not blame anyone else if you damage your gear.  The warnings were made very clear at the beginning of the article that if you are uncomfortable doing this DIY you should not attempt it.  At this point, I'd strongly recommend you have someone qualified review your work before connecting the modified speakers to an amp and applying power.  It should have been very clear to you, from the schematic, where this lead is connected.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2017, 07:47 am by MCM_Fan »

lasgoofus

« Reply #44 on: 8 Apr 2015, 06:23 pm »
Thanks ... yeah wasn't sure if a jumper was needed ..I tested it and its working...thanks :wink:

MCM_Fan

« Reply #45 on: 8 Apr 2015, 06:39 pm »
Thanks ... yeah wasn't sure if a jumper was needed ..I tested it and its working...thanks :wink:

You're welcome.  I hope you enjoy them.  I had mine out of the rotation for a couple months, in favor of a pair of Klipsch KG4s I picked up at Goodwill for $24.99, but I missed the little Pioneers.  I swapped them back into my main system about a week ago and am loving listening to them once again.  They are amazing little speakers, especially with these modifications.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #46 on: 8 May 2015, 07:52 pm »
Here's my experience. I started out with a pair stock BS22's. They sounded ok and I listened to them quite a bit while the Vifa tweeters and cap were on the way.  I made the DIY mods and there was quite a difference. About two weeks ago I ordered a pair of Dennis's modded BS22s. WOW! I'm set for speakers for quite a while. At the price Dennis is selling it's a no brainer. The signal chain is pretty important of course, as is room treatment. I'm using AVA (a few generations old) eqpt with my desktop computer as the source, and so far only with mp3s. I'm getting ready to fire up some flacs.

If your looking for some inexpensive speakers that 'punch way above their weight class', these are the ones.

Thanks, Dennis!

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #47 on: 9 May 2015, 03:42 am »
About two weeks ago I ordered a pair of Dennis's modded BS22s. WOW! I'm set for speakers for quite a while. At the price Dennis is selling it's a no brainer.
If your looking for some inexpensive speakers that 'punch way above their weight class', these are the ones.

Continue to enjoy the adventure - they are really nice.

caleb.oaks

« Reply #48 on: 10 Dec 2021, 06:49 pm »
Hi All, hoping someone can weigh in on a couple of questions:
I have a 5.1.2 full set of these speakers (recently ditched the sub for an SVS PB-12 NSD) and am using the BS22s as surrounds with a C22 up front and FS52s as my LR. I recently replaced the crossover components (same values) and added the Vifa tweeter to the C22 along with a 3.9uF and 2r before the positive terminal on the Vifa as suggested in other threads. After all that, I'm finding that the new tweeter is a bit muffled to my ears, which is obviously disappointing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I like tinkering and so decided that even though they're my surrounds I wanted to do the upgrade described in this thread to my BS22s. My question is this: Given the fact that I have a great sub, would I be better off using the upgraded BS22s as my LR and getting new surrounds (hopefully I could find another set of BS22s). Will the upgraded BS22s outperform the FS52s despite their size and extra woofers since I have a dedicated, powerful sub? It's hard to imagine that being the case, and I'm somewhat attached to the way the towers look, but of course I'd rather have the best sound possible.

smata67

« Reply #49 on: 18 Sep 2022, 11:44 pm »
The reason that the C22 may not sound good is that the mod with the 3.9uF/2.2ohm parts is designed as a mod to the original crossover and tweeter.  Go ahead and swap out the vifa for the original tweeter and see what you think.

Since you have the vifa tweeter, I personally would opt for the Dennis redesigned crossover for the C22.  Again, note the vifa tweeter should be the 4 ohm version.

A good rule of thumb in audio is that if it is associated with Dennis Murphy, whether it be a mod or one of his designs, the end result is always satisfying.  If you end up with a speaker that is quite not that great, then your ears have basically determined that YOU have made some kind of error in assembly and you need to go back and check your work   :wink:.