What is the minimum digital source output to drive 4B-SST?

95bcwh

Dear all,
   I am thinking to build a system with the following configuration:

Benchmark DAC1 + NAD C542 as transport
  Placette Passive RVC (preamp)
  Bryston 4B-SST
  Paradigm Signature S8 (88 to 91 dB sensitivity)

My main concern is whether the DAC1 + Placette passive will be sufficient to drive the Bryston 4B-SST. I have spoken to Benchmark and they claimed that the output voltage of the DAC1 is 2Vrms. The DAC1+Placette will be an "unbalanced" output to Bryston 4B-SST.

Hence I wonder if anyone can share with me, what's the minimum digital source output level required to drive the 4B-SST.

Thanks and best regards
 RV

Sebastiaan de Vries

• http://www.soundevolution.nl
Re: What is the minimum digital source output to drive 4B-SS
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2006, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
Dear all,
   I am thinking to build a system with the following configuration:

Benchmark DAC1 + NAD C542 as transport
  Placette Passive RVC (preamp)
  Bryston 4B-SST
  Paradigm Signature S8 (88 to 91 dB sensitivity)

My main concern is whether the DAC1 + Placette passive will be sufficient to drive the Bryston 4B-SST. I have spoken to Benchmark and they claimed that the output voltage of the DAC1 is 2Vrms. The DAC1+Placette will be an "unbalanced" output to Bryston 4B-SST.

Hence I wonde ...

Dear 95bcwh,

The benchmark DAC-1 provide in fixed mode way more then 2 volt. Any way you can adjust the gainfactor of the output stage on the backside with a screwdriver. You can even crack the output stage to 7 volts and more!! So it wil be work any way.

The 4BSST has a sesitivity switch on the backside. You can shoose between 1 and 2 volt. If you select 2 volt it means you reach the full output of the 4BSST when you drive him with 2 volt. If You select 1 volt you need only one volt to reach the full output.

About the Benchmark DAC-1. In "fixed" mode he sounds different then in "variable" mode. This is not only because of the extra potmeter in the signal flow in fixed moden but because of the extra stage with the Burrbown BUF634 buffers that switched in when you choose variable mode. These buffers give the DAC-1 remarkible more bass slamm. Also a slightly more present high. Everyone that have a DAC-1 should try him in variable mode to! even when you drive a input of a preamplifier!

In other words, try to use the Benchmark DAC-1 as a preamp without external passive device first! You won't be dissapointed! And yes that will work great with the 4BSST.

To answer you question short. It will work any way!

Best Regard,
Bas

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2006, 07:03 am »
Bas,
  You're so the man.. I cannot thank you enough for your reply!!!!!!!!!

Sebastiaan de Vries

• http://www.soundevolution.nl
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2006, 02:26 am »
Quote from: 95bcwh
Bas,
  You're so the man.. I cannot thank you enough for your reply!!!!!!!!!

Dear 95bcwh,

You're welcome! ;) If you have any more question's about the Bencmark DAC-1 just shoot me. I know this machine as the top of my thump. In the Netherlands my company modify the Benchmark DAC-1 on a commercial basis. We seen many of them. Please note the the Benchmark is changed inside at every revision by the manufacter. I think by now there is already a rev. E. For the people that are handy themself I have no problems to give some tip's and tricks, but you have to be a skilled technician for this kind of things.

Best Regards,
Bas