BCD-1 + Alan Parsons "soundcheck" CD (MOFI) issue

Sco77

BCD-1 + Alan Parsons "soundcheck" CD (MOFI) issue
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:58 am »
I just got a used BCD-1 and I was tweaking my system.  I put in Alan Parsons MOFI Soundcheck CD and only got to about track 38 before the BCD-1 went into "data" mode on the display.  I was not able to play any tracks past 38 as "audio".  Is there some magic thing I need to do to the BCD-1 to get it to play these tracks as audio??  I didn't see anything in the owner's manual to give me a clue.  BTW, the Parsons CD works just fine in my Sony SACD changer.  Have not had a problem with any other CD.  Any ideas?????

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1 + Alan Parsons "soundcheck" CD (MOFI) issue
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:59 am »
I just got a used BCD-1 and I was tweaking my system.  I put in Alan Parsons MOFI Soundcheck CD and only got to about track 38 before the BCD-1 went into "data" mode on the display.  I was not able to play any tracks past 38 as "audio".  Is there some magic thing I need to do to the BCD-1 to get it to play these tracks as audio??  I didn't see anything in the owner's manual to give me a clue.  BTW, the Parsons CD works just fine in my Sony SACD changer.  Have not had a problem with any other CD.  Any ideas?????

Hi Sco77

The Redbook drive in the CD Player is limited to 38 cuts per disc. It may vary a little depending on the specific CD.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2010, 11:59 am by James Tanner »

Sco77

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:28 pm »
James,

Thanks for the reply. 

Bummer about the limit re: the Parsons disc.  I guess I'll have to keep a second CD/SACD/DVD unit around just for that disc.

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:31 pm »
James,

Thanks for the reply. 

Bummer about the limit re: the Parsons disc.  I guess I'll have to keep a second CD/SACD/DVD unit around just for that disc.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes there are lots of reasons why we went with this specific drive for our Cd Player.

james

smargo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:23 pm »

Thats the most ridiculous post i have seen in the past year - who really cares - I mean to even post that nonsense - and for me to even respond is even more ridiculous!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:33 pm »
Thats the most ridiculous post i have seen in the past year - who really cares - I mean to even post that nonsense - and for me to even respond is even more ridiculous!

Not sure I understand why a question from one of our Bryston customers is nonsense and why an answer is not appropriate?

james

PS - where's the basement located in a 3 story house?
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2010, 06:45 pm by James Tanner »

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:56 pm »

Hi Sco77

I discovered the same thing last summer, a Bartok disc with 44 tracks, but it also shut down my remote until the disc was ejected.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69265.msg653479#msg653479

Robert

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:10 pm »

Wow.

I guess I'll have to keep a second CD/SACD/DVD unit around just for that disc.

Sco77, if you have a computer with a CD burner you could burn a CD-R of tracks 39 and up.

Steve

rob80b

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:15 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just tried that Bartok CD (actual 48 tracks) with the firmware upgrade, it now says maxed after track 37 and stops, but still messes up the remote functions for the BCD-1 so that I still need to remove the CD and reboot the BCD-1.

Robert

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:51 am »
smargo I think you just took 'most ridiculous post of the year'  award by a landslide.  Consecutively too, good for you.  Do you not have anything better to do.

Congrats on the BCD 1

Mad Mr H

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2010, 09:00 am »

Please talk to yourself on another forum.

I have that disc, its very useful so THANK YOU for posting about it, I will burn other discs , that seems an excellent solution.

smargo

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:29 pm »
smargo I think you just took 'most ridiculous post of the year'  award by a landslide.  Consecutively too, good for you.  Do you not have anything better to do.

Agreed!! - No I don't have anything else better to do - except cause a ruckus

Im so glad to see people taking this topic so seriously - after all - the high end is strictly all business - no room for opinions or disagreements - there is no room to lighten up in this hobby - ever.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:40 pm »
Agreed!! - No I don't have anything else better to do - except cause a ruckus

Im so glad to see people taking this topic so seriously - after all - the high end is strictly all business - no room for opinions or disagreements - there is no room to lighten up in this hobby - ever.

Hi smargo,

No disrespect intended but maybe it is a language problem? When you use words like 'nonsense' and 'ridiculous' without a 'happy face':D it appears as if your being disrespectful to the very people you are accusing?

james

smargo

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:42 pm »
i mean sco77 only got to track 37 - im sure the sound in his room is way off by now - god forbid our sound isn't perfect - our world will crumble around us!

How could we live with that? - Oh my - What would happen to our identities if we allowed the sound to be off a little bit.

The most confronting thing i have found for those that care - is that if you could listen to music - thats right music - without judging your electronics for more than 2 hours at a time.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:59 pm »
i mean sco77 only got to track 37 - im sure the sound in his room is way off by now - god forbid our sound isn't perfect - our world will crumble around us!

How could we live with that? - Oh my - What would happen to our identities if we allowed the sound to be off a little bit.

The most confronting thing i have found for those that care - is that if you could listen to music - thats right music - without judging your electronics for more than 2 hours at a time.....

Hi smargo,

Well that’s certainly a valid criticism – us audiophiles and our ‘obsession with the gear rather than the music’ but I just think if it had been approached it from that perspective it would have gone over better and resulted in some valid discussion of your well made point.

james

rob80b

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:02 pm »

Hi Smargo

I believe you have misunderstood the OP, the BCD-1 because of the Phillips transport, you cannot play a CD that contains more than 37 tracks. The music in question is not not at the heart of the inquiry, same with my Naxos Bartok CD which has 48 tracks.

Robert 

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm »

Perhaps some confusion exists between CD track number and volume control setting :scratch:

I can easily relate to occurrences such as these as I am confused most of the time :duh:

Be well...