BCD-1 and Millenium cd mat question

Mott

BCD-1 and Millenium cd mat question
« on: 29 Dec 2009, 05:19 pm »
Anyone tried one of these mats with the BCD-1. Curious.

werd

Re: BCD-1 and Millenium cd mat question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:59 pm »
I am more into mousepads...... :)

Mad Mr H

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:03 pm »
If thats a matt that sits on top of the CD to dampen vibrations? then.....

I tried several makes a couple of years ago.

None fitted in the close fit Mark Levinson transport.

both I tried slipped on cd's in a HD DVD player and Blu ray player - both these units use a "pc" style cd drive system.

I returned both and the seller was not happy !!!

The instructions had even been undated to state thate these worked with Toshiba HD DVD players (& Blu ray) - I had almost every Tosh HD DVD player on the market so clearly their sales talk was utter rubbish !!!  These products were about £80-£180 GBP so not cheap.............

My final opinion on them was they would work with top loading cd players - but most of those use a "PUCK"  anyway......

Have you ever tried the marker pens that black the edge of the CD's......These are cheap and I found to be a good product, IF the CD has a clear ring on the label side then I also black that out.......

I would like to hear if others got the "CD MATT" style items to work, I think these work best on the older cd draw mech units prior to the PC style mechs.

Andy H.

Mott

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:07 am »
I'll answer my own question. I got one for X-mas. Used it. There's improvement, hard as it is to believe. And this is the BCD-1, my fave player after hearing owning much more expensive ones.
Also used it on my Luxman SACD player, again improvement.
Shocking.

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2010, 05:46 am »
Check here where a money back guarentee is offered.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/84200

Mad Mr H

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2010, 12:14 pm »
Hi,

Other similar things to consider are the cd edge rework tool - These cut the edge of the CD to a fixed angle that is said to help reduce any unwanted reflections within the CD.

I have a device that spins the disc to remove static prior to putting in the player. I bought it to try and see if I could hear a difference................As the CD mats I tried did not fit.....

Is your carbon fibre mat solid? If so then I dont the concept.......
Two solid items will have vibrations between them, so that would be a step backward.
If its flexible then I did try that concept, my worry was the addtional weight might in time stress/damage the motor drive of the player. Although cd/blu etc. can be single/double layer they are similar in weight. The matt adds weight.............

This was why I tried the edge pen to black out reflections and the other unit to spin and de static prior to putting in he player......

Could you try your mat on two different types of disc and post the results?

Disc type one has complete coverage of the printed side of the disc.
Disc type two has a full clear circle in the printed side about 10mm out from the center.

Thank you.
Andy.

Mott

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2010, 05:23 pm »
The added weight of the mat is negligible, the thin thing weighs about as much as a sheet of paper, so no way it could damage the drive. I wouldn't use it if I thought it would. It is carbon and it lays atop the whole disc, minus the center hole, but doesn't stick. It's weird.
I could rattle off a line or two of audio-critic adjective cliches about the sonic improvements ... but I don't want to be one of those guys. Only wanted to see if anyone else here has tried it.

Kindly,
Mott

Mad Mr H

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm »
So you hear a change?
(I was unable to use my versions)

One thing that was mentioned about this style of item was that it adds to the depth of the top printed film and so helps increase the dark/black level of the top printed film, with the idea that this makes it better for the player to read the disk.

Food for thought.......maybe the auti scratch clear film that you can adhere to the read side of the disk but be of use on te top as well.......Never tried them..........

Back to do you hear a change?
If so in what way?

The CD pen for me showed changes, the spin cd prior to playing to remove static I had no real opinion on, but it did no harm...........

When my BCD-1 arrives I guess I will try some things again, good to hear that mat works with the BCD-1, One more thing to play with

Andy.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm »
If the mats are made of carbon then they will absorb high freq digital noise. It does seem clever to put it on the tray as it inserts itself right into the unit. There are other products like the shakti stones (carbon) that will do the same thing but are more expensive.

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:06 am »
Hi James

I noticed tonight that there is a belt that is apparently used on the BCD-1 in the operation of the CD tray to open and close.
My questions are:
1 what is the average life span of this belt?
2 In the event it ever breaks is the belt replaceable.
3 Would I have to send it in or is it something the end user can do?
4 Also is there a compound one can use to help prolong the life of the belt?
5 Is it possible to buy some of these belts as future backups considering you can't buy more of the Phillips drives.I am aware you did buy a large number of the drives,but naturally at some point they will be used in other BCD- Players?
6 IS this belt part of the entire drive or can the belts be sold separately?
7 Do you have any of the belts in stock?

Thanks James
B.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:10 am »
Hi James

I noticed tonight that there is a belt that is apparently used on the BCD-1 in the operation of the CD tray to open and close.
My questions are:
5 Is it possible to buy some of these belts as future backups considering you can't buy more of the Phillips drives.I am aware you did buy a large number of the drives,but naturally at some point they will be used in other BCD- Players?

Thanks James
B.

Hi B

I will ask engineering - I know we have not replaced any belts so far.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:13 am »
Thank-You  James

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2010, 01:54 pm »
Hi James

My questions are:

Thanks James
B.

Hi James

Wondering if you've gotten a chance to find out more about the BCD-1.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:36 pm »
I have been away at the Vegas Show so will ask the engineering types today.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:08 pm »
Well the engineering guys are short and too the point:

1. Way longer than the laser - many many years
2. Yes
3. Send it in
4. No
5. Rubber deteriorates over time, so replacement belts will wear out just by storing them.
6. They can be bought seperately.
7. Not at this time

Engineering

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:18 pm »
Thank You James

My main concern was that in the rare event it busted or wore out that owners of the player would be left in the lurch.
Thankfully this isn't the case.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:04 pm »
talking about belts,my ol Telefunken,the belt had lasted over 20yrs :o.
Crap, I'll be in my 70s,not bad at all.Maybe I can get a few seniors to help me move my 28s into my room.