BDA-1 firware updates: availability?

carloscarr

BDA-1 firware updates: availability?
« on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:04 pm »
I was one of the first to buy the BDA-1 and soon afterwards installed the v1.3 firmware to correct the problem with the unit hanging when switching sample rates. About a month later, I had to send the unit in because the ROM had become corrupted for an unknown reason, and Bryston developed and installed a new firmware version to correct this problem on mine and future units. I'm wondering if as any further firmware versions are developed, how do BDA-1 owners access the firmware update files? Or perhaps Bryston suggests that only owners experiencing problems with their units update firmware, and for this they need to contact support? I can imagine improvements in firmware functionality that might be beneficial to all owners, not just those experiencing problems.
On a side note, is it possible for a firmware change to alter the unit's sonic "signature"/sound quality? I thought I noticed a subtle difference after the second firmware update, although it could have been due to a change in another component of the system.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 firware updates: availability?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:08 pm »
I was one of the first to buy the BDA-1 and soon afterwards installed the v1.3 firmware to correct the problem with the unit hanging when switching sample rates. About a month later, I had to send the unit in because the ROM had become corrupted for an unknown reason, and Bryston developed and installed a new firmware version to correct this problem on mine and future units. I'm wondering if as any further firmware versions are developed, how do BDA-1 owners access the firmware update files? Or perhaps Bryston suggests that only owners experiencing problems with their units update firmware, and for this they need to contact support? I can imagine improvements in firmware functionality that might be beneficial to all owners, not just those experiencing problems.
On a side note, is it possible for a firmware change to alter the unit's sonic "signature"/sound quality? I thought I noticed a subtle difference after the second firmware update, although it could have been due to a change in another component of the system.

Hi,

We haven't changed the BDA-1 software since July of 08 so no updates since then.  The softare version date will show when you first turn it on.

No software does not alter the sound as it is only giving the electronics instructions and is not altering the way the electronics operate.

james

bob stern

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:47 am »
We haven't changed the BDA-1 software since July of 08 so no updates since then.  The softare version date will show when you first turn it on.

James, were thinking of the BCD-1?  The BDA-1 does not have a display!  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2009, 11:09 am »

James, were thinking of the BCD-1?  The BDA-1 does not have a display!  :)

Hi Bob,

Of course - what an idiot I am!
The latest software for the BDA-1 is Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 6:21:09 PM

james

b5pt9

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:25 pm »
I bought my BDA-1 in August 2008 and feed it SPDIF coax from my Denon 3910.

Quite often now if I let the 3910 power off automatically the BDA-1 will freeze up and not pick up the digital feed when I power the 3910 back up.

When this happens the power switch on the BDA-1 does nothing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to bring it back to life.

Note I don't have the 12V trigger hooked up on the BDA-1 yet.

Will a firmware update fix this condition?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:57 pm »
I bought my BDA-1 in August 2008 and feed it SPDIF coax from my Denon 3910.

Quite often now if I let the 3910 power off automatically the BDA-1 will freeze up and not pick up the digital feed when I power the 3910 back up.

When this happens the power switch on the BDA-1 does nothing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to bring it back to life.

Note I don't have the 12V trigger hooked up on the BDA-1 yet.

Will a firmware update fix this condition?

Hi,

Yes -get the new software.  Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send you the file.

Need serial number and where purchased.

james

carloscarr

Re: BDA-1 firmware updates: availability?
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:16 pm »
I just wanted to summarize some information James Tanner provided to me:
There have been some more recent firmware upgrades than stated in his original post (which referred to sftware not firmware),
but it's highly unlikely that a change in firmware would affect sound quality
(firmware modifies the unit's control process, but doesn't affect the bitstream).
James mentioned Bryston might consider notifying BDA-1 owners of of new firmware
on the "what's new" area of the website. I think that would be helpful.

bob stern

Firmware 1.3 (11/17/08) is latest version?
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
Some time ago James sent me firmware version 1.3 dated 11/17/08.

Is that the latest version?

FYI, You need to install 3 Windows drivers if you don't have them already: comdlg32.ocx, mscomctl.ocx & mscomm32.ocx.

(I installed the firmware using VMware Fusion on a Mac and a Mac-compatible USB-to-DB9 RS232 adapter from Cables Unlimited.)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Firmware 1.3 (11/17/08) is latest version?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2009, 08:03 pm »
Some time ago James sent me firmware version 1.3 dated 11/17/08.

Is that the latest version?

FYI, You need to install 3 Windows drivers if you don't have them already: comdlg32.ocx, mscomctl.ocx & mscomm32.ocx.

(I installed the firmware using VMware Fusion on a Mac and a Mac-compatible USB-to-DB9 RS232 adapter from Cables Unlimited.)

Hi Bob,

Yes that's the latest version.

james