bcd-1

passlabs

Re: bcd-1
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jul 2009, 09:49 pm »
I see this weird character problem, only getting solved by someone living near bryston service center or living near bryston headquarters and being able to demostrate problem to bryston tech or engineer...

Phil A

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jul 2009, 01:40 pm »
I had another episode last night where when the disc ejects the display shows 'error' and the unit is not response to the remote or buttons on the front.  I did what I did last time.  Unplugged the cord from the back and plugged it back it and it works fine now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:40 pm »
I had another episode last night where when the disc ejects the display shows 'error' and the unit is not response to the remote or buttons on the front.  I did what I did last time.  Unplugged the cord from the back and plugged it back it and it works fine now.

Hi Phil,

Have you loaded the July 2008 software?

james

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jul 2009, 03:49 pm »

Hi Phil,

Have you loaded the July 2008 software?

james

James, no - don't believe I have it.  My serial no is 98 and I bought the unit in August 2007.  There was an update shortly after I bought it that you sent to me (I have it on my other computer which is Windows XP vs. what I'm typing on now - MAC OS) probably in the latter part of 2007.  I never loaded it as I understood it just corrected programming the BCD-1 and when you entered the last track of a CD it would stop.  That's why I indicated early in the thread it would be good if there was in the technical area with the manuals a listing of what software updates there are (numbers and dates) and what they corrected.  Until you responded in this thread about the July 2008 software I was not aware of any updates other than the one at the end of 2007. 

Even if you stop at the dealer that has the BCD-1 on the floor, they don't keep track of stuff like that.  When I've had other equipment that has required software update, I was usually the one to tell the dealer (since only the dealer was able to download it or get it).  They generally don't care about stuff like that.  I had a DVD-V/DVD-A player (no longer have it - sold it) and when  I got a firmware update the dealer got it on a CD that you stick in the player and he just gave the disc to me (even though he probably had a few dozen customers who might need it) and I gave it to the guy I sold it to.  It is just something to keep in mind when you have updates.  I understand when you want to control who gets them, but it is not stuff dealers really care about (if someone is bringing it a BCD-1 with a problem it may not be able to be repeated at the dealer in the same manner as this thread where you assumed it might be a power issue).  With the chips in the SP1.7, I'd change my own (or I could bring it to the dealer and wait for him to not be busy) and as favors to other customers I changed several of them, sometimes at their homes (people I knew from being around the store) or in the store while the dealer was tied up and I happened to be there. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jul 2009, 04:07 pm »
Ok -I am on holidays and just about to leave for Niagra Falls so send me an email at jamestanner@bryston.com ASAP and I will send you the file and instructions so at least you will have it on your MAC.  The newest software will fix that 'freeze 'issue.

james

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jul 2009, 04:53 pm »
Ok -I am on holidays and just about to leave for Niagra Falls so send me an email at jamestanner@bryston.com ASAP and I will send you the file and instructions so at least you will have it on your MAC.  The newest software will fix that 'freeze 'issue.

james

James, I sent you an E-Mail it is not a rush.  Please send it for the PC as I noted I have a DB-9 to DB-9 cable on hand and my old Windows XP 1.5G machine upstairs has the proper output.  Thanks,  Phil

rob80b

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2009, 07:21 pm »

Bizarre, my remote just stopped working with the BCd-1.
I have it programmed also for the BP25P and that is still functioning, programmed the remote for the BCD-1 still not recognized.
Did the usual and unplugged the BCD-1 (twice actually), the remote takes it out of standby but that's it.
The front panel buttons on the BCD-1 appear to still function.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jul 2009, 07:51 pm »
Checked the batteries, still no luck.

Is the firmware for mac and PC? I have an IMAC at home and an IBM laptop in my shop, I'll check to see if it will take a
DB-9 tomorrow.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jul 2009, 10:33 pm »
Ok, picked up a USB to RS232 adapter and waiting for the driver from James to see if this may solve the problem.
Noticed I got my unit  a year ago this week so it's probably just close to the expiration date  :? !   

Phil A

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jul 2009, 10:48 pm »
Ok, picked up a USB to RS232 adapter and waiting for the driver from James to see if this may solve the problem.
Noticed I got my unit  a year ago this week so it's probably just close to the expiration date  :? !   

My update worked fine.  Have only played a couple of CDs.  I just used an old Pentium 1.5G machine with a DB9 to DB9 cable as I had that on hand.  I found my USB to RS232 later (it is only a short cable and I'll eventually get a cheap longer one from Monoprice).

rob80b

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:46 pm »
Ok now I'm stumped.

I've just got the remote to work just after I disconnected and then plugged in the BCD-1 if I punched in any command just as it came out of standby with the power button on the remote , did that a few times and now all seems well. :scratch:

Robert

VOLKS

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:33 pm »
You know....I am in the market for a new and maybe(Final?) CD player and i love the reviews all the mags give the BCD-1,but for the love of god.....is this CD Player a a Ford Pinto or what?It seems like this site and others are plagued with Software issues and wierd glitches concerning the BCD-1.Its been 3 years since this CD Player came out-correct?.......so are people just discovering these issues now or reporting them or what?or is the damm thing a Lemon and we Bryston owners have to much pride to admit so?.....i ahve spent time with the unit hooked up to my 4bsst2 and BP 26 Mc/MM pre,but im actually afraid if i do buy it...that it will "Lemonize" in a few moths or go into what....."Glitch Mode"?.......any thoughts on this????

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jul 2009, 01:25 am »
It has been 2 years since the player is out and I think there has been 2 firmware upgrades (not sure exactly since there is no listing on Bryston's website).  I've had my issue with the unit freezing probably 3-4 times over the past 8-9 mos. (twice in the last month or so).  I rebooted (unplugged the unit) and it was fine.  I updated the firmware the other day.  It is my experience that very few things with hardware and software have no issues.  I've owned dozens of players over the years and the only two I've had a length of time that has had absolutely zero errors or glitches (knock wood) I can recall playing back any disc is my Marantz DV9600 universal player which in a few months will be 4 yrs. old and my Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer (which is in the basement and probably somewhere in the same neighborhood age wise as the DV9600).  I have 5 transports alone this moment in the main system (plus a couple in the bedroom and three in the basement) including the BCD-1, DV9600, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD and Philips DVD recorder.

rob80b

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:57 pm »
The problem with the remote has returned but I think I've discovered the glitch.
All of the problems have arisen with certain CDs.
I've been able to duplicate the problem with the current CD which is knocking out the remote functions, it's a CD of Bartok's 44 Duos for Two Violins on Naxos # 8.550868, there  are 48 tracks on this CD, when it arrives at track 40 it continues to play but the BCD-1 says "data" and there is no audio, and the remote functions are disabled even if the machine is turned off or disconnected as long as that CD is left in the BCD-1.
To resolve the problem it was just a matter of removing the offending CD and disconnect the power.
My previous problems with weird characters arrived from tracks that were around twenty minutes or so in length.
Not too sure why these are affecting the functioning of the BCD-1 but they are, it's definitely a software glitch as I've played all of these CDs on other units with no problems.

Robert

werd

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jul 2009, 03:20 pm »
The problem with the remote has returned but I think I've discovered the glitch.
I've been able to duplicate the problem with the current CD which is knocking out the remote functions, it's a CD of Bartok's 44 Duos for Two Violins on Naxos # 8.550868, there  are 48 tracks on this CD, when it arrives at track 40 it continues to play but the BCD-1 says "data" and there is no audio, and the remote functions are disabled even if the machine is turned off or disconnected as long as that CD is left in the BCD-1.
To resolve the problem it was just a matter of removing the offending CD and disconnect the power.
My previous problems with weird characters arrived from tracks that were around twenty minutes or so in length.
Not too sure why these are affecting the functioning of the BCD-1 but they are, it's definitely a software glitch as I've played all of these CDs on other units with no problems.

Robert

Hi Rob80b

Whats the condition of the cd look like? Any abrasions on the cd that might be causing a glitch?

Mag

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:24 pm »

Robert

I don't know how you get 48 tracks on a cd unless they are all short songs or mp3.

You may also be encountering copy protection, which your other players aren't picking up.

Then there is the conversion codex factor, which may not be a good conversion to wave. Cheap cd-r's also have a random glitch occasionally.

werd

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:26 pm »

Robert

I don't know how you get 48 tracks on a cd unless they are all short songs or mp3.

You may also be encountering copy protection, which your other players aren't picking up.

Then there is the conversion codex factor, which may not be a good conversion to wave. Cheap cd-r's also have a random glitch occasionally.

Hey thats a good idea actually, try burning that cd to a blank and play that, see if it glitches on a another cd

rob80b

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jul 2009, 06:02 pm »

Robert

Hey thats a good idea actually, try burning that cd to a blank and play that, see if it glitches on a another cd

Hi Guys

These are commercially available CDs, actually I've a few CD like this, mostly from modern day composers, also, on the other extreme with pieces running longer than thirty minutes per track.
Some CD transports do have limitations, I've been in touch with James and hopefully the Bryston team will come up with a solution.
These are rare cases and should not deter anyone from enjoying the excellent sonic benefits of the BCD-1.

Robert

95Dyna

« Reply #58 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:15 pm »
You know....I am in the market for a new and maybe(Final?) CD player and i love the reviews all the mags give the BCD-1,but for the love of god.....is this CD Player a a Ford Pinto or what?It seems like this site and others are plagued with Software issues and wierd glitches concerning the BCD-1.Its been 3 years since this CD Player came out-correct?.......so are people just discovering these issues now or reporting them or what?or is the damm thing a Lemon and we Bryston owners have to much pride to admit so?.....i ahve spent time with the unit hooked up to my 4bsst2 and BP 26 Mc/MM pre,but im actually afraid if i do buy it...that it will "Lemonize" in a few moths or go into what....."Glitch Mode"?.......any thoughts on this????

To get a perspective on this, the Ford Pinto was a terrible product with ubiquitous glitches.  The BCD-1, by anyone's measure, is an outstanding product with which a few glitches of a similar nature and of undetermined origin have manifested.  What I'm really trying to say is if you rear end a BCD-1 it won't explode into a ball of flames. :lol:

Mott

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:36 pm »

Man, I've owned a BCD-1 since Feb. and it gets lots of use daily .... hours. I've never had a glitch. Never had anything that even resembles a glitch. In fact, other than my (new) Luxman amp and myriad cables, this is the only piece of gear I've ever owned (particularly high-end CD players) that didn't have at least some kind of quirk, big or small enough to live with. Truly.
My opinion? Buy with confidence.