BCD-1

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
BCD-1
« on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:03 pm »
  Last evening our club was privledged to hear this fine unit. After a while we decided to change out the powercord. We installed a Triode Labs powercord and to our surprise everything just got better.
  I could use all the audiophile jargon and prose describing our findings but until its tried in your system well you know.
  Anyways we were very impressed to say the least with the synergy. Really worth an audition in our opinion. Hard to improve on such a fine design as the BCD-1 but it did in spades.

charles

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:22 pm »
  Last evening our club was privledged to hear this fine unit. After a while we decided to change out the powercord. We installed a Triode Labs powercord and to our surprise everything just got better.
  I could use all the audiophile jargon and prose describing our findings but until its tried in your system well you know.
  Anyways we were very impressed to say the least with the synergy. Really worth an audition in our opinion. Hard to improve on such a fine design as the BCD-1 but it did in spades.

charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the feedback - coming from your group that is quite a compliment ideed :thumb:

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2011, 08:15 pm »
  Likewise with my Vishnu. :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:38 pm »
James,

the newer BCD-1 players have a smoother slide-in of the tray. can this be done afterwards with the 'older' players (software????).

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:46 pm »
James,

the newer BCD-1 players have a smoother slide-in of the tray. can this be done afterwards with the 'older' players (software????).

al.

Hi Al,

There have been no changes in the trays.

james

alexone

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:32 am »
Hi Al,

There have been no changes in the trays.

james

James,

according to this comment below i thought the trays could be adjusted??

al.

James - has the drive or something else been changed in recent BCD-1s?  I stopped by the local deal (to hear Maggie 1.7s) and my friend who was helping the owner out point out how non-clunky the BCD-1 drive was.  I sold mine about a year back and got the BDA-1 and it definitely was less clunky than mine opening and closing.

Same drive just we fine tune it before it goes out.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:56 am »
Hi Al,

Yes we do that with all of them and always have.  There may be some small variance from drive to drive.

james

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:37 pm »
    The transport worked fine for us. Really could not find any fault with the unit. If I had to nitpick it would be the lack of an invert polarity switch. Thats it !
    When you have 25 guys do the "E.F .Hutton" thing, of stoping in their place and listen you know somethings done right.
    The track that did that was a cut from Michel Camilio Live at the Bluenote track 5 disc [1] "Tequila" The wood clavis and cymbals were presented with brilliance, body and weight.. A rare thing in audio. Usually one or the other. the piano was rendered without strain or BRIGHTNESS. The ambiance of the live event as well as the applause was spot on as well.
   Looking forward to hearing more of the Byston line. Yes James we are a tough room. :lol:

charles

mkaiser

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:25 pm »

rollo / James,
The BCD1 is quite special. The way it renders studio and live recordings is nothing short of extraordinary. I found it does everything "right".
Three months ago i purchased a Ayre C5-XEMP and traded in the BCD1 to offset the inflated price of the Ayre. I kept the Ayre but i felt i was missing something when i was listening to the music but, couldn't quite place it. Well, two weeks ago i bought back the BCD1 and did a A/B with both units and now have the Ayre up for sale.
The Bryston certainly had a more dynamic, live, "you are there feel" that brought out everything in the recording. The Ayre was no slouch and also did everything very well but, it didn't get me as involved quite like the BCD1 did. And that was what i realized i was missing over those months.

So, i concur with you and your clubs findings.  8)

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:33 pm »
    The transport worked fine for us. Really could not find any fault with the unit. If I had to nitpick it would be the lack of an invert polarity switch. Thats it !
    When you have 25 guys do the "E.F .Hutton" thing, of stoping in their place and listen you know somethings done right.
    The track that did that was a cut from Michel Camilio Live at the Bluenote track 5 disc [1] "Tequila" The wood clavis and cymbals were presented with brilliance, body and weight.. A rare thing in audio. Usually one or the other. the piano was rendered without strain or BRIGHTNESS. The ambiance of the live event as well as the applause was spot on as well.
   Looking forward to hearing more of the Byston line. Yes James we are a tough room. :lol:

charles

Hi Charles

Our BP26 preamplifier has a phase inversion feature available on the front panel or remotely from the BR2 remote that comes with the CD player :thumb:

James

alexone

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:27 pm »
...talking about the sound of the BCD-1 it is an outstanding piece of equipment! and Mark, i find it remarkable that you bought back the Bryston disc spinner. this is another story about the quality of Bryston products. cool!

al.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:37 pm »

charles

Hi

Charles, if you like the bcd you gotta try the bdp/bda. It betters the bcd on  everything that makes the bcd great. Its like a bcd big brother. It has the same source intensity drive but smoothed out. I like the bcd too  but not much interested in cd's anymore.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2011, 10:57 am »
Sent: May-17-11 9:56 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject:

Hey James its Ray just bought the BCD-1.

This is a fantastic player. Incredible sound.

I was missing so much in my music until this player showed up. I have it hooked to the BP-25 and a 14B SST what a great setup. The separation in the music is unreal. Thanks for all the work you guys do over there at Bryston.

Thanks again for the amazing player.

Ray

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2011, 04:09 pm »
Sent: Sat 5/21/2011 9:31 AM
To: Bryston
Subject: Bryston BCD-1 CD player - fantastic!

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am based in the UK, and I have just bought a Bryston CD player.   

It is absolutely fabulous!   I went to audition a different player, and my HiFi dealer suggested that I also listen to your product.   I was very impressed and decided very quickly that I loved it!   This surprised me, as I had expected to prefer the other, British, player, which costs quite a bit more, and has had fantastic reviews. 

It just shows......listen to your ears.

Many thanks for creating this excellent CD player.

Howard Ross-Parker.
UK

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2011, 06:04 pm »
 :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2011, 06:46 pm »
Great to hear. I will be getting mine this week hopefully......cheers.. : :singing: