bcd-1

Sasha

Re: bcd-1
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:54 pm »
If it is going to help, there are a number of players that I can lock up at will with low quality CD-Rs.
It does not seem it was determined what kind of disks this happens with?

passlabs

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:00 pm »
Sasha doesn't seem to matter which cd's are used. all cd's produce the same error...

Kosta

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2009, 05:30 pm »
Well... I have the same problem with my BCD-1.  Never could get it resolved and I am going to be returning the unit to Bryston soon for repair.

Along with the forward button issue I am have Play button problems.  Regardless of the CD it sometimes will not allow me to play a cd when pressing the Play button on the remote and or on the BCD-1.  I would have to reset the BCD-1 in order for it to work again.  This seems to happen on a more frequent basis.

Again this would be my second time this player made a visit to Bryston for repair. 

Bryston is a great company that seems to care for it's costumer base and I would not sweat it for one moment BUT it does get annoying having to ship and live without BCD-1.

An internal component swop of parts should fix this.  Firm updates just added to my problems.

Let me know how you resolved your end.

Kosta

rob80b

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:12 pm »
Thanks steve but no dice. But i think i figured it out for james. Here it is. I like to use the forward button alot to get through certain parts of a song. And when i use this button and then use the next track button this is when the problem occurs, not all the time but it does happen. I discovered this by not using the forward button, then the prob went away. Something with those two buttons used in tandem.

I brought a simliar issue up a while ago, but in my case the numbers  changed to letters and the unit would freeze and need to be turned off to reset, but will freeze again if  I repeated the same procedure.
This mostly happens near the end of the discs when trying to rewind (fast- backtrack?).
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58273.0
Also while we are at it, has anyone ever noticed a slight click/tick, which happens radomaly, sort of like when a stylus incounters a spec of dust. Thought it may have been a winter thing with dry air but with summer and lots of humidity I am experiencing the same thing.

Robert

passlabs

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm »
Since more people are coming up with software errors with there bcd-1. It will be interesting to see what bryston engineers come up with....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:04 pm »
Since more people are coming up with software errors with there bcd-1. It will be interesting to see what bryston engineers come up with....

We can not seem to replicte these software issues at Bryston and we currently have about 1400 CD players out there with a few reports of wierd characters. The only thing we can think of is that noise and power line problems are somehow affecting the software? We will continue to investigate.

james

ALEX63

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2009, 01:13 am »
Hello everyone,
I have quite frequently the same problem with my unit that displays the same symbols when I press the button " next"  and will not execute the command. If I press "next" a second time it will then always go on the following track with no problem................................ ...............

passlabs

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2009, 02:05 am »
This is what we need Alex63, more people coming forward with the same software issues so bryston can give us a solution

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2009, 02:15 am »
Also while we are at it, has anyone ever noticed a slight click/tick, which happens radomaly, sort of like when a stylus incounters a spec of dust. Thought it may have been a winter thing with dry air but with summer and lots of humidity I am experiencing the same thing.

I had such a tick, and blamed everything in the system for it at different times, but despite changing everything inthe system it remained. I finally realized it was the vinyl window behind the speaker ticking with expansion and contraction from sunrise/sunset. Sounds silly, but I wish I figured it out a year ago. The vinyl on vinyl stiction sounds like electronic tick when it breaks loose. I hope this will help. I have no clue how to fix it.

ALEX63

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:51 am »
I agree with passlabs that this is a software issue and I  have to disagree with James on the noise/interference theory.
In fact I had this player for about 8 months, but I bought it 2 months old from someone in NY.  I noticed this sort of software glitch almost immediately and wrote him asking for explanations. The seller confessed that  infact he had the same issue (not disclosed at the time of the purchase).
I also tested the player using the stock cable instead of my expensive MIT Magnum AC2 that has a very effective noise soppression circuits and got the same issues (only difference being that with the stock cable the dacs of BCD-1 don't perform nearly as well as with the Mit Magnum AC2).  Furthermore in my HT room I have several dedicated 20A circuit which are totally indipendent from any other outlet in the house and their possible noise.
My point is that regardless of location, electrical circuit and of having a more or less affective power cable, the issue is costant thus the reason is likely to be a software problem, unrelated with any possible issue in the home electrical circuit Of course the plug/unplug idea doesnt' work either.

From my prospective since after all the issue is fixed pressing  twice the "next" button instead of once, I din't bothered yet to have it fixed and kept on enjoying the music played by the BDC-1 but I'm certain that this problem is going to be resolved by Bryston.
Thru the years I had issues with different components and the professionality and customer service of these guys has been always outstanding.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2009, 10:59 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys - every bit of information helps. The frustrating part for us is getting it to happen under test so we can see whats going on.

I have 3 of the CD Players at home in 3 different systems and never had 'weird characters"? Also we have many hundreds of units out there that do not seem to have these issues so it makes us think if it was software related it would be happening with all of them?

james

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2009, 12:59 pm »
I haven't had weird symbols but I've had the situation a couple of times (since the unit as been out - I think my serial no. is 98) where the unit won't read discs temporarily and the drawer open and close wouldn't respond to the remote.  Can't say what the issue was but the unit doesn't show any signs of these issues other than the couple of isolated instances.  I haven't tried updating software since the unit came out.  I'd be curious to see when these units were built and when the software was installed to see if there is something in common.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2009, 01:42 pm »
I haven't had weird symbols but I've had the situation a couple of times (since the unit as been out - I think my serial no. is 98) where the unit won't read discs temporarily and the drawer open and close wouldn't respond to the remote.  Can't say what the issue was but the unit doesn't show any signs of these issues other than the couple of isolated instances.  I haven't tried updating software since the unit came out.  I'd be curious to see when these units were built and when the software was installed to see if there is something in common.

The fact that these issues are 'isolated' is what makes me think it is dirty power supply problem. I have a Torus in each of my 3 systems and I have never had any of these issues?

All my CD Players have the latest software of July 1st 2008 loaded.

james

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:02 pm »

The fact that these issues are 'isolated' is what makes me think it is dirty power supply problem. I have a Torus in each of my 3 systems and I have never had any of these issues?

All my CD Players have the latest software of July 1st 2008 loaded.

james

James, the last time it happened (a couple of weeks back) the BCD-1 was plugged into my Torus RM20.  I didn't have the Torus when it happened the other time but BCD-1 was plugged into a difference conditioner.  While I understand dirty power supplies can cause issues, it is not the case here.  I have not kept up on the software.  James, I remember there being one update shortly after I got mine that you described as correcting an issue with programming tracks and putting the last track in the program and having the unit stop.  I downloaded the software but never installed it since I never program tracks.  Can you give a brief history of the software changes since the original units, their dates and what issues they resolved?  I'm guessing their are not many.

Phil A

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:18 pm »
James, by the way, I looked at Bryston's site for technical info (where I would think there would be info about software versions or updates) where the manuals are found and found no info.  I bought my BCD-1 at the end of August 2007 and remember now that I send you an E-Mail (with my serial no. - 98) probably within a few month after that about seeing the software update and you sent it to me but due to the fact that it supposedly did not fix anything except for the programming issue I never bothered with it.  I probably have that file on my old PC.  It's a little hard for people to report issues when there is no apparent readily available history of versions issued for what fixes and you see posts and don't know what they are running and we don't know if what we are running may have been resolved with a software fix.  I understand why you wouldn't want people to be able to download it and want to control that but information on what software was issued on what dates to fix what problems would be a welcome addition.  We had a case here of someone reporting they bought a used unit.  It would be nice if someone were contemplating buying a unit if they could ask the seller what software version they are running and also know what the latest software is.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:22 pm »
James, by the way, I looked at Bryston's site for technical info (where I would think there would be info about software versions or updates) where the manuals are found and found no info.  I bought my BCD-1 at the end of August 2007 and remember now that I send you an E-Mail (with my serial no. - 98) probably within a few month after that about seeing the software update and you sent it to me but due to the fact that it supposedly did not fix anything except for the programming issue I never bothered with it.  I probably have that file on my old PC.  It's a little hard for people to report issues when there is no apparent readily available history of versions issued for what fixes and you see posts and don't know what they are running and we don't know if what we are running may have been resolved with a software fix.  I understand why you wouldn't want people to be able to download it and want to control that but information on what software was issued on what dates to fix what problems would be a welcome addition.  We had a case here of someone reporting they bought a used unit.  It would be nice if someone were contemplating buying a unit if they could ask the seller what software version they are running and also know what the latest software is.

HI Phil,

Yes we want to control who has access to the software so it is not on the site for download. The latest software is July 08 for the CD Player and your right I guess I should post that. 

The CD Player will tell you which software you have when you turn it on.

james

rob80b

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:15 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'll list mine here

Ser# 000332  08/05 Rev 945

Screen info on turn on.

Ro 1.4  2007-08-08

Robert

ALEX63

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:20 pm »
James,
may be it would help if all the owners of bdc-1 with the software issue on pressing "next" will give you the serial number of their units.
Mine is serial #000662  R o1.7   2008 07 01

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jul 2009, 06:03 pm »
James,
may be it would help if all the owners of bdc-1 with the software issue on pressing "next" will give you the serial number of their units.
Mine is serial #000662  R o1.7   2008 07 01

Mine doesn't show anything when pressing next?  I have the same software (dated August 8, 2007) as Robert (I bought the unit at the end of August 2007) and I'm fairly certain my serial number is 98.

ALEX63

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jul 2009, 07:26 pm »
I was reading the previous postings on this topic and I noticed that Kosta had an issue with the "play" button being unrensponsive. Actually I had the same problem but only occasionally. The issue with the "next' button is much more frequent as it happens at least 30% of the times that I use this function.
I have no ground noise in my dedicated 20A power lines and I have the same issue regardless of using the bcd-1 in the evening, in the morning or afternoon, weekdays or weekends.. There are no industrial plants nearby that can eventually cause drop in tension or any kind of interference.