What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #1300 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:35 pm »

John Coltrane:  The Major Works of John Coltrane   

disc 1, for the free formers

ArthurDent

« Reply #1301 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:29 pm »

John Coltrane:  Blue Train  

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1302 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:53 pm »
Hustlin [Original recording reissued, Original recording remastered]
Stanley Turrentine | Format: Audio CD

ArthurDent

« Reply #1303 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm »

John Abercrombie:  Timeless   

ArthurDent

« Reply #1304 on: 6 Oct 2011, 10:51 am »

John Abercrombie:  Animato     

etcarroll

« Reply #1305 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm »
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
Duke Ellington (Artist), John Coltrane (Artist) | Format: Vinyl

sample
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000003N7R/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

etcarroll

« Reply #1306 on: 7 Oct 2011, 01:08 am »
A Night in Tunisia
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers | Format: Audio CD

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1307 on: 7 Oct 2011, 07:16 am »
Paul Bley- Open To Love, ECM, a very early one.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1308 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:19 pm »

John Abercrombie:  While We're Young   

etcarroll

« Reply #1309 on: 7 Oct 2011, 02:47 pm »
Rough N Tumble
Stanley Turrentine | Format: vinyl

Deep groove BN release that improved in SQ greatly once I steamed it.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1310 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:44 pm »

John Abercrombie:  November   

ArthurDent

« Reply #1311 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:05 pm »

jjc1

« Reply #1312 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:25 pm »
Arthur, have you heard "Structures", John Abercrombie,Eddie Gomez, Gene Jackson. I see you are a big John Abercrombie fan.
  Our Jazz interests seem to run along the same lines. "Standards" by Coltrane is not bad. A few years back I bought a 180 gram pressing of "A Love Supreme" and listened once or twice. I can't seem to get into that part of Coltrane.
  From your posts, I see that you're into the same type of jazz as I, Milt Jackson, Keith Jarret, MJQ, Jazz Messengers, Bill Evans, Miles, Desmond and Brubeck.  Some younger guys are pretty good at continuing the tradition like Dave Hazeltine, Bill Charlap....I've been listening and digging this stuff since the early late 50's, early 60's. Can't seem to get enough. I just hope this music continues for the next generations.
   I look forward to seeing your posts in the future.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1313 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:41 pm »

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express:  Straight Ahead  

ArthurDent

« Reply #1314 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:28 pm »
Arthur, have you heard "Structures", John Abercrombie,Eddie Gomez, Gene Jackson. I see you are a big John Abercrombie fan.

Hey jjc1 - No, Structures is one I haven't heard as yet. I've got probably 90% of his primary work, though he's done so much with other folks there's still a lot I haven't heard. I still have a number of my LPs of his from the 70s. Restoring the TT to the system is slowly working it's way up the 'to do' list. While aware of jazz from early school days I didn't really begin to acquire and listen till the late 60s. While I 'understand' for lack of a better term the free form work, I'm primarily a classical based jazz fan.

The evolution of the art by folks/groups like Miles, Weather Report, Brian Auger, and a boatload of early ECM folks (Abercrombie, Rypdal, Weber, & Towner in particular) also caught my ear. Though I can't really remember how I became aware of ECM. I also enjoy a fair bit of the CTI works, though many of those were overly produced imo. It's such a vast field, with so many styles within it's boundaries it's hard to understand if folks can't find an artist that speaks to them. Of course the classic Blue Note, Prestige, and other early production houses did a pretty admirable job of promoting the work. I would think there are enough of the younger players who acknowledge the roots of the music to keep the classical form alive.

Artists like Armstrong, Hampton, Peterson, Horton, those you mentioned and so many other are simply timeless in the music they offer. While not a requisite in any sense I think it helps to have some musical experience to 'get' jazz. Jr Hi band clarinet/bass clarinet was my brief exposure. But it gave me an appreciation for the interaction and variations that make a lot of jazz what it is. Anyway, enough rambling for now. Glad you enjoy the posts, I'm generally working when I post, the 300 disc changer comes in handy, and the music helps keep the blood pressure down. While I can't say I've heard Hazeltine or Charlap, I think I have heard of Hazeltine somewhere. I'll check into their offerings, Thanks for the tip. Always open to new music, simply a matter of $.   8)

Oh yes, after cueing the The Major Works of Coltrane, disc 1, I remembered why it had set on the rack for so long. Not my cup of tea.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1315 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:30 pm »

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express:  Second Wind    

jjc1

« Reply #1316 on: 8 Oct 2011, 06:41 pm »
Hey jjc1 - No, Structures is one I haven't heard as yet. I've got probably 90% of his primary work, though he's done so much with other folks there's still a lot I haven't heard. I still have a number of my LPs of his from the 70s. Restoring the TT to the system is slowly working it's way up the 'to do' list. While aware of jazz from early school days I didn't really begin to acquire and listen till the late 60s. While I 'understand' for lack of a better term the free form work, I'm primarily a classical based jazz fan.

The evolution of the art by folks/groups like Miles, Weather Report, Brian Auger, and a boatload of early ECM folks (Abercrombie, Rypdal, Weber, & Towner in particular) also caught my ear. Though I can't really remember how I became aware of ECM. I also enjoy a fair bit of the CTI works, though many of those were overly produced imo. It's such a vast field, with so many styles within it's boundaries it's hard to understand if folks can't find an artist that speaks to them. Of course the classic Blue Note, Prestige, and other early production houses did a pretty admirable job of promoting the work. I would think there are enough of the younger players who acknowledge the roots of the music to keep the classical form alive.

Artists like Armstrong, Hampton, Peterson, Horton, those you mentioned and so many other are simply timeless in the music they offer. While not a requisite in any sense I think it helps to have some musical experience to 'get' jazz. Jr Hi band clarinet/bass clarinet was my brief exposure. But it gave me an appreciation for the interaction and variations that make a lot of jazz what it is. Anyway, enough rambling for now. Glad you enjoy the posts,
I'm generally working when I post, the 300 disc changer comes in handy, and the music helps keep the blood pressure down. While I can't say I've heard Hazeltine or Charlap, I think I have heard of Hazeltine somewhere. I'll check into their offerings
, Thanks for the tip. Always open to new music, simply a matter of $.   8)

Oh yes, after cueing the The Major Works of Coltrane, disc 1, I remembered why it had set on the rack for so long. Not my cup of tea.
Arthur, be sure to check out Charlap and Hazeltine if you are a fan of Bill Evans. Very similar music but not boringly so. A lot of standards and such.
  Now I know why you post so often ( you listen while working). Thought you were retired. Unfortunately I'm a bond trader and can't listen while working. Wish I could...it would go a long way to keeping the blood pressure down.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1317 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:19 pm »

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express:  Looking In The Eye of The World  

jjc1 - one of few 'advantages' to self employment, and working out of the house. Of course another is working weekends & long hours when the schedule calls for it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1318 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:29 pm »
Arthur, you ARE a Brian Auger fan.  Me, too.  The few albums I have of his have Julie Driscoll-Tippetts on them.

ArthurDent

« Reply #1319 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:37 pm »
Arthur, you ARE a Brian Auger fan.  Me, too.  The few albums I have of his have Julie Driscoll-Tippetts on them.

Yes jimd, that's a fact. I started with him back in the Trinity days, and just carried on thru. Streetnoise w/Julie is one of my favorites. Killer cut of Season of the Witch. I also noted recently looking at some King Crimson pics from the 40th Anniv releases there is an uncanny facial resemblence between Brian & Keith Tippets. At least seems so to me. If you don't have the Live At The Baked Potato combo pack it's worth the investment. Both CD & DVD of the show. I think it was zeke who recommended as a fellow fan.   :thumb: